Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Milik - one year left on deal
Hojbjerg - one year left on deal
Castagne - one year left on deal
Willian - free

Let’s be honest, during a pandemic and with football bleeding money because of it all four would be very smart business to get the ball rolling with things. I wonder what the total outlay in fees would be if we could make it all happen.... £50m-£60m or so?

Weston McKennie has a lot of energy, but I echo the thoughts that he's really not ready for a club like ours yet. Not a bad player to take a punt on if the squad was more settled, especially since Schalke's collapsing at the moment. But we just have to fix too many other things before we can take a player like Weston imo.

Fuck him, get Ollie Watkins instead. 18 mill release clause
If we are shopping at Brentford we should also be looking at Pontus Jansson in their backline to replace Jan.

Team captain, that type of warrior mentality that Jose loves. Tall, good with his head. Full Sweden international and has also captained Sweden when Granqvist has been hurt.

Milik - one year left on deal
Hojbjerg - one year left on deal
Castagne - one year left on deal
Willian - free

Let’s be honest, during a pandemic and with football bleeding money because of it all four would be very smart business to get the ball rolling with things. I wonder what the total outlay in fees would be if we could make it all happen.... £50m-£60m or so?

Milik 18 mill
Hojbjerg 15 mill
Castagne 14 mill
Willian free

That's 47 mill in transfer fees. We still need a couple of centre backs. Kim Min Jae 90% done deal, probably 13 mill

Just a few examples of very good scouting in recent years:

1) Davies
2) Gnabry
3) Kimmich
Everyone know this and very little here is 'very good scouting'. Gnabry played at Woolwich FFS. Then played at Bremen and was loaned to WBA for a year. Very little scouting.

I don't know the nature of the Davies (now playing LB after being 'scouted' for the wing) xfer but he wasn't an unknown quantity. And Kimmich was a Pep move ie no long there in the Bayern setup. They recruit by picking off other teams and reasonable buys from abroad. That said the Hernandez deal was bonkers.

I agree that they recruit in Germany, but they absolutely do a great job of finding top young talent that is not overvalued.
You give them too much credit. They are sitting at the top table. The players they reruit need very little development ie finished products or immediate first teamers.

Thiago is not old (only 29), but he is injury prone. When he is healthy he is much better than any double pivot MF we have. He is not one for the future. He is one for winning titles now.
Twenty-nine is old for a newly recruited MF coming to the prem. Feel free to provide your list of high profile xfers that dispel this. And the last part means nothing to my argument as I was not questioning his ability. And we are not winning titles NOW nor in the next few years.

If we are shopping at Brentford we should also be looking at Pontus Jansson in their backline to replace Jan.

Team captain, that type of warrior mentality that Jose loves. Tall, good with his head. Full Sweden international and has also captained Sweden when Granqvist has been hurt.

Brentford are likely to win the playoffs and come to the prem IMO so highly doubt they will be selling anyone

Barcelona seem to be all about the swaps nowadays.

Arthur and Pjanic.

They're looking to swap a load of their players to get in Martinez for Inter Milan.

Give us Firpo for Sessegnon and we have a deal.

Everyone know this and very little here is 'very good scouting'. Gnabry played at Woolwich FFS. Then played at Bremen and was loaned to WBA for a year. Very little scouting.

I don't know the nature of the Davies (now playing LB after being 'scouted' for the wing) xfer but he wasn't an unknown quantity. And Kimmich was a Pep move ie no long there in the Bayern setup. They recruit by picking off other teams and reasonable buys from abroad. That said the Hernandez deal was bonkers.

You give them too much credit. They are sitting at the top table. The players they reruit need very little development ie finished products or immediate first teamers.

Twenty-nine is old for a newly recruited MF coming to the prem. Feel free to provide your list of high profile xfers that dispel this. And the last part means nothing to my argument as I was not questioning his ability. And we are not winning titles NOW nor in the next few years.

Agree to disagree. Serge was thought to be “shit” when he played in England. Davies didn’t even get an offer from other top clubs.

In any case, you can’t tell me you thought Davies would be this good this quickly at only 19 years old. If you say you knew it all along, perhaps you should consider a career in football scouting.

If you look at their track record since 2013 or so, you will find that their percentage of good signings is substantially better than most of the other big clubs in Europe while on average paying less for the transfers.

Hernandez is not a big miss. Top player that has battled injury issues this season. Also he was not helped that Alaba turned out to be a great CB and Davies looks like a (near) future #1 LB in the world.

I follow Bayern closely. Hansi Flick is a genius manager. They’re my pick to win the CL this season if they figure out how to manage the long lay off.

Back
Top Bottom