Summer 2019 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

But we have to get the players we want early , because if someone else buys them then we are stuck with the "there is money but the players we'd want do not exist" nonsense.

So ManU want lots of players in but have only signed James from Swansea so far.

The window is open for another 6 weeks, and for most PL clubs including ManU the season ended mid May, so if your argument is true then pretty much every PL club will have the same problem.

Perspective was the reason for the request ! Every fan would like signings early, but that's not how life works

I saw your f/u post but that just takes you deeper down the Dele rabbit hole and would worsen the points I made. If you actually consider the points I made, which have ample supportive evidence from his playing history, then perhaps you will see the problems that Dele brings tactically and stop pushing for his inclusion (specifically in the MF) instead of his improvement.

My post preemptively refuted your f/u rationale even before seeing it for myself which leaves me wondering why you would point that out. And even more you are suggesting that he get up with Harry (and heat maps would show he was quite often beyond Harry in previous years). This would exacerbate the situation of spacing our lines. It would be the CL all over again but teams wouldn't even need to try to create the space. And beyond that you wouldn't have the steel of Wanyama/Dembele you would have Ndombele and Winks.

You can say #noexperts but that doesn't mean you can't learn something from others. And this is an easy one to see. As easy to see as Dele and Eriksen's performance this season in the MF. The only way Dele gets where you would like to see him is if you sacrifice Sonny for him in that formation or play with 2 slow coaches up top with Dele and Harry. Neither are very appealing options.

I strongly include myself in that statement.... Nor am I closed minded on the matter. You may note that I raised the line-up as a question.

Robertson and Maguire were both decent options - but Poch presumably thought we already had decent options at both cb and lb at the time. Think I would have still liked Robertson though for his speed v Davies -so move Davies to LCB back up ?

That was following 16/17, IIRC? Rose was still out and Davies had had a damn good season deputising.

If anything you bring Robertson in and bide your time until Rose comes back.... Tho given his early struggles upon return and his gobbing off in the press you may well have seen Rose be the one shipped out.

Opening offer was 40 million plus add ons, classic Levy.

Yes it's low but I dont think anyone has come along and out bid us. In fact it's Aulas who has been trying to drum up interest from other clubs in order to create a bidding war. Doesn't seem to have worked.

Ndombele is talented but he is not the finished product

Yes it's low but I dont think anyone has come along and out bid us. In fact it's Aulas who has been trying to drum up interest from other clubs in order to create a bidding war. Doesn't seem to have worked.

As someone else said in this thread. All the bigger clubs seem to have him as plan B-C. Whereas for us he is first choice. We know it, the player knows it, Aulas knows it.

so if you did then did you learn something from posting your question or did the answers not make dent?

From you I learned that you think Dele has no discipline, has no discernible business in our squad and playing him tucked behind Kane won't work (even though we've seen it result in his best season here)....

I'm just not sure why I should take your opinion regarding a hypothetical as gospel over the other people that have also commented tho'.

Where is this “£40m is a low fee” nonsense coming from? I think a lot of people need to take some perspective.

This is the Top 50 transfer fees from Jan 2019:

If we spanked £60m on Ndombele that would be in the top 30 transfer fees of all time. For a 22 year old who was worth £7m a year ago and plays in a second tier division.

£40m is good money for a player who is by no means the finished article. It’s a good fee full stop. Not that I wouldn’t go higher but it is far from a derisory bid, especially when nobody else is in for him.

Back
Top Bottom