Summer 2021 - Transfer Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the club defaults on repaying the loans for the stadium and wider NDP then the loan underwriters will take posession of those assets and sell to the highest bidder to re-coup their losses. It's actually a pretty low risk loan to the lender. Obviously they wouldn't want that to happen because it would be a massive ball ache.

Now consider the same situation with money loaned to buy players.

Club borrows £1bn to buy and pay salaries of the players that can win them the IMU (Interplanetary Mega Ultimaship)(I might copywrite that). However half the team catch covid-22 and die and the other half sustain career ending injuries. How does anyone get their money back? In order to "borrow" money for players you pretty much have to have a benefactor willing to risk burning huge piles of cash. There aren't many of those about. In fact I'd say there are 3 left in the world. If that's what you want unfortunately I think you're going to have to go and support one of them.

The stadium and NDP are one prong of the plan to get us towards competing at the level of the organic mega clubs. (e.g. Utd, Liverpool, Bayern, Juve etc). Unless we are (un)lucky enough for a despot to buy us out in the hope of using us to come across as a good guy then that's as much as we can realistically hope for. We will never have Neymar, MBappe and Messi until that happens.

Agree with everything you say. I'm not implying that we borrow a billion to buy players. My original post was perhaps poorly worded.

I am insinuating that we do need that next step to a wealthy benefactor now. Or at least a generous one (unlike current owner who is wealthy but not piling money in to achieve success on pitch).

Without the benefactor we have hit the ceiling and ENIC have taken us as far as they can under the constraints of their own priorities (maximise profit).

Its only a matter of time before a club like Newcastle is bought by such a benefactor. If I'm a high profile player, I can't imagine wanting to join spurs. I see a clear ceiling in on the pitch potential, a tough chairman to negotiate with, a wage limit that at times is not reflective of success on the pitch or revenue, and a high chance of there being a new manager every few years due to chronic under investment in the squad to maintain the position that high achieving managers like Poch and a redknapp carve out quite skillfully.

On flip side, if I wanted an easy ride with almost guaranteed premiership status, moderate wages, low expectations of silverware, an impressive stadium and an incomplete squad that would allow me to shine as a star player, perhaps I would join Spurs. I suspect many players that join us fall into this category.

Even Toby is quoted as saying he left because he wants more time with his family rather than playing 3 times a week. That's completely fine and understandable, but it's hardly the mentality of a Sergio Ramos who lives and breathes winning titles.

You may not realise it but the "dicsussions" have been had over and over and over (you're not somehow profoundly 'awoken' here!)... Time and time again, the arguments such as your comments about the stadium are proven to be full of gaping holes and often ridden with barefaced lies about how the owners are stealing money.

I don't believe I said that I was awoken or profound? The importance is to make sure that such limitations of the ownership are clear to those who perhaps haven't even considered it.

I've been in both camps of the supporter divide and I have learnt from others.

So as emotions die down a bit, my thoughts...

Our biggest need was a CB, we've apparently landed one of the best available. Typical Spurs that Sanchez & Dier start the season off looking great. Hopefully this benefits Romero not being throw straight in.

Thought RB was also a huge need. Excited about Emerson. Tanganga has been vocal about his best position being CB. He did a fantastic job against City, maybe it was the knock he picked up, but I didn't like him as much vs Wolves & Watford.

Not surprised we didn't add a #10 when we couldn't move Ndombele. If Nuno sticks with the 4-3-3, we've invested in players who should be contributing playing in the #8 role (Ndombele, Lo Celso, even Dele) but haven't performed. I think we're going to see Gil used more of an CAM than a winger.

Disappointing we didn't pick up another attacking player. I wanted Traore, but 50 mill for player with a horrible scoring record would've been terrible business. The club invested a lot of money in Gil, Stevie B, Sess (who I think we will see used at a winger sometimes). The latter two need to step up and show their worth or start looking for new clubs next year.

I'm ok with no 2nd recognized striker. I don't want to buy some below average bum just to say we have another recognized striker. I don't buy the "what if Kane or Son go down" argument. Outside of Chelsea & United, I think you can say that about every club.

Let's hope the club can keep the good vibes going. Starting the season 3-0 with 3 clean sheets with an absolute shit show of an offseason shows great character by the players and coaching staff.

COYS

I hated the football under Mourinho, but this guy makes a good point. Our squad has had big problems in it for years. I'm glad we're finally addressing them

That's a little favorable to Jose...

I agree with the general sentiment that the squad needed some major upgrades and there was only so much anyone could do with that set of players.

As for the names on that list:

Sure, Sissoko was terrible. Rose was relegated to the sidelines and wasn't even a factor in out team, and he had a newly acquired Reguilon and a serviceable backup in Davies. Hart and Gazzaniga had almost no impact on our season as backups to Hugo. Toby wanted to leave and his going to Qatar is more about his age than quality.

