Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Villa about to get King for 15m and Watkins for 20-25m apparently. Both really solid, homegrown, versatily and physical forwards we could have used. Hope we don't get burned by waiting for a 'bargain' here.

I absolutely don't get why people are so pumped about Watkins?!?! Just cause he is youngish and English?

He scored goals in lower level and in case of many goals he had so much time and room... And even then I did not feel that "Oh gosh what a brilliant solution".
I don't remember when it happened last time but I got bored even watching his highlight reel. Mediocre shots, soft headers and balls softly rolled next to the post. Combination of stronger defenders and better keepers, I think he would struggle in EPL.

Ofc I get that highlights are not all there is,but if even those are unimpressive.... I don't know.

I absolutely don't get why people are so pumped about Watkins?!?! Just cause he is youngish and English?

He scored goals in lower level and in case of many goals he had so much time and room... And even then I did not feel that "Oh gosh what a brilliant solution".
I don't remember when it happened last time but I got bored even watching his highlight reel. Mediocre shots, soft headers and balls softly rolled next to the post. Combination of stronger defenders and better keepers, I think he would struggle in EPL.

Ofc I get that highlights are not all there is,but if even those are unimpressive.... I don't know.
He's a great modern forward.

Fair amount of flair, skill, technical ability and composure

While also being quick, strong, durable, agile and versatile.

This is the profile we recruited when we peaked. Athletic, strong and skillful players like Bale, Kane, Dembele, Walker etc.

tbf we are wanting him to come in as primarily a backup and someone who could be serviceable should Kane miss games. And his fee will be around 18-20m. He fills that role very well right now and could grow into a better player here.

You said that. I didn't pick up on it. I fucking love him.
I know I said that. He didn't look fluid but it was only a 30s vid from you. I reserve full judgment and take your in the interim. I keep track of what I say and what you say. Like how you devised the plan for moving Harry on. I'm keeping track.

Should we not have been all over this?

Newcastle £20m bid for Wilson accepted
Good player but seems to get a big injury every season. Knowing our luck it would be at the same time as kanes usual injury. If he stays fit then Newcastle have got a bargain. But its a gamble.

He's a great modern forward.

Fair amount of flair, skill, technical ability and composure

While also being quick, strong, durable, agile and versatile.

This is the profile we recruited when we peaked. Athletic, strong and skillful players like Bale, Kane, Dembele, Walker etc.

With all due respect, nobody can take you seriously if you are calling Ollie fucking Watkins a great modern forward !

He's a reasonably young english prospect. That's it. Nothing great about him right now so let's not over-egg the pudding. Jesus christ!

Obviously being in London and on £15 million a year helps for Jose, but I’m sure he hasn’t gone into this deal blindly, I may get called crazy but after last seasons spending it wouldn’t have been unusual for us to have set aside £75 million plus player sales for Jose to spend this season, I will obviously change my views if things stay the same when the window closes but if as I think we get in a Good backup option for Kane and another couple of squad players although not the most exciting window I would call it a pretty damn good one, if that’s our business done and we just end up with Tory deeny for Kane backup then I will happily jump ship to the anti levy Brigade.
We shall see. I think he see's it as a free hit with low expectations. Apart from a few optimistic spurs fans, no one is expecting much from us next season.

He also in the last few years said something along the lines of finishing 2nd with United being one of his best achievements, and last season he said it would have been one of his best achievements to finish 4th in the circumstances.
Gone are the days of serial chequebook man- I mean winner.
Exactly that. He has lowered his aim's now. Thats why he said 'we will be fine' rather than do well or something more ambitious. He has either lost his hunger or has seen the reality of the situation.

That's a decent comp, but he is more physical imo. I have seen a handful of games and he would fit really well in Jose's side. I really haven't seen pace like his. His first 20 yards or so are blistering. I need to watch more to get a full understanding of his qualities, but he has nice movement, a leap, and seems to find the space inside the box.

Isn't that his second time tearing an ACL? The covid break allowed him to come back from the prior one I believe.

Some people are just prone to injury.
Sounds like me in the bedroom :llorishowudoin:

It's clear that this forum is divided into 3 camps.

The anti Levy brigade who are a bunch of cunts.
The cult of Levy (a much smaller group) who are also a bunch of cunts.
The inbetweeners (majority) who recognise enic/Levy have done both good and bad things for the club... but who are also a bunch of cunts.
OFFICIAL CONFIRMATION: THE ANTI LEVY BRIGADE IS MUCH BIGGER THAN THE CULT OF LEVY :dierpochhug::fingers::dude:

Lots of experts on Patson Daka it seems over the last 24/48 hours. 🤦‍♂️

From what I can tell the only person who ever really mentioned him and seemed to know what he was all about was ElTel back in June.

Hopefully a decent shout if he does turn up.

The reporting by David Hytner is that CE told Poch at a dinner in Denmark early in the summer that would have seen him with 2 seasons left on his contract. They knew, both Poch and Daniel. Poch specifically met him in Denmark to pursuade him to sign and CE told him in no uncertain terms that it wouldn't be happening. But that was the summer of nothing where we supposedly had tons and tons of money to spend. RESPECT THE COCK RESPECT THE COCK (****) has the article.

What Hytner actually says in that article is:

"Did Eriksen want to leave Spurs at that point? It is unclear. But what was plain to Pochettino was that the Dane was considering his next move and that involved putting into place a possible exit strategy, something over which he had control"

Here's a direct Poch quote from November 2018, a few months after that meeting:

"We're not worried -- in football I'm never worried -- but I prefer that he's going to sign the new contract and spend a long time with Tottenham. It will be fantastic.

There are more from April 2019, with Poch saying the same.

What's actually been reported mostly was Eriksen was dicking around (which he's perfectly entitled to do) in 2018-19 keeping his options open. Even when he made his infamous post Denmark game comments about fancying something new he caveated it with something like "but I'm very happy at Spurs and if the right team don't come in then I'd happily stay".

The Eriksen situation was jus a fucking difficult one. Period. Pochettino didn't want to lose him. He said so. He flew to Copenhagen FFS. And I don't blame him, he was fucking pivotal and had been the most influential player along with Kane (more IMO) in Pochettino's time and was still relatively young, Levy was happy to offer him a bumper new contract, to help his manager keep a key player, or sell him if the right offer - what ever the fuck that was - from a club that Eriksen would agree to.

Last edited:
It's clear that this forum is divided into 3 camps.

The anti Levy brigade who are a bunch of cunts.
The cult of Levy (a much smaller group) who are also a bunch of cunts.
The inbetweeners (majority) who recognise enic/Levy have done both good and bad things for the club... but who are also a bunch of cunts.
Thank you so much for sorting that out, at least now I know where I stand.
:mourthumb:

Back
Top Bottom