Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

True. I do remember him giving our defence a torrid time though when we beat them 4 nil (when Dele scored that great goal). Sounds a funny thing to remember, maybe it was because of the FM thing that I kept an eye on him, but I remember him looking a pest. Saying that, he'd have had to improve markedly since then to be a worthwhile purchase.
He is an intelligent footballer. Really good at bringing others into play. Can ping a 60-yard pass. Rennes are as dull as dishwasher to watch because they are so lacking in creativity. He gets very little service, and ends up dropping deep to try to help them create chances, so I wouldn't pay a great deal of attention to his goal stats.

I think Bergwijn will be a good player for us but yeah you could use him as an example

We were crying out for an out and out striker and a DM in January to try and salvage the season and we ended up with neither but signed someone in a position we were not as desperate for
Bergwijn was a trademark “spreadsheet” signing, if you will. We have obviously been scouting him for some time (we were heavily linked with him in the summer), thought he could be a decent investment, young, potential to improve, can help the team in time, and we saw an opportunity to get him for a lowish fee. But he was not a signing that the team really needed or the manager wanted. You could probably class Gedson in that bracket too.

You just made the bus-conductor bus-conductor 's day

Niang will never be Adebayor or Drogba class, but I think he represents much better value than the likes of Osimhen or Edouard. Strong enough for the PL, but got good feet for a big lad, his hold up play is superior to both the other two mentioned and he can score goals.

He was a highly regarded young kid who made the jump to a bigger club too soon, they didn't know what to do with him so a ton of short term loans here there and everywhere followed, he got no rhythm or form.

Once he found a proper home again at Rennes and played regular football, started to look decent again.

Like I said, he'll never be top drawer, but I think he's a really good value option as a back up rotation, who can also play in the wide forward roles occasionally.

I think the sensible thing is to buy a short-term striker for this summer and then properly invest next season
Edouard would be nice but he'd be £30m+ surely , we can't be spending that this summer when we need a CDM and a RB

That Rennes player , not sure he's what we need his stats aren't too impressive and he won't be cheap.

Niang was every Football Manager players wet dream on the game in 2012. First player you'd try to sign. Agree that he moved to a big club too soon, and struggled from there.

We seem to be the only club who struggle to bring in a quality option to play with/instead of Kane. I don't blame Levy for not offering stupid wages, because none of the options that come in are going to be as good as Kane. But surely there are options that want to prove themselves to be as good or better than Kane.

Niang will never be Adebayor or Drogba class, but I think he represents much better value than the likes of Osimhen or Edouard. Strong enough for the PL, but got good feet for a big lad, his hold up play is superior to both the other two mentioned and he can score goals.

He was a highly regarded young kid who made the jump to a bigger club too soon, they didn't know what to do with him so a ton of short term loans here there and everywhere followed, he got no rhythm or form.

Once he found a proper home again at Rennes and played regular football, started to look decent again.

Like I said, he'll never be top drawer, but I think he's a really good value option as a back up rotation, who can also play in the wide forward roles occasionally.

He may not be that far off the Adebayor we used to know. Niang just needs to learn how to get on the end of tap-ins. Don’t know if it’s his positioning or down to a lack of service.

I’d take him over Edouard, cos he works harder and moves faster. If it takes £70m to buy Osimhen, I wouldn’t even consider it.

I think him crashing his Ferrari, when a kid at Milan, made things a lot worse. He was regarded a big talent so it got a lot media attention. I really don’t think Milan knew what to do at the time, and the negative attention that followed may have influenced the way it went for Niang.

He may not be that far off the Adebayor we used to know. Niang just needs to learn how to get on the end of tap-ins. Don’t know if it’s his positioning or down to a lack of service.

I’d take him over Edouard, cos he works harder and moves faster. If it takes £70m to buy Osimhen, I wouldn’t even consider it.

I think him crashing his Ferrari, when a kid at Milan, made things a lot worse. He was regarded a big talent so it got a lot media attention. I really don’t think Milan knew what to do at the time, and the negative attention that followed may have influenced the way it went for Niang.
Milan was all kinds of chaos as well at the time.

And as someone else here said. Niang tends to drift downwards in the field to help the build up due to lack of creativity in the Rennes midfield. which probably affects his positioning. Like Harry has had to do a bit when Eriksen was off the boil.

Hopefully Gio and Tanguy can carry that load to benefit both Harry and whoever ends up his rotation option.

Niang was every Football Manager players wet dream on the game in 2012. First player you'd try to sign. Agree that he moved to a big club too soon, and struggled from there.

We seem to be the only club who struggle to bring in a quality option to play with/instead of Kane.
I don't blame Levy for not offering stupid wages, because none of the options that come in are going to be as good as Kane. But surely there are options that want to prove themselves to be as good or better than Kane.

United don't even have a main striker.

If it wasn't for Abraham fortunately acclimatising well to the EPL, they'd have started the season with Giroud as #1.

Liverpool have Origi....

None of this is to say there is no-one on this earth who ticks the boxes for us, but lets maintain perspective here.

If it wasn't for Abraham fortunately acclimatising well to the EPL, they'd have started the season with Giroud as #1.

Liverpool have Origi....

None of this is to say there is no-one on this earth who ticks the boxes for us, but lets maintain perspective here.
We missed out pre seadon on Bas Dost for only £7million. Experienced, good strike rate, a much better Llorente. Instead we phoned Guinness book of Records and asked "Whats the record for number of attacking midfielderd"?

We must have come up short as we added Bergwijn in January.

We missed out pre seadon on Bas Dost for only £7million. Experienced, good strike rate, a much better Llorente. Instead we phoned Guinness book of Records and asked "Whats the record for number of attacking midfielderd"?

We must have come up short as we added Bergwijn in January.

- Ndombele / GLC both played as #8s since arriving.
- Sessengon LB/LWB/LW
- Clarke > Loaned out for future.
- Gedson to cover Sissoko who was out til the end of the season.

So basically, your point hinges on Bergwijn; whom we didn't even sign last summer.

Aaaaaaanyway the point I responded to was:

"We seem to be the only club who struggle to bring in a quality option to play with/instead of Kane."

Never the less, thanks for ignoring me saying this:

None of this is to say there is no-one on this earth who ticks the boxes for us

Other than that; awesome retort fella.... Well worth your time. :roll:

- Ndombele / GLC both played as #8s since arriving.
- Sessengon LB/LWB/LW
- Clarke > Loaned out for future.
- Gedson to cover Sissoko who was out til the end of the season.

So basically, your point hinges on Bergwijn; whom we didn't even sign last summer.

Aaaaaaanyway the point I responded to was:

"We seem to be the only club who struggle to bring in a quality option to play with/instead of Kane."

Never the less, thanks for ignoring me saying this:

Other than that; awesome retort fella.... Well worth your time. :roll:
So you're answer to why we can't bring in someone to play with or instead of Kane was to look at all the other teams and not us?

To finish in such a condescending tone when you've not answered anything was just the jizz tasting icing on the cake.

In one of your pissy moods today?

So you're answer to why we can't bring in someone to play with or instead of Kane was to look at all the other teams and not us?

No. Read properly before replying... Please FFS!!!!

To finish in such a condescending tone when you've not answered anything was just the jizz tasting icing on the cake

What question? You didn't ask one! Unless you mean the flippant, rhetorical (and false) nonsense about the Guiness book of records?

In one of your pissy moods today?

Nope... Good mood actually. You're in a non-reading, falsifying, misrepresentation 'mood' though evidently.

No. Read properly before replying... Please FFS!!!!

What question? You didn't ask one! Unless you mean the flippant, rhetorical (and false) nonsense about the Guiness book of records?

Nope... Good mood actually. You're in a non-reading, falsifying, misrepresentation 'mood' though evidently.
Fuck me the irony.

So now you take everything literally??

Think it's maybe best to avoid you for a while, probably in HINDSIGHT thats what i should have done.

Reidy Reidy Airfixx Airfixx
giphy.gif

Fuck me the irony.

So now you take everything literally??

Think it's maybe best to avoid you for a while, probably in HINDSIGHT thats what i should have done.

Nah.... Perhaps just avoid strawman bullshit and we wouldn't even be 'talking' right now. :mourthumb:

Liverpool have Origi....

United have Martial who has the potential to be a world class 9 and they know it, plus Rashford and Igalho as options.

The Abraham comment is like saying if Kane hadn’t acclimatized to the Premier League Soldado would have been our main striker. He did acclimatize so it’s a pointless argument.

And Origi is far, far better than any back up option at striker we’ve ever managed to muster up.

Back
Top Bottom