Summer 2021 - Transfer Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we were paying him his full wage for the remainder of his contract, we wouldn't have released him. There is no point to us doing that.
I know. I think he would have been paid off & he gets to sign for a new club for more money too. So I think he won that battle as levy would have preferred to sell him. Unless we are now saying levy would have preferred to pay him off then sell him

No team is packed with leaders tho.

To varying degrees we have Hugo, Harry, Dier, PEH, maybe even the reborn Dele... On the fringe Davies perhaps, even Winks at a pinch...

Plus you don't just go out and buy leaders and plug them in, they grow into the role
You telling Me buying someone like Rodin would have the same impact as getting someone like Boateng?

Sorry it doesn't work like that. Levy only invests in young players bases on their potential. He knows it will take a season or two to reach their peak and then they most likely would leave for greener pastures with the club netting a decent profit. Only thing is that it only works maybe 3 out of ten times. Look at selling Bale, buying 7 players with his bounty, non of them making an impact. Then he sells Dombelle, Alderweireld, Vantoggen and a few other players over the years. And I cannot recall a purchase of a player over 30. He is only about upping investment value. Screw winning. Look at teams like Italy, experience blended with youth. I've always know Spurs to be one of the sides with the youngest average team.

Time to change that.

I am actually pretty happy with the window. The big disappointment, as others have mentioned, was not bringing in a backup striker. Rondon went to Everton on a free and surely could have done a job for us.

Thanks.
Is there a site with up to date players wages?
Not reliable up to date wages because I don't think the club release them

^ Gives a rough ballpark figure but I'm pretty sure some players havn't been updated for a while for example Son's new contract put him up to 200k from 140k

You telling Me buying someone like Rodin would have the same impact as getting someone like Boateng?

Sorry it doesn't work like that. Levy only invests in young players bases on their potential. He knows it will take a season or two to reach their peak and then they most likely would leave for greener pastures with the club netting a decent profit. Only thing is that it only works maybe 3 out of ten times. Look at selling Bale, buying 7 players with his bounty, non of them making an impact. Then he sells Dombelle, Alderweireld, Vantoggen and a few other players over the years. And I cannot recall a purchase of a player over 30. He is only about upping investment value. Screw winning. Look at teams like Italy, experience blended with youth. I've always know Spurs to be one of the sides with the youngest average team.

Time to change that.
A recent fair criticism is not selling players to achieve full value. He signs potential and ties them up on long term relatively cheap wages and then tries to extend as he knows we can't pay top wage for comparable players.

If he was doing what you say, dele, Rose, Eriksen Son, Kane etc. Would all have been sold for tons.

Time to change that.
Plenty of teams focus on bringing highly rated, but relatively unknown youth, that's how Leicester became a top six team. We're not in a position to attract elite players like Varane currently, so we should do our best with Paratici at the helm to find them before they explode.

I'm having flashbacks to ten years ago when 100k per week was an impossible sum of money that marked a dividing line between the elite clubs and everyone else.

I am actually pretty happy with the window. The big disappointment, as others have mentioned, was not bringing in a backup striker. Rondon went to Everton on a free and surely could have done a job for us.
He isn't so good that he could jump in in the event of a Kane injury. His record is poor. Why stunt Scarlett's progress by having Rondon lumbering around up front?

If either Kane or Son get injured we're basically fucked.
Same applies to Chelsea if Lukaku and Havertz are injured, also with Liverpool if Salah and Mane are out.

Utd are the only ones who have four or five goalscoring attackers, City play a brand of football that can share the goals burden

How was it not a good window? Reguilon, Hojbjerg are two starters we bought for €47m, Rodon for €12m was good value for a British prospect, only Doherty and Hart were horrible, and Doherty was €17m, and Hart was on a free (and already gone).
We finished 7th mate. Needed a lot more. As we did this window. 2 out of 4 which was ok last summer. We probably needed 5 more last summer.

Lamela was on 100k for scoring a Rabona per five years, what the hell.
Big mistake extending his contract & giving him 100k per week. You just know he would be injured a lot. Should have cut our losses many years ago with him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom