Summer 2021 - Transfer Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Between them only 1 error leading to a goal over the last 3 seasons (Sanchez).
Where on earth is that from? I can't name individual games right now, but I'm sure I've seen many clown-like errors from Sanchez missing headers or tripping over the ball etc resulting in goals, and same for Dier but in terms of being in the wrong position, failing to read the play or not even making any attempt to win a deadly ball coming into the box. :/

Are you sure you don't mean an average of one per match played together?

EDIT: Does depend where you get your stats of course. I Googled 'Dier errors leading to goals' and the first link suggests Dier made 6 last season (!) Actually no it doesn't, it suggests 6 EVER! Seriously? :/

Last edited:
Where on earth is that from? I can't name individual games right now, but I'm sure I've seen many clown-like errors from Sanchez missing headers or tripping over the ball etc resulting in goals, and same for Dier but in terms of being in the wrong position, failing to read the play or not even making any attempt to win a deadly ball coming into the box. :/

Similar was said about Trippier in his last season yet even he admitted he was really bad.

Last edited:

It's the official premier league stats.

Of course, you need to distinguish between making an error; and not being very good at defending.

Passing the ball to a striker - Error
Allowing the striker to dribble round you - Bad defending
Poor headed clearance - Bad defending
Heading the ball into your own net - Error

Sanchez's biggest issue is that he is easily drawn out of position; especially when Aurier is playing as Sanchez seems to always drift out wide. This often leaves the remaining centerback isolated and in a '2 on 1' situation. You will often see Dier screaming at his team mates as he is forced to cover 2 attacking runs.

Whiteman is apparently heading north. Swedish top flight club Degerfors are selling their goalkeeper to Malmö and are looking to bring in Alfie as Diawara's replacement.

Unclear on if it is a permanent move or a loan.
Surely it would be a loan? Isn’t he supposed to be the young GK prospect?

Surely it would be a loan? Isn’t he supposed to be the young GK prospect?
A loan sounds logical but Alfie only has a year on his contract so who knows. We also have Austin as a GK prospect who has been on loan since last January.

Degerfors are currently 12th (out of 16) in the Swedish league and look at the least safe from automatic relegation. If he gets a loan there for the rest of the Swedish season then that's a good deal for him.

It's the official premier league stats.
Erm I posted a link above to the official premier league stats, for Dier it clearly says 'errors leading to a goal: 6'. What am I missing here? :/

EDIT: Aha, I'm looking at all seasons, sorry. Oh well, stats schmats, Dier cost us a lot of goals last season, I saw that from watching games with my eyes, irrespective of what (obviously subjective) 'stats' say. As I said earlier, I'm certain that last season I saw many clown-like errors from Sanchez missing headers or tripping over the ball etc ultimately resulting in good chances for the opposition, and same for Dier but in terms of being in the wrong position, failing to read the play or not even making any attempt to win a deadly ball coming into the box. Whether or not they actually resulted in goals is down to many other factors, but those two made us concede many good chances, and were largely to blame for many goals.

Last edited:
I'd eye both of them as being valued somewhere between £40m and £50m each. Silva probably would be worth a little more if we were having this conversation a year ago.

Indeed; which is why the pair + 100m is a reasonable request.

Helps City out too (for those with such concerns).

Last edited:
A loan sounds logical but Alfie only has a year on his contract so who knows. We also have Austin as a GK prospect who has been on loan since last January.

Degerfors are currently 12th (out of 16) in the Swedish league and look at the least safe from automatic relegation. If he gets a loan there for the rest of the Swedish season then that's a good deal for him.
Had no clue that he had one year left. I just assumed that because he’s been featured on some of the social media stuff that he’d be sticking around and was thought of highly by the club.

Just think, in the last few days, it might have been the case that Lionel Messi was imagining a move to Spurs. You know, he might have been thinking about. Weighing it up. We'll likely never know, but we might have been a baw hair away fae signing Messi. There's something nice about that. There is. If you look at it the right way.
I wonder if he wrote us a nice letter?

By the way, if anyone ever wants proof that stats alone don't give a fair reflection of reality, do you know how many 'errors leading to goals' Sanchez has made in his entire Spurs career, according to PremierLeague.com? Just TWO!

All these years I've thought he was terrible, out of position, kept missing headers and tripping over the ball, but in fact it seems I was wrong, he's actually one of the best defenders in the history of the premier league! Now, how can we bring that stat / webpage to the attention of Seville...

:sonpoint:

By the way, if anyone ever wants proof that stats alone don't give a fair reflection of reality, do you know how many 'errors leading to goals' Sanchez has made in his entire Spurs career, according to PremierLeague.com? Just TWO!

All these years I've thought he was terrible, out of position, kept missing headers and tripping over the ball, but in fact it seems I was wrong, he's actually one of the best defenders in the history of the premier league! Now, how can we bring that stat / webpage to the attention of Seville...

:sonpoint:

It's part of the problem with modern football. A lot of fans, and I suspect media, don't watch entire football matches anymore. They watch highlights and lean on stats to build a picture.
So many are so flawed when you see the whole game.
Eriksen's running stats drove me bananas. He ran 10k a match because he jogged around non stop. That's not hard to do and in the end, wasn't doing anything for for team.
Shots on target being low can look damning but woodwork is classed as off target. Having a wonderful shot outside the post is somehow less of a chance than a lame pass straight at a keeper.
It's crazy how we've let stats dominate opinions.

I hate digging out Spurs players but every time I see Sanchez on the team sheet I grimace.

When we signed him I thought we were getting a raw defender with elite athleticism. Well he turned out to be raw, but his athleticism is completely overhyped.

He isn’t anywhere near as fast as he thinks he is, can be bullied and is pretty poor in the air. He has zero natural defensive instincts, and at any time in any game can make the sort of inexplicable error that can cost us points.

If he were a youth team product, we’d be sending him on loan to the Championship.

A real mistake by our scouting department signing him. If memory serves Leicester picked up Evans the same summer for like 6m and he’s been a rock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom