Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Austin is out on loan, all Vorm has done is extend the deal he agreed initially to be with us until the end of the season, why the vote of confidence line? Think you look too deep into it pal

These extentions literally amount to an extra few weeks.... Anyone complaining is making a fuss about nothing.

Worth considering when the TW will open …..and close.

TW will only open (ie for new registrations, contract terms can be agreed before) when the PL comes to an end, currently (but no firm date I think) expected to be around 23 July.

UEFA are expected to require TW's to come to end as late as mid October, a day or two before next season's CL and EL group stages are expected to start.

Each league can set their own timescales provided its the same or before UEFA's finish.

With the PL finishing 23 July (say) and adding in a minimum of players 3 week holiday and 6 weeks preseason, that might suggest PL restarting on towards end September, say 1 October - but pressure to give players a longer break which would mean Pl starting later.

So its quite possible the TW will be open until mid October, and by then the post covid world will be a lot clearer...….frustratingly for fans that suggests that whilst there might be some business done once PL comes to an end, it makes sense for clubs to wait a little to be able to more accurately assess when spectators may return to stadiums with their match day revenues of ticket money, food and drink, programme and attendant merchandise sales etc.

Could be a long old summer...but the later tw closes more likely it is that clubs will see better matchday revenues and more incentive to spend (provided no 2nd spike...)

I'd love to get Gabriel in along with Höjbjerg... but extremely doubtful that we'd be able to secure a left/right back, a goalkeeper or a forward as well... This pandemic came at the worst possible time.

Our problem is what we will or can sell. Does not appear to be many options as regards making some money. Rose, CCV, Amos, KWP and maybe Foyth are the obvious ones; but that wont raise much. The others possibles would appear to be Aurier, Sissoko or Lamela. I think Jose likes Sissoko and Lamela so not sure of he will sell them. In any case the market for them would be limited - Lamela injury record, Sissoko age. If we got 15m for Aurier we should let him off. Only other option may be Tanguy. My guess is that Jose would sell him and re-invest it, problem is that we may not get any where near what we paid. And if we did, Jose would probably spend it on two or three work horses like Sissoko

This tells me that levy won’t allow our squad to be filled with ageing players that Jose may ask for. Maybe that’s bad in the short term because Jose should get what he asks for to give him a chance at doing something but long term it might be a win?

I don’t know I’m conflicted.

This tells me that levy won’t allow our squad to be filled with ageing players that Jose may ask for. Maybe that’s bad in the short term because Jose should get what he asks for to give him a chance at doing something but long term it might be a win?

Jose won't be here for too long and I don't want to be stuck with a bunch of 30 year olds once he leaves.
Also sad though that Daniel Levy is meddling with transfers yet again , we need football people in charge of transfers not Levy.

I wonder who the first choice target was?

I assume Willian Jose?

I'd love to get Gabriel in along with Höjbjerg... but extremely doubtful that we'd be able to secure a left/right back, a goalkeeper or a forward as well... This pandemic came at the worst possible time.

Getting both Gabriel (or any left footed CB) and Hojberg would be a step in the right direction. To me, the next position that needs upgrading before next season is RB. I think we can live with having Davies and NO replacement striker for next season. Were going to have to gamble that both Son and Kane don't get injured at the same time again.

Making a top 4 finish next season is absolutely vital to having a chance at keeping our star players.

Getting both Gabriel (or any left footed CB) and Hojberg would be a step in the right direction. To me, the next position that needs upgrading before next season is RB. I think we can live with having Davies and NO replacement striker for next season. Were going to have to gamble that both Son and Kane don't get injured at the same time again.

Making a top 4 finish next season is absolutely vital to having a chance at keeping our star players.

That will be a disaster waiting to happen. Haven't we learned anything over the last few years. We need a striker

Jose won't be here for too long and I don't want to be stuck with a bunch of 30 year olds once he leaves.
Also sad though that Daniel Levy is meddling with transfers yet again , we need football people in charge of transfers not Levy.

Again Bergwijn is another example of a player the club has been watching for a number of years and we have been strongly linked with. It doesn't matter who the manager is or what he wants, he will be given the players the club think is most suitable.

Back
Top Bottom