Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Villa seem to be targeting Brewster now. Hope we get Watkins
I like how Liverpool supporters act like £20m for Brewster is a low fee. Every young prospect is apparently £50m+ now.

Also, if this is true, it may in fact be a wage issue for Villa with Watkins or he prefers Spurs because the fee is the same. I guess we will find out.

- Who between 2018 and 2020 made bids for Eriksen and how much was bid?
(By the end of last summer we reportedly wanted 50m which was fair.)

- Toby was available for 20m last summer... No-one took a bite. Jose wanted him at Utd in Summer 18 but Utd said no.

- Dier > United story was Summer 17.
LOL - what utter lies again

I like how Liverpool supporters act like £20m for Brewster is a low fee. Every young prospect is apparently £50m+ now.

Also, if this is true, it may in fact be a wage issue for Villa with Watkins or he prefers Spurs because the fee is the same. I guess we will find out.
Tbh Brewster actually had a great season last year and looks pretty good. 10 goals in 20 apps for Swansea. Only 20 and English too.

Even Newcastle is getting Jamal Lewis for about 15m and albeit homegrown, is acually from NIR. Homegrown is expensive, even for mediocre talent.

Our striker problem is constantly passed off as "we can't sign anyone because they wouldn't want to be on the bench while Kane plays"

Yet other teams seem to always manage to have spare strikers on their bench.
How can they manage it and we can't?

I used OGS and Martial off the top of my head, just because United always have strikers on their bench. They are unarguably a massive club who almost certainly do what's best for MUFC and not particularly care about the players they pay good money to.

We seem to be stuck in this rut of "we won't get this player or that player as they won't be backup"

All players, Kane included, should work for their place. Anyone coming should be told if they're good enough they get games, if they'ren not, they get paid enough to get over it.
Love this!!!!

At some point the purchasing of 'back-up' level players degrades the level of your team. I have, for quite some time, advocated the recruiting on players 'on top' of the players we have. It's the only way to get better at our financial level in the football food chain. But can you see Daniel green lighting the purchasing of 2 actual quality players/prospects for each position? that would be way beyond the 20/80 by which he does his dealings.

And at the risk of damaging my recent detente with my newly found Canuck friend Igula Igula , if we are really concerned about finding someone that would be willing to 'backup' Kane there are at least 2 solutions to that problem. We should investigate them.

I do not think that Liverpool would sell him to us, if they would even sell and not loan him to anyone, but Brewster would be a interesting addition.

One of the ways to get someone who can push Kane is to get a talent youngster that could grow into that role. Also, likely easier to convince a younger player to sit on the bench during the EPL games while getting experience at the Europa League level over an older player that still thinks he is ready to break out as the next Pele if he just gets his chance!

If Spurs want to avoid a "bidding war" for Watkins then figure out what wages he wants to be second choice at a big club and if he wants to come and play for Mourinho. If yes to both, offer £15-18m knowing that the player wants to come to Spurs so you have the upper hand and get on with it. If the player doesn't want to come or commit or is "keeping his options open", than move on to another target like Diallo or whomever.

It's basically what happened with Doherty and Hojbjerg. It's not something you should do every time but given the apparent financial conditions the club is imposing on the window it's better than trying to get a fee down a few million.

Personal terms and everything else are all sorted before bids are put in nowadays if teams are serious about buying a player.

According to this report Inter had Eriksen on a free transfer last season :thumbdown: and they now want rid and value him at around £35m.

Inter will consider any offers around the £35m mark for the player they signed on a free transfer from Spurs in January.

According to this report Inter had Eriksen on a free transfer last season :thumbdown: and they now want rid and value him at around £35m.

Inter will consider any offers around the £35m mark for the player they signed on a free transfer from Spurs in January.

"The midfielder’s time in Milan has been difficult with the coronavirus lockdown meaning he was unable to find a house and was in fact staying at the club’s training base."

:eriksenserious:

...Killer mental image of him holed up in a corner in a sleeping bag, eating baked beans out of a can. :vert:

The point is we'd use that money to buy other players. Dier/Toby in 2018 are not irreplaceable. Eriksen would have been the biggest one but if he has no intention of signing a new contract then you have to sell him. These are the sort of hard choices that need to be made - you can't just hope they are going to change their mind.
Re Erisken I’m sure Levy would have happily cashed in when he was down to 2 years and not signing another contract , but If I was a betting man I would say poch didn’t want him sold and thought he could convince him to stay for a rebuild.

Tbh Brewster actually had a great season last year and looks pretty good. 10 goals in 20 apps for Swansea. Only 20 and English too.

Even Newcastle is getting Jamal Lewis for about 15m and albeit homegrown, is acually from NIR. Homegrown is expensive, even for mediocre talent.
One season with 10 in 20 with Swansea in the Champo is good, which is why the reported fee is £20m and not like £8-10m.

I'm not saying he isn't good/has promise, but if we were to put Parrott up for sale at 19 years old next summer after he banged in 15 for Millwall in 30 appearances, we may get £20m for him, not £40-50m.

