Summer 2021 - Transfer Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Saúl loan is an odd one...

I really liked him at Atleti, but he seemed to be one of those players who fits perfectly into one team but could easily not in another.

Hard to see why the <removed>s need him too.

If we'd have got him I can easily imagine the "But what exactly does he do?" posts after the first half-dozen games, quickly morphing into the usual suspects writing him off as Winks 2.0

The Saúl loan is an odd one...

I really liked him at Atleti, but he seemed to be one of those players who fits perfectly into one team but could easily not in another.

Hard to see why the <removed>s need him too.

If we'd have got him I can easily imagine the "But what exactly does he do?" posts after the first half-dozen games, quickly morphing into the usual suspects writing him off as Winks 2.0
Wouldn't have mattered, even if he turned out to be the second coming, there'd still be a nutter clogging up his thread with posts about how he's a fraud...

OK, this shit is over, one less thing for cunts to moan about....except they will anyway...
Half Baked Boo GIF

It’s questionable that we’ve strengthened our starting 11 & we seem to have bought some fringe players & we’re an injury away from us struggling to fill gaps up top.
Of course time will tell but it’s a bit of a meh window in my opinion which isn’t a surprise.
If we can , which is a huge if , get N’Dom playing to any level of his potential then it would be good but a player that only has 2 mins of highlights in 7 years of professional football makes me doubt it.

Now we bought Gil, Emerson, Romano, Gollini and Sarr. They all are young. Not one is a Leader. They could be in a few seasons but right now they need leadership.
No team is packed with leaders tho.

To varying degrees we have Hugo, Harry, Dier, PEH, maybe even the reborn Dele... On the fringe Davies perhaps, even Winks at a pinch...

Plus you don't just go out and buy leaders and plug them in, they grow into the role

It’s questionable that we’ve strengthened our starting 11 & we seem to have bought some fringe players & we’re an injury away from us struggling to fill gaps up top.
The potential of our starting XI in a couple of seasons has gone through the roof you could argue… compared to one that wasn’t going to improve at all.

Kid needs to get his first goal sooner rather than later so that it doesn't become a burden on him, so whilst I agree that he needs to be playing in those games, he also needs to be supported by a competent and coherent unit behind him.

Slogging through a bunch of 90 minutes like the Pacos away leg will do him no good whatsoever.
Maybe we'll see Ndombele, GLC and Winks in the next ECL match. Maybe play 2 strikers Scarlett & Moura.

So a 5 3 2 formation with Doherty and Sess as WBs.

Gil on the bench as another option.

No team is packed with leaders tho.

To varying degrees we have Hugo, Harry, Dier, PEH, maybe even the reborn Dele... On the fringe Davies perhaps, even Winks at a pinch...

Plus you don't just go out and buy leaders and plug them in, they grow into the role

Dier and Winks leaders?
That's a real life "blind leading the blind" example there.

An average window to my mind, but also hugely disappointing.

I posted earlier in the window that now was the time for us to take a gamble, as the opportunity was there for us to steal a march on many of our competitors and get in talents that we had far less competition on.
If any time was right for us to spend upwards of £100M, it was now, as next Summer I feel we will be shopping in a market that has quite a few more competitors for signatures. So, whilst I am happy with the acquisitions we have made, I really don't feel we have taken a golden opportunity to do far more.

Like the vast majority on here, my biggest gripe is that, once again, we don't have that additional striker. Reliance on Scarlett is, to me, a bigger gamble than splashing £15-20M on someone like Édouard. At 17, Scarlett has at least another 3 years before he'd be looking to make an impact. He may be good, but he's not really that "generational" type talent that you can see stepping into the EPL without an issue.

Having said the above, I don't know what our current finances are like, so I don't know where that gamble would put us if it didn't work out.

On the whole though, it feels as though the business done has been "just enough" to keep the fans from outright rioting. Not great, not terrible, just average.

On the whole though, disappointing.

The potential of our starting XI in a couple of seasons has gone through the roof you could argue… compared to one that wasn’t going to improve at all.

Science geek mode.

Sat here looking at a spring on my desk. It has immense potential energy. It just needs to be compressed in order to become stored energy and released in order to utilise the energy.

In short, many things have potential but it takes more to realise it.

A couple of seasons ago we finished 4th & was in the champions league final.
Oh right I get you . Potential is another word for if . I think Toby has been replaced & the other transfers are relying a lot on hope rather than strengthening the XI . They may well become incredible players but they also may well not.

I think the lesson learned from last season was “ room for improvement “ , have we ? Personally, I’ve no idea , it’s just , as you say , potential.

I must repeat my earlier question (guess I'm on too many ignore lists) . Isn't it still possible to make transfers from the Championship? Didn't we get Rodon after the window closed last year? Couldn't we get Pukki (for example) this year?

I must repeat my earlier question (guess I'm on too many ignore lists) . Isn't it still possible to make transfers from the Championship? Didn't we get Rodon after the window closed last year? Couldn't we get Pukki (for example) this year?
Pukki is in the Prem with Norwich, so no.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom