Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I don't understand where people are coming from when saying 'Why haven't we got the money Chelsea have?'

We have just build a £b stadium, with a mountain of debt against it. Our stream of revenue from PL games, NFL games, concerts and other events has ended for the foreseeable future. We spent a fortune last summer, plus paying Poch still as well as Mourinho.

Chelsea sold their best player for £110m, had a transfer ban so didn't spend, aren't paying for a new stadium at the same time and have an owner a lot richer and concerned about winning trophies than ours is.

We have never been a club to spend £150m each transfer window, why would that suddenly change now? Our business model is to buy young, sell on at a profit, unless the player is Kane or Son for example. That isn't going to change until new owners come in.

I get the point that bringing in Mourinho, a manager known for wanting cash to spend to build a team to win silverware, but Levy would have made him well aware of the constraints against him in the market. I might be proven wrong, but there is no way we are being predicted to lose £200m in profit, take a £175m loan out and then go and spend £100m on transfers.

I don't understand where people are coming from when saying 'Why haven't we got the money Chelsea have?'

We have just build a £b stadium, with a mountain of debt against it. Our stream of revenue from PL games, NFL games, concerts and other events has ended for the foreseeable future. We spent a fortune last summer, plus paying Poch still as well as Mourinho.

Chelsea sold their best player for £110m, had a transfer ban so didn't spend, aren't paying for a new stadium at the same time and have an owner a lot richer and concerned about winning trophies than ours is.

We have never been a club to spend £150m each transfer window, why would that suddenly change now? Our business model is to buy young, sell on at a profit, unless the player is Kane or Son for example. That isn't going to change until new owners come in.

I get the point that bringing in Mourinho, a manager known for wanting cash to spend to build a team to win silverware, but Levy would have made him well aware of the constraints against him in the market. I might be proven wrong, but there is no way we are being predicted to lose £200m in profit, take a £175m loan out and then go and spend £100m on transfers.
Its just the ambition Chelsea show that annoys me compared to us.
Also the profit thing is kind of bs , how many games are we not playing at home ? 5 .. + A couple of events how does that add up to £200m. Also the stadium debt thing in Levy's own words wouldn't affect transfer business and the amount the club have to pay back for it is very small per year.

Also the profit thing is kind of bs , how many games are we not playing at home ? 5 .. + A couple of events how does that add up to £200m. Also the stadium debt thing in Levy's own words wouldn't affect transfer business and the amount the club have to pay back for it is very small per year.
You'll be surprised by how much match day revenue equates to. Plus refunded season ticket holders for games. NFL games bought in a fortune.

We're have outgoings daily, but not as much income.

You'll be surprised by how much match day revenue equates to. Plus refunded season ticket holders for games. NFL games bought in a fortune.

We're have outgoings daily, but not as much income.
How much does an NFL game bring in? Or projected to at least

How much does an NFL game bring in? Or projected to at least
Spurs set a new European record for the sales of beer at the first game between the Raiders and Bear with £1m alone taken in from those drink sales. The NFL pay a flat rental fee to use the stadium for each game, but all of the food and drink net income plus the merchandising profit goes to Spurs.

That's a lot of money to lose all of a sudden.

Spurs set a new European record for the sales of beer at the first game between the Raiders and Bear with £1m alone taken in from those drink sales. The NFL pay a flat rental fee to use the stadium for each game, but all of the food and drink net income plus the merchandising profit goes to Spurs.

That's a lot of money to lose all of a sudden.
I don't wanna lose it - simply wanted to know if you have a total figure per matchday out of interest

You won't; you'll just find the next thing to moan about.... And the next thing.

You moaned through the fun-times in recent years.... You'd be no different.

Last summer was the "same shit" was it?

You know what; whatever.... I dunno why you and the likes of John Thomas John Thomas bother.... You're interchangeable dullards.

What fun times ? Fun times for a Chelsea fan is Drogba scoring the winner in a CL final. Fun times for Mancity is Aguero scoring a last minute winner to win the title. Fun times for Leicester is that unreal title winning season. Fun times for Spurs? We get top 4 every year. Woooooooweeeeee, you are so easily pleased. And you call me a dullard ? Think you need to look in the mirror dude. I’m sick to death of Spurs as a club underachieving. You can look and dress it up how ever you like, but fact of the matter is our direct rivals win trophies and we don’t. Our direct rivals spend money on quality when needed, we don’t. Deal with it and stop moaning when people want to express their frustrations at the Spurs model.

What fun times ? Fun times for a Chelsea fan is Drogba scoring the winner in a CL final. Fun times for Mancity is Aguero scoring a last minute winner to win the title. Fun times for Leicester is that unreal title winning season. Fun times for Spurs? We get top 4 every year. Woooooooweeeeee, you are so easily pleased. And you call me a dullard ? Think you need to look in the mirror dude. I’m sick to death of Spurs as a club underachieving. You can look and dress it up how ever you like, but fact of the matter is our direct rivals win trophies and we don’t. Our direct rivals spend money on quality when needed, we don’t. Deal with it and stop moaning when people want to express their frustrations at the Spurs model.
I agree.

Our most successful period has been finishing 2nd, getting to a Champions League final and an FA Cup semi final twice.. What success is that? If we saw Woolwich celebrating that we'd laugh at them.

I love Poch as much as the next guy, but he has a block when it comes to silverware. He hasn't won any so he doesn't understand the feeling.

If Mourinho was in charge during that spell, we would have won either the league or at least a cup. I'm not saying Mourinho is going to be an instant success, but if the players listen to him, he'll win us something.

United finished 5th, won the league cup and Europa league under Mourinho in 1 season, whilst we were celebrating finishing 2nd with no silverware. Something needs to change.

Do you think Liverpool show ambition?

If so, then why didn’t they buy Werner?

Because of the impact of the virus and their huge wage bill.

The inside story of how Chelsea landed Werner

“FSG do not take money out of Liverpool, but they do expect the club to live within its means. During the COVID-19 shutdown, the message coming from the highest levels at Anfield has been that there will be no major signings in the coming transfer window. The wage bill stands at £310 million and when the club reversed its decision to furlough staff in April, chief executive Peter Moore warned of “unprecedented operating losses” as a result of the pandemic.”

“FSG do not take money out of Liverpool, but they do expect the club to live within its means. During the COVID-19 shutdown, the message coming from the highest levels at Anfield has been that there will be no major signings in the coming transfer window. The wage bill stands at £310 million and when the club reversed its decision to furlough staff in April, chief executive Peter Moore warned of “unprecedented operating losses” as a result of the pandemic.”
Their squad is quality though - do they really need Werner?

I agree.

Our most successful period has been finishing 2nd, getting to a Champions League final and an FA Cup semi final twice.. What success is that? If we saw Woolwich celebrating that we'd laugh at them.

I love Poch as much as the next guy, but he has a block when it comes to silverware. He hasn't won any so he doesn't understand the feeling.

If Mourinho was in charge during that spell, we would have won either the league or at least a cup. I'm not saying Mourinho is going to be an instant success, but if the players listen to him, he'll win us something.

United finished 5th, won the league cup and Europa league under Mourinho in 1 season, whilst we were celebrating finishing 2nd with no silverware. Something needs to change.

Exactly mate and problem is you have Spurs fans that buy into this and don’t change. They feel getting to a CL final and losing it is successful. No wonder why so many rivals take the piss out of Spurs. Until Spurs start winning silver wear, unfortunately we will never be taken seriously. Chelsea, city, Liverpool, united win titles and champions leagues etc. Woolwich even bloody win Fa cups every now and then. Spurs win nothing and it’s got to change.

Really ? Liverpool are incoming title Winners , CL winners and probably the best club side in the world. If ever there was a team that don’t particularly need to spend its them. But they will spend because Liverpool are ambitious unlike Spurs. You need to look 2 years ago when Spurs and Liverpool were neck and neck. Liverpool went out and spent massive on players like VDV, Allison etc. Spurs bought nobody. We have now gone backwards as a club and Liverpool have won the CL and upcoming Title. You wonder why us Spurs fans get frustrated ?

Hahahhahahahahahahahhhahaha

Bill Madrid Bill Madrid - it's happening, mate
Hahaha, I've said it before, I'll say it again. I'm bang up for doing a Leeds. Five years of European domination, silverware coming out of our yin-yang then a glorious implosion and visits to exotic places like Walsall and Rotherham. No plastics, no Jim White spaffing in his Y-fronts over the latest Carlos Kickaball, no exciting synergies.

Bring it on I say

Really ? Liverpool are incoming title Winners , CL winners and probably the best club side in the world. If ever there was a team that don’t particularly need to spend its them. But they will spend because Liverpool are ambitious unlike Spurs. You need to look 2 years ago when Spurs and Liverpool were neck and neck. Liverpool went out and spent massive on players like VDV, Allison etc. Spurs bought nobody. We have now gone backwards as a club and Liverpool have won the CL and upcoming Title. You wonder why us Spurs fans get frustrated ?

But they didn't last summer because they are obviously strong. But it sounds like they aren't this summer either. The article I posted says the deal to them was virtually done before the virus, but that changed the landscape and there will be no major incomings the next window.

Of course it is frustrating. I am just pointing out that just because we aren't going to spank £50 million on Werner and Chelsea are, it's got nothing to do with ambition, just finance.

Back
Top Bottom