Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

To me it looked like Eriksen was jaded about professional football in general, and he needed a change of scenery to re-ignite his interest. I don't really blame him for that, but I still think his comments after the final were dumb as fook.

It was a lose/lose for the club and Eriksen. If we sold him earlier, we might not have reached the final. If we waited any longer, he would've gone for free.

"The midfielder’s time in Milan has been difficult with the coronavirus lockdown meaning he was unable to find a house and was in fact staying at the club’s training base."

:eriksenserious:

...Killer mental image of him holed up in a corner in a sleeping bag, eating baked beans out of a can. :vert:
If Christian was staying at the training ground, did his missus stay with Vertonghen then?

:kaneshh:

I don't doubt Poch thought he could convince him but I don't think anyone can say it was the correct decision at this point. I get it, hindsight, but the alarm bells were going of in 2018 when he wouldn't sign a new deal.
The reporting by David Hytner is that CE told Poch at a dinner in Denmark early in the summer that would have seen him with 2 seasons left on his contract. They knew, both Poch and Daniel. Poch specifically met him in Denmark to pursuade him to sign and CE told him in no uncertain terms that it wouldn't be happening. But that was the summer of nothing where we supposedly had tons and tons of money to spend. RESPECT THE COCK RESPECT THE COCK (****) has the article.

The guy wins more than 4 aerial duels per game, yet they forgot to mention it as one of his strengths. Also, "Holding on the ball" is not one of his weaknesses. Every single piece about him will tell you that Metz is a very poor team in terms of creativity, and Diallo helps his team exactly by holding on the ball and allowing other players to slowly join the attack.

I didn't watch Metz last season, and I don't want to pretend that I did. But I expect the rest of this list to be BS as well.
TBF I wasn't making a comment on the player more just the amusing list. I don't really have an opinion on Diallo outside of he seems fine, I guess?

It was the wrong decision, but the fact that poch continued to play him right till the end makes me think that he didn’t want him sold , it’s a strange one as surely levy must have known that he was running his contract down , but I doubt he would sell a player without the managers consent ?
It told me that Poch knew he was leaving and wanted to leave but was priced out of a move...thus the loss of focus and form. Poch was always sympathetic and said multiple times that the fans didn't understand what was going on. Everytime CE was on the bench Poch was almost apologetic when he brought him on to 'save' us.

Hindsight is a great thing , who knows we may be talking in a few years saying how we should have cashed in on Kane and sold him for £200 million and reinvested the cash , I’m not advocating selling Kane it’s crazy talk but who knows what we will think in 2 years time
I am and have been advocating for it and we will be sorry for not doing it. Hindsight is BS for me. There is not a single player on this team that I would not entertain an offer for...at all times. This team has a ceiling and the only way to go beyond that is to foster a new dynamic and one way to do that is to bring in new players. another is a new manager which is what DL did because he was cheap and disloyal. We're trying the manager (and some inexpensive players) but when that doesn't work the logical next step is the players.

Why would we sell dele now ? I have it on Good faith he will be worth at least £200 million after this season so I think we should wait and sell him for more next summer? :mourthumb:
Yes, yes I've been dutifully informed of that too. My bad. Keep Dele at all costs...he's part of our spine.

Forgive me if I am misunderstanding your point here, and this could be a completly self-serving take, but it seems you are advocating selling off our best players and reinvesting said money. Are Kane and Dele next? It's ok, it's just me here. No one else is paying attention (except Airfixx of course because he wants me to notice him today because of his obsession with me exemplified by his petty Xs and the fact that he will be reading this post even though he knows he's on my ignore list...but he just can't quit me!!!!) That could be another 150M right now from which we could make awesome moves.
I'm saying that if players don't intend to sign another contract than we need to sell them when they have value. Eriksen/Toby both had no intention of re-signing under Poch. Dier is a different story, but if we could have gotten £35-40m for him we should have done it (also, this was 2017 not 2018, my mistake). Apparently we quoted a price of £50m and this was after the season where Wanyama displaced him as the #1 DM - he was effectively our third CB/second DM at the time.

Also, if Dele/Kane have no intention of staying with the team when they have two years left on their deals than we should look to move on from them, but since they are both signed through 2024 it's not something the club would need to worry about until 2022.

TBF I wasn't making a comment on the player more just the amusing list. I don't really have an opinion on Diallo outside of he seems fine, I guess?
I understood - perhaps I should have answered the original post.

He seems fine as player. I like the fact that he is a physical striker. Our new signing should be able to replace Kane - cup competitions, etc -, but also to be an impact substitute when we are chasing results - alongside Kane. Not to mention that he is a "good finisher".

I'm saying that if players don't intend to sign another contract than we need to sell them when they have value. Eriksen/Toby both had no intention of re-signing under Poch. Dier is a different story, but if we could have gotten £35-40m for him we should have done it (also, this was 2017 not 2018, my mistake). Apparently we quoted a price of £50m and this was after the season where Wanyama displaced him as the #1 DM - he was effectively our third CB/second DM at the time.
I knew what you meant. I was intentionally misrepresenting it to align it with my stance on Kane and any other player. That's why I said 'self-serving interpretation'

I would take issue witht he bold. CE wanted to go and it had little to do with Poch. As far as Toby is concerned, cosidering what has been put out in media whispers then that is DL not backing his manager since Toby should have been shown the door after those shenanigans. And then, to make matters worse, DL signs an aging player with clear signs of losing it.

Also, perhaps my memory is failing me but I thought Mou made the push for Dier the summer Wanyama came ie the summer after his stint at DM for us/the Leicester year. Could be wrong on that.

Also, if Dele/Kane have no intention of staying with the team when they have two years left on their deals than we should look to move on from them, but since they are both signed through 2024 it's not something the club would need to worry about until 2022.
My feeling is the club should be 'worried' about that right now. Dele should have been gone already and we probably should move Kane this year as the teams that can afford him will probably not be looking for a striker next year. And I'm more than fine with both leaving. And it's better to do something now than waiting until you have to do it.

Last edited:
Is it small time though?

Man City decided that both Van Dijk and Maguire weren't worth the fees being asked and walked away
The dippers said no to Jamal Lewis cos they didnt think he was worth it.
Never pay more for a player than you think hes worth. Even if another club thinks he is worth it. Selling clubs try to set up bidding wars cos its to their benefit. Call their bluff and walk away

Otherwise, you end up paying 35 million for Andy Carroll.
But the balance has to be right otherwise you go through a couple of transfer windows by buying no one.

I am and have been advocating for it and we will be sorry for not doing it. Hindsight is BS for me. There is not a single player on this team that I would not entertain an offer for...at all times. This team has a ceiling and the only way to go beyond that is to foster a new dynamic and one way to do that is to bring in new players. another is a new manager which is what DL did because he was cheap and disloyal. We're trying the manager (and some inexpensive players) but when that doesn't work the logical next step is the players.

I am sure we will continue to disagree about this (although hopefully at least in a civil manner) but I want to see the plan before I think moving Kane makes sense.

i think he is a much different player, in terms of skill, role, off field, leadership etc. from guys like Eriksen, Dier, Toby or the much used example Coutinho. I just don't see a likely route to us getting better by going this route.

Even with say 200 million I think the chances we get a world class player like Kane coming in are slim to none and I am not sure you can win much without world class players. Lloris might still be at that level, Son and GLC are close but outside of that I don't see a single guy that is close to that level, I would rather see us try to add more guys like that to Kane than hope if we sell him we would actually bring in guys at that level.

But this is also like my earlier comment about if you are worried about the ability to buy it is time to focus on changing that rather than not selling, however with Kane I think the downside is way higher and way more likely than the upside which I really see as small and highly unlikely.

"The midfielder’s time in Milan has been difficult with the coronavirus lockdown meaning he was unable to find a house and was in fact staying at the club’s training base."

:eriksenserious:

...Killer mental image of him holed up in a corner in a sleeping bag, eating baked beans out of a can. :vert:

All that money and he couldn't find a house, if I earned half that I'd find a nice house and load of prostitutes to go in it. :myword:

My feeling is the club should be 'worried' about that right now. Dele should have been gone already and we probably should move Kane this year as the teams that can afford him will probably not be looking for a striker next year. And I'm more than fine with both leaving. And it's better to do something now that waiting until you have to do it.

Who do you see as be willing and able to buy him?

He doesn't seem like the usual Barca player and they already have Greissman and look to be set on Lautaro.

Madrid has Benzema, but maybe are willing to move on from him.

Bayern with Lewandowski doesn't seem to be a fit.

Are City ready to move on from Aguero?

Would PSG have him play between Mbappe and Neymar when they have Icardi?

I don't think Athletico can afford him can they? Is that a massive step up for him?

Juve probably needs a proper striker although they seem like a mess right now.

Back
Top Bottom