Re Erisken I’m sure Levy would have happily cashed in when he was down to 2 years and not signing another contract , but If I was a betting man I would say poch didn’t want him sold and thought he could convince him to stay for a rebuild.
I don't doubt Poch thought he could convince him but I don't think anyone can say it was the correct decision at this point. I get it, hindsight, but the alarm bells were going of in 2018 when he wouldn't sign a new deal.

Okay well that's fair, I don't even think we are disagreeing in that sense, I just think people tend to think only Spurs operate this way (multiple targets, assigning values, etc..) when it reality everyone does except City and Chelsea, to a certain extent.

I don't think Liverpool prioritize one or the other - they operate within a budget and system, they have just been better at target identification than basically anyone else in Europe from 2016-2018, and have had the finances to provide the necessary wages to bring those players in. Reputable journalists are not fabricating links, but what often gets lost in the shuffle is everything else - values, actual bids, prioritized targets, and so forth, all of which are much more important than whether or not a particular club is interested in a particular player.

The Grealish example is a good one because there was obviously interest that was complicated with the takeover and new owners at Villa. Levy should have some blame for not acquiring targets, but it's not as cut and dry as it just being Levy...with the exception for sales.
Nice post, and agree on most. One issue is about City. They may be loaded but they do seem to set a valuation and stick to it. They may spend 50M/position and fucking backup player but they stick to their guns on the number...at least the public number they report to UEFA and the PL.

Eriksen should have been gone in 2018 when he wouldn't sign a contract. Dier should have been sold with Toby to United as well. That's probably £150m in player sales based on reports at the time. If you look at Chelsea, Liverpool...the big spenders the past couple years, all of their transfer budget is basically from players sales. Now Levy may or may not be dicking around with Aurier over £5m. That's a much bigger issue than who we may or may not be buying.
Forgive me if I am misunderstanding your point here, and this could be a completly self-serving take, but it seems you are advocating selling off our best players and reinvesting said money. Are Kane and Dele next? It's ok, it's just me here. No one else is paying attention (except Airfixx of course because he wants me to notice him today because of his obsession with me exemplified by his petty Xs and the fact that he will be reading this post even though he knows he's on my ignore list...but he just can't quit me!!!!) That could be another 150M right now from which we could make awesome moves.

I don't doubt Poch thought he could convince him but I don't think anyone can say it was the correct decision at this point. I get it, hindsight, but the alarm bells were going of in 2018 when he wouldn't sign a new deal.
It was the wrong decision, but the fact that poch continued to play him right till the end makes me think that he didn’t want him sold , it’s a strange one as surely levy must have known that he was running his contract down , but I doubt he would sell a player without the managers consent ? Hindsight is a great thing , who knows we may be talking in a few years saying how we should have cashed in on Kane and sold him for £200 million and reinvested the cash , I’m not advocating selling Kane it’s crazy talk but who knows what we will think in 2 years time

Bad call, but if Levy says "No, Mauricio; we're selling him", fans would cry: "He's selling players from underneath his manager".

Backing your manager doesn't only = warchests.

Nice post, and agree on most. One issue is about City. They may be loaded but they do seem to set a valuation and stick to it. They may spend 50M/position and fucking backup player but they stick to their guns on the number...at least the public number they report to UEFA and the PL.

Forgive me if I am misunderstanding your point here, and this could be a completly self-serving take, but it seems you are advocating selling off our best players and reinvesting said money. Are Kane and Dele next? It's ok, it's just me here. No one else is paying attention (except Airfixx of course because he wants me to notice him today because of his obsession with me exemplified by his petty Xs and the fact that he will be reading this post even though he knows he's on my ignore list...but he just can't quit me!!!!) That could be another 150M right now from which we could make awesome moves.
Why would we sell dele now ? I have it on Good faith he will be worth at least £200 million after this season so I think we should wait and sell him for more next summer? :mourthumb:

TBF, finishing is pretty important for a striker...

:mourweird:
The guy wins more than 4 aerial duels per game, yet they forgot to mention it as one of his strengths. Also, "Holding on the ball" is not one of his weaknesses. Every single piece about him will tell you that Metz is a very poor team in terms of creativity, and Diallo helps his team exactly by holding on the ball and allowing other players to slowly join the attack.

I didn't watch Metz last season, and I don't want to pretend that I did. But I expect the rest of this list to be BS as well.

There would have been uproar if Eriksen, Dier and Toby were all sold.
That's what leaders are for. And someone is paid the best wage in the business to make these decisions. And not everyone would have been upset with any or ALL of these players being sold. The balance is in the replacement.

That was the spine of our team at the time. You don't just cash in as soon as someone comes in with a decent offer.
Ahhhh, the conventional wisdom. How's that working out for us right now? You do your dealings from a position of strength. 40M for Dier was a good price for a not-so-good player that doesn't warrant a foreign spot and could have easily been improved upon...in fact he was improved upon for 12M that exact summer.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom