Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

EZ1y1r8WAAE_OI4

In terms of Eze , I know he's not a nesseccity
but he's HG/young , we need another CAM
AND we cannot pass up on another championship startlet look what missing out on Grealish and Maddison did -> Backfired.
He's a signing that geniunely excites me not 31yr old washed up Willian.
Also Championship clubs are gonna be hit hard by the coronavirus financially so now is a good time to poach him.

I totally understand your argument BC, but the issue is it’s based off your frankly outrageously overrated ideas of how good some of our youth players could/would have been.

This is what I mean by my views get misrepresented. I don't outrageously overrate any of those players. I repeatedly acknowledge there is a very good chance that none of them will ultimately be good enough for us.

For the umpteenth time, that is not the point. They don't have to be CL quality, or even top half PL quality to be a viable alternative for a squad/rotating remit than the utter garbage we have paid about 150m for in fee and wages.

It’s not me outrageously overrating academy players, is others outrageously overrating the ability and contribution of purchased players.

KWP was training with our first team since roughly the end of 15/16. Do you really think that if Poch had seen real ability in him he wouldn’t have broken through in the following seasons? I’m not Mourinhos biggest fan by any means, but the fact he was more than happy to show KWP the door having immediately, despite him being our only other right back bar Aurier, tells you all you need to know about his ability surely.

Frankly no, I do not trust Pochettino's judgement on footballers. Period. I think his time with us proved that. And Mourinho is hardly renowned for his patience developing young players either.

But I maintain, the overall impact on us as a team if we'd not signed Aurier and given KWP the minutes/games Aurier had the in those next two years would have been negligible.

looked out of his depth, loose on the ball, slow, poor technically and just overall not very good. To use your favorite phrase he simply “bumbled” around the place doing nothing.

This is my point again. The above sentences could perfectly describe the last three years of Sissoko's performances.

And as I also pointed out, those performances by Sissoko also benefitted from being played in the first team with our best payers all around him. Onomah got a handful of games, spread out over three years in cup games, never in CM, never in the first team. Even then there were some OK performances - like away at Dortmund in the Europa.

But the point remains, Onomah bumbling about (but hopefully improving because he had scope to improve) for a couple of years for fuck all fee and about 15k a week, verses Sissoko bumbling about for 30m fee and 90k a week.

This is what I mean by my views get misrepresented. I don't outrageously overrate any of those players. I repeatedly acknowledge there is a very good chance that none of them will ultimately be good enough for us.

For the umpteenth time, that is not the point. They don't have to be CL quality, or even top half PL quality to be a viable alternative for a squad/rotating remit than the utter garbage we have paid about 150m for in fee and wages.

It’s not me outrageously overrating academy players, is others outrageously overrating the ability and contribution of purchased players.

Frankly no, I do not trust Pochettino's judgement on footballers. Period. I think his time with us proved that. And Mourinho is hardly renowned for his patience developing young players either.

But I maintain, the overall impact on us as a team if we'd not signed Aurier and given KWP the minutes/games Aurier had the in those next two years would have been negligible.

This is my point again. The above sentences could perfectly describe the last three years of Sissoko's performances.

And as I also pointed out, those performances by Sissoko also benefitted from being played in the first team with our best payers all around him. Onomah got a handful of games, spread out over three years in cup games, never in CM, never in the first team. Even then there were some OK performances - like away at Dortmund in the Europa.

But the point remains, Onomah bumbling about (but hopefully improving because he had scope to improve) for a couple of years for fuck all fee and about 15k a week, verses Sissoko bumbling about for 30m fee and 90k a week.
I’m sorry BC, say what you want about Pochs eye for a player, but I would trust his judgement of our young players whom he say day in day out far more than yours, or any fan for that matter.

Aurier is nothing special, but he is better than KWP. Period. Particularly defensively he’s far far better one on one and in the air.
And Sissoko, despite his absolutely glaring flaws, is much, much better than Josh Onomah and to basically be suggesting we would have gotten to the champions league final last season with Onomah starting mid field is frankly hilarious.

and to basically be suggesting we would have gotten to the champions league final last season with Onomah starting mid field is frankly hilarious.

Please find where I suggested that and post it.

Again, this is how the bullshit starts. I have clearly stated we should have been using Onomah and KWP three years ago for the next 12-18 months - when their development was still linear - when their confidence was high from winning U19 WC's etc, rather than wasting money on busted, well exposed as sub standard footballers we wasted money on.

And we certainly, didn't get the the CL final because of the quality of Sissoko or Aurier, we got their in spite of them. And we got there largely due to football luck, not great football performances individual or collective, so lets stop holding that up as some kind of great footballing achievement - it was a great footballing moment to get there, that's something different, then a another shit show when we were there.

Please find where I suggested that and post it.

Again, this is how the bullshit starts. I have clearly stated we should have been using Onomah and KWP three years ago for the next 12-18 months - when their development was still linear - when their confidence was high from winning U19 WC's etc, rather than wasting money on busted, well exposed as sub standard footballers we wasted money on.

And we certainly, didn't get the the CL final because of the quality of Sissoko or Aurier, we got their in spite of them. And we got there largely due to football luck, not great football performances individual or collective, so lets stop holding that up as some kind of great footballing achievement - it was a great footballing moment to get there, that's something different, then a another shit show when we were there.
You stated that we would have been no better nor worse over the last few seasons had we used KWP over Aurier and Onomah over Sissoko. Last season was the only season that Sissoko was deployed as our main central midfielder for the majority of the campaign, so I only assumed that was when you were referring to, as central midfield is where you and many others claim is Onomahs best position.

Also I would have to strongly disagree with your point that we wouldn’t have made the CL final without MS. He may not be up to much, but he was our only viable CM option for most of last season after inexplicably selling Dembele, and put in a number of heroic performances en route to final.

So who would you have managing us, bus-conductor bus-conductor ?
I'm genuinely interested.

I assume you see us as a big club.
A club that should be at least challenging for major titles and not some glorified southampton-esque development academy that people like Totti Totti see us.

So if neither Poch or Jose is the man. Who should Levy be appointing?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom