Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

We do try that, and its increasingly difficult in the modern game, as agents will tout their player round to get a better deal, and therefore more for themselves.

To show how long deals can take ..i knew we had bid for Steed Malbranque about a month before the deal was done. The reason I knew was cos one of Fulhams fitness trainers worked part time as a PT at my Gym.

Quite often the press gets wind of a deal late on, which gives the impression a deal was done quickly. The reality is its taken a month

Levy said in All or Nothing that everything happens in the last week of the window.

But as it takes a month we are three weeks short of a Watkins.

*does pyramid hands*

He’s a great young player. Would he be too expensive for our limited budget? Seems likely he would unless Levy’s actually doing some long-term planning and realising that we could be facing life without Kane if we miss out on CL again.

My concern would be it is one very good season in a weak league for a team that is by far the best team in the league and has a history of having high goal scorers.

I think it is worth the risk to bring in a guy that certainly has talent but if he is the main back-up to Kane and takes time to adjust coming from the Austrian League as a 21 year old we could be in trouble.

I think bringing in a 3rd guy for dirt cheap as added cover would be great but that likely gets expensive, unless it is Troy MF'ing Deeney.

My concern would be it is one very good season in a weak league for a team that is by far the best team in the league and has a history of having high goal scorers.

I think it is worth the risk to bring in a guy that certainly has talent but if he is the main back-up to Kane and takes time to adjust coming from the Austrian League as a 21 year old we could be in trouble.

I think bringing in a 3rd guy for dirt cheap as added cover would be great but that likely gets expensive, unless it is Troy MF'ing Deeney.
I understand what you’re saying about the league, but they also are a great exporter of players as a club and have one of the best scouting networks in Europe. I always take notice of players doing well there as ones to watch.

I am sure we will continue to disagree about this (although hopefully at least in a civil manner) but I want to see the plan before I think moving Kane makes sense.
Absolutely. I am always civil in the face of good faith and civility...not to mention good football discussion. But there are others that don't want to play in that sandbox and they get treated accordingly.

i think he is a much different player, in terms of skill, role, off field, leadership etc. from guys like Eriksen, Dier, Toby or the much used example Coutinho. I just don't see a likely route to us getting better by going this route.
Yes, he is different but I do see a route toward getting better...and it would not be difficult to get there. There was a thread earlier in the summer about each poster being the DOF and constructing a team that made us better. It was a good exercise. But the gist is getting better as a collective over the reliance on 1, 2, or 3 people that cannot create for themselves but score goals. Point being, if you improve 8 or 9 positions you can absorb the loses elsewhere. None of our players are that special that they can't be replaced. There is only 1 player in world football that can't be replaced and even his team should have let him go this year.

Even with say 200 million I think the chances we get a world class player like Kane coming in are slim to none and I am not sure you can win much without world class players. Lloris might still be at that level, Son and GLC are close but outside of that I don't see a single guy that is close to that level, I would rather see us try to add more guys like that to Kane than hope if we sell him we would actually bring in guys at that level.
I say we have no WC players...not a one. I can EASILY name 10 CBs in world football from which Harry would get nothing and that's just based on 1v1 athleticism. VVD has shown us that if we weren't able to conclude it beforehand. I cannot do that with the aging lewandowski or the speedy Mbappe or Haaland.

GLC is not and never will be WC and Sonny has his moments but lacks a rounded attacking game and consistency to be considered such. Lloris has his moments of madness but he is definitely good enough still (though we should be looking).

But this is also like my earlier comment about if you are worried about the ability to buy it is time to focus on changing that rather than not selling, however with Kane I think the downside is way higher and way more likely than the upside which I really see as small and highly unlikely.
And just because you can't buy properly doesn't mean you shouldn't sell. Just as you are having faith that players will perform to a certain level this season we need to have faith that recruitment will improve. Changes have been made to the shitty recruitment that got us to the CL (but we did lose Poch who was a major part of that).

Name you expected level of production for harry/what we'd lose and the price we'd get for him and I'll construct your plan.

So in summary - two more in-comings

Kim Min Jae
Diallo or Watkins

that's fine with me.

I don't get bringing in Kim Min Jae and selling/loaning Foyth. Maybe if the loan is to get him more experience but I'd rather keep the younger, better Foyth than adding a meh Kim Min Jae that offers little to nothing for us as a player.

I know Levy always says the transfer window is tough but really its very easy:

Sell: Dier, Aurier, Rose, Moura, Sissoko

Buy: Skriniar, Reguilon, Watkins, Tavares, Brooks, Sangare

i would love to add Thiago or another CM but I don't that that is realistic, LOL.

Yes, he is different but I do see a route toward getting better...and it would not be difficult to get there. There was a thread earlier in the summer about each poster being the DOF and constructing a team that made us better. It was a good exercise. But the gist is getting better as a collective over the reliance on 1, 2, or 3 people that cannot create for themselves but score goals. Point being, if you improve 8 or 9 positions you can absorb the loses elsewhere. None of our players are that special that they can't be replaced. There is only 1 player in world football that can't be replaced and even his team should have let him go this year.

I haven't seen that thread, I will take a look for it and read it over.

I say we have no WC players...not a one. I can EASILY name 10 CBs in world football from which Harry would get nothing and that's just based on 1v1 athleticism. VVD has shown us that if we weren't able to conclude it beforehand. I cannot do that with the aging lewandowski or the speedy Mbappe or Haaland.

I think we will always disagree about this. So not really worth going back and forth.

GLC is not and never will be WC and Sonny has his moments but lacks a rounded attacking game and consistency to be considered such. Lloris has his moments of madness but he is definitely good enough still (though we should be looking).

I admit I was being hopeful with Son and Lo Celso because I like both of them so much and there wasn't anyone else I could even try and shoe horn into the discussion.

Name you expected level of production for harry/what we'd lose and the price we'd get for him and I'll construct your plan.

I am not trying to be evasive but I have no idea what price we would get for Kane. I think he is a tough one to judge because of Covid and because there are so few comparables and so few teams that would even be in the mix for him.

For production I think there are two key factors that he brings a. the ability to win the Golden Boot each and every year and b. having other teams have to account for him more than they would for normal strikers. I imagine you would disagree to this point but I think teams need to alter their game plans for Kane. Luckily for them it has been easier to do lately because our other players aren't able to adjust or hurt them when they do this.

I think guys like Vardy, Ings and Aubumayang (however you spell that losers name) bring part a I do not think either bring part b. I think that Kane still has that special ability that makes team worry about playing him, if we had players who could take advantage of that like we did when Rose/Walker were in their prime with Eriksen at his peak there would be zero questions about selling Kane at all.

He’s a great young player. Would he be too expensive for our limited budget? Seems likely he would unless Levy’s actually doing some long-term planning and realising that we could be facing life without Kane if we miss out on CL again.
I’m not buying this limited Budget , I’m fully expecting a net spend of at least £50 million come the close of the window.

Who do you see as be willing and able to buy him? He doesn't seem like the usual Barca player and they already have Greissman and look to be set on Lautaro. Madrid has Benzema, but maybe are willing to move on from him. Bayern with Lewandowski doesn't seem to be a fit. Are City ready to move on from Aguero? Would PSG have him play between Mbappe and Neymar when they have Icardi? I don't think Athletico can afford him can they? Is that a massive step up for him? Juve probably needs a proper striker although they seem like a mess right now.
Exactly! There are limited situations that fit for Harry and for most, if not all, of these teams his profile wouldn't warrant the shakeup that would be necessary. So you should question yourself as to whether you cash in on 'X' (you can name the number) now, if you can absorb the sporting loss, or wait and watch it depreciate.

There are maybe 5 teams that could and would make the outlay; Barca, RM, City, United, PSG. That's it! Not Barca profile previously but with Koeman IDK. RM and PSG probably not since PSG have Mbappe now and RM are looking to get him. So that leaves City and United. Not sure he is a Pep player but it does look like they want a striker. And there have been reports already that we've knocked back interest from both this summer which I think could have been a bad idea depending on the numbers.

ROvX7pd.png

Steve Hitchen's detailed scouting analysis ?

I don't get bringing in Kim Min Jae and selling/loaning Foyth. Maybe if the loan is to get him more experience but I'd rather keep the younger, better Foyth than adding a meh Kim Min Jae that offers little to nothing for us as a player.

I know Levy always says the transfer window is tough but really its very easy:

Sell: Dier, Aurier, Rose, Moura, Sissoko

Buy: Skriniar, Reguilon, Watkins, Tavares, Brooks, Sangare

i would love to add Thiago or another CM but I don't that that is realistic, LOL.
Tavares is a good look I signed him on fifa

Dier should have been sold with Toby to United as well. That's probably £150m in player sales based on reports at the time. If you look at Chelsea, Liverpool...the big spenders the past couple years, all of their transfer budget is basically from players sales. Now Levy may or may not be dicking around with Aurier over £5m. That's a much bigger issue than who we may or may not be buying.

Two good examples of how the failure to move players on and re-invest isn't always Levy dicking around.

Two days ago I posted Poch's own account from his book of the ManU pursuit of Dier and his conversation with Dier where it was Poch who told him he wasn't letting him go to Utd.

The whole world had the opportunity to buy Alderweireld, at one point for the release clause of 25m (I think), and Levy had absolutely no power to stop it even if he wanted to, and no one did.

Levy said in All or Nothing that everything happens in the last week of the window.

But as it takes a month we are three weeks short of a Watkins.

*does pyramid hands*
I understand the logic, and I think we divided our market in two. The part 1 was a DM and a RB - the first team needed improvements in both positions. We were quick and effective in getting two Premier League proven players without spending much. The part 2 is the squad, and it makes sense that we are waiting for opportunities - last week bargains, etc.

The only problem with that strategy is the backup striker position. I don't blame Levy or the board - we couldn't see it coming until Woolwich won the FA Cup -, but the reality is that we need a backup striker now, as soon as possible - we can't wait for the window's last week.

Back
Top Bottom