For the most part, the lineups we have used for the majority of the minutes so far this season are the same (or slightly reduced) as what Jose had. Our football hasn't been highly exciting as of yet, but Nuno seems to be getting more with slightly less than what Jose did. The amount of apologetics that take place for Jose never ceases to amaze me.

Carter-Vickers being on 20K a month is just sickening.

You know the amount he made the team in loan fees far exceeded this right?

CCV, while nowhere near good enough for Spurs, has earned the money and accepted every loan. He'll be a good player for Celtic. Other than "people who play sports for a living shouldn't get paid so much" I don't know why anyone would have an issue with him.

CCV, while nowhere near good enough for Spurs, has earned the money and accepted every loan. He'll be a good player for Celtic. Other than "people who play sports for a living shouldn't get paid so much" I don't know why anyone would have an issue with him.

Because he's average at best and doesn't deserve anything like 20K a week. Only shows how fucked football is. He doesn't pay himself though so fair fucks to him.

I don't believe I said that I was awoken or profound?

Indeed. You didn't... Just that your comments suggested that you didn't think such dialogue took place.

The importance is to make sure that such limitations of the ownership are clear to those who perhaps haven't even considered it.

I've been in both camps of the supporter divide and I have learnt from others.

I've no problem with genuine debate/discussion; just an ever decreasing tolerance for the lying and toxicty that takes place.

Well that's one take I guess...

This forum would give every benefit to every coach that they denied Mourinho.
The claims that he made our football boring ignore the various occasions we scored 5+ goals and completely ignored how dire we were under Poch for quite some time.

Mourinho may not be anywhere near his pomp, but he had no chance at Spurs. No chance.

I know. I think he would have been paid off & he gets to sign for a new club for more money too. So I think he won that battle as levy would have preferred to sell him. Unless we are now saying levy would have preferred to pay him off then sell him
If we were willing to terminate his contract, I would hazard a guess any kind of fee would have been accepted? You don't go from "we wont take less than £20m" down to a free transfer. We must have been willing to accept almost any bid.

I just think, and I said this before the signing occurred, we were never going to allow 4 RB's in the squad and on the payroll. Emerson completed his medical very early on yesterday, but didn't sign until the evening. I would guess that we spent that time desperately trying to get Aurier out and the final solution was to terminate the contract.

It'll either be a lump sum pay off, a fraction of his annual salary, or we agree to pay him until he finds a new club. We just never would have had 4 senior RB's in the squad.

We have nothing to complain about regarding CCV. Did everything that was asked of him without complaint or making a fuss. The team's and their fans we have loaned him to have liked him (Levy asking too much for a permanent deal?).
Had a decent preseason for us before having a shocker against that Portuguese outfit. Certainly never done anything to piss Spurs fans off.

One part of our recent transfer policy is to buy young players that are almost dead certs to become elite players.
Reguilon was in the Europa League team of the season and is getting games for Spain.
Romero was in Serie A team of the season and is starting for Argentina
Bryan Gil is one of the brightest prospects and is already getting caps even at his age
Emerson Royal is starting games as a RB for Brazil
Bergwijn has been known as one of the best prospects for years.

I like this transfer policy.

That's a little favorable to Jose...

I agree with the general sentiment that the squad needed some major upgrades and there was only so much anyone could do with that set of players.

As for the names on that list:

Sure, Sissoko was terrible. Rose was relegated to the sidelines and wasn't even a factor in out team, and he had a newly acquired Reguilon and a serviceable backup in Davies. Hart and Gazzaniga had almost no impact on our season as backups to Hugo. Toby wanted to leave and his going to Qatar is more about his age than quality.

For the most part, the lineups we have used for the majority of the minutes so far this season are the same (or slightly reduced) as what Jose had. Our football hasn't been highly exciting as of yet, but Nuno seems to be getting more with slightly less than what Jose did. The amount of apologetics that take place for Jose never ceases to amaze me.
I'm not an apologist for Jose. I'm just pointing out that what he h8ad to work with was not really acceptable and the quality of the squad has been declining for years. We're now turning that around. Which is a good thing.

I'm not an apologist for Jose. I'm just pointing out that what he h8ad to work with was not really acceptable and the quality of the squad has been declining for years. We're now turning that around. Which is a good thing.
I agree with that and it was more in reference to the tweet, not you. The squad had a number of issues and holes, and we still have some for sure. It will take another window or two to address all of them, but hopefully we have learned as a club that you cannot sit on your laurels and not make moves just because you are satisfied.

Moves like Gil and Sarr are needed probably every summer, just to bring in some fresh blood and players with promise to challenge for positions and maybe find one of our next key players.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom