Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The whole world had the opportunity to buy Alderweireld, at one point for the release clause of 25m (I think), and Levy had absolutely no power to stop it even if he wanted to, and no one did.

This one still baffles me today.

City for example, for them 25m is nothing, Toby can play the ball from the back so is a perfect fit and would have been an upgrade on Otamendi, Stones and Garcia. I still don't know why a team like that with a clear need would not have gone for him. He would have been huge for them this season and instead they ran out Fernandinho at CB repeatedly including the CL game in which their back 3 looked terrible.

I think we will always disagree about this. So not really worth going back and forth.
Yup (though in time I think you will come to the darkside...like moving to dunkin donuts from Tim Hortons) and nope.

I admit I was being hopeful with Son and Lo Celso because I like both of them so much and there wasn't anyone else I could even try and shoe horn into the discussion.
And you have serendipitously made my point for me. If we improve all those positions, even marginally from actual shit to functional footballer, we can easily absorb the loss of harry and whomever else. And that is only because we are so shit at so many positions. Time and again it has been demonstrated in professional sports that chasing your tail in personnel decisions to satisfy the ambitions of a star player is fruitless. When lessons are taught we need to learn them, cash in and rebuild. The time to rebuild with Harry was 2 seasons ago (incidently, around the first time Poch began publicly calling out for a rebuild). That afforded him the time to see it out and still be young enough for a move if it didn't work out.

I am not trying to be evasive but I have no idea what price we would get for Kane.
Though that BS is common here I have never felt you to be engaging in bad faith and am not assuming that now. But it's purely hypothetical. My answer would be 100M and if I'm honest he isn't worth that to me. I wouldn't pay it for him but hopefully United does...or any other price above that if DL can swing it.

For production I think there are two key factors that he brings a. the ability to win the Golden Boot each and every year and b. having other teams have to account for him more than they would for normal strikers. I imagine you would disagree to this point but I think teams need to alter their game plans for Kane. Luckily for them it has been easier to do lately because our other players aren't able to adjust or hurt them when they do this.
Golden Boot? So 30 league goals then? And yes, teams need to account for him and that is more easily done when we are a 1 man team. But if I had VVD or if City gets Koulibaly (who I think is a miserable defender as part of a collective but is probably hell 1v1) I wouldn't be too worried about Harry.

And your last sentence (bold) is important. All strikers become more dangerous when you have a multi-pronged attack. Losing Harry and improving everywhere else can see us in good stead, on balance.

if we had players who could take advantage of that like we did when Rose/Walker were in their prime with Eriksen at his peak there would be zero questions about selling Kane at all.
You could give me Rose, Walker, CE of 2017 and i would still be up for selling as even back then i wanted a more balanced team with less reliance on 1 creative player and FBs that were so technically deficient. There was only 1 player in that group you name that had an intrinsic quality that couldn't be improved upon and that was Walker's athleticism. Thus, there was room for improvement and the recruitment of players with different qualities to the existing players. That's not saying they were shit though. It's just saying they benefited mightily from work being done elsewhere.

Selling kane would be madness.

We have other sellable assets to generate funds if needed.

Finding a quality striker is hard enough let alone replacing one who scores as much as he does.

Could you imagine telling Jose were selling kane.

James Rodriguez
If I'm honest this is the Mendes deal I thought (and feared) DL was going to pull off for us in order to placate the masses. He is a good player and for them it is a VDV-type deal but underneath it all it would have been a cynical move for us that displayed a lack of ambition, leadership, and direction.

Was an ITK poster on SC for a while, now just posts on Twitter. Has some line into the club as was one of the first to call Jose coming in.

I feel like there was buzz about Jose being the replacement for awhile leading up to the sacking though. Some rando predicting that online doesn’t make him ITK

I feel like there was buzz about Jose being the replacement for awhile leading up to the sacking though. Some rando predicting that online doesn’t make him ITK
Believe it or not, I couldn’t care less. He’s got a few things right over the last few years. And there’s not many ITK types that I think are legit. Probably only him and JJetset for us.

Back
Top Bottom