Summer 2021 - Transfer Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still think Romero's 50m should be included in that figure in real terms - as all we've done is delayed the payment - and most purchases by all clubs are paid in instalments anyway. The point being we've effectively committed to purchase the guy this summer. That would give us an 80m net spend.

I guess it will show up in next summer's figures, so will even itself out. but in reality it's a purchase commitment made this summer.

Agreed

Particularly since the reason for the loan wth option to purchase was only because Romero was sold at the start of TW before Spurs bought him, so only reaon for loan was to avoid rule saying player cannot play for 3 clubs. So in practical terms its a straight buy - unless Romero fluffs his lines and it becomes a 'try before you buy' ......

Hoping Nuno refrains from using as many of the remaining deadwood players as possible. Can drop one of the 2 CB donkies in favour of Romero. No need to use Winks. Aurier gone. No need to use Doherty.
Agreed. Only problem is that the season is so long. What Kane and PEH achieved is Superhuman. I don't think it is possible to maintain it again.

Agreed. Only problem is that the season is so long. What Kane and PEH achieved is Superhuman. I don't think it is possible to maintain it again.

Kane should never have been playing in the ropey league last season.
People also seem to forget Son get's over used. I think he runs himself into the ground inside 70 minutes most matches.
I think the only coach that knew it was Poch who subbed him off before the end in most matches.
Mourinho played him for 90 minutes week after week and he visibly burnt out befoe the end of the season last season.

We will still have to watch Winks hide and we have absolutely no idea if Royal will be better or worse than Aurier. Who on his day could be unplayable.
We will very rarely have to watch Winks get any meaningful minutes barring an injury crisis.

Too bad it was at best 50/50 as to whether it was Aurier's day or not. It's a fresh start with Emerson and I prefer to assume he's decent based on playing for Barca, breaking into the national team and being pursued by Paratici.

I actually find it unsettling how often black players get confused on TV but more unsettling how rarely the person who confused them even attempts to correct themselves. IE, if some one said Aurier instead of Ndombele during a match, even after it becomes apparent they were wrong, they won't say it.
If they said Dier instead of Alderwiereld, they'd make a point of correcting it.

Is it a remit to not be seen to be mistaking black players?

Why aren't you reading ALL the words....???

Romano's tweet is contradictory.... Presumably bad English.

Gold's claims both clubs say different things.

Conclusion = It's not clear if it an option or an obligation.

Even if it does turn out to be an option that can only be a good thing so just forget about it and move on, FFS.

It's clearly an obligation. Hence 6 year contract.

This is identical to GLC, who Betis completed their obligation to purchase from PSG the same summer we purchased from them and called that a loan with buy option/obligation, but contract for the player.

This is identical to GLC, who Betis completed their obligation to purchase from PSG the same summer we purchased from them and called that a loan with buy option/obligation, but contract for the player.

That was my take all along..... Just trying to be even-handed whilst dismissing the prissy attitude of the previous poster.

Yeah Sissoko wasn't good enough, but at least he provided some excitement in the way he played for about 2 seasons. He dribbled past players for fun, used his superior strength to bully players and did a bit of everything.

The hate was excessive. We have had, and continue to have worse players.

Good luck to him. He's a genuine decent fella.
Don't think it was so much hate as frustration that we gave so many minutes to such a limited player. Especially as we watched Wijnaldum blossom.

His (and Winks) rise to prominance directly coincided with our decline as a team - the CL run being an obvious miraculous exception.

It was obvious we needed to upgrade him with a compentent footballer but we took so long to do it that fans naturally grew more frustrated by the season.

Again, I draw your attention to the THFC official website.

No mention whatsoever of contract length anywhere in the announcement.

On the other hand.

Royal - 2nd paragraph

We are delighted to announce the signing of Emerson Royal from Barcelona, subject to international clearance and a work permit.

The right-back has signed a contract with us until 2026 and will wear the number 12 shirt.

Gil - 2nd paragraph

We are delighted to announce the signing of Bryan Gil from Sevilla, with Erik Lamela joining the Spanish club as part of the deal.

The exciting young winger, 20, joins us on a contract until 2026.

Not so sure BC.

If its a 'loan with an obligation to buy' I think iit would be treated as a purchase under football rules as you cannot get out of obligation

If its a loan with an option, almost cetainly everybody thinks its likey that the option will be exercised but legally its not certain. My guess is that this would be true for both Lo Celso and Romero. But I could be wrong !

Bringing that many starters is completely unrealistic for any club that isn't funded by a state or oligarchs. On average we bring in two starters a year, which we have done this year. Unfortunately we're still paying the price for the 18/19, and 19/20 windows, where we failed to bring in any starters.
I agree. Best we can hope for is windows that makes us hang on to 5-7th type positions. I think your judging the window based on what’s realistic under levy so then yeah, 2 decent signings Is a hell of a window. But if you judge it on what we need then it’s average as obviously we ended up 7th. We needed a lot more.
sort of like 1 ok signing is great when you think he decided on no signings. But 1 ok signing in general is crap. It depends what your judging it on. What we need or expectations under levy who has you said, messed up 2 windows so bad & we are still messed up because of it.
Same way we lower expectations of players come in as time ticks down & we realise we have glaring holes still. Last minute signing of an ok striker most would love. But obviously they would much rather a better striker in & much earlier. I think it’s the effect levy has had on us.
A good window is having players finishing 7th. A great one maybe we sneak above West Ham.

It is always funny to see the apologists try to compare a top 4, CL winning side to us. Its almost like they don't need players as much as we do, but anything to try and take the focus on the utter dogshit transfer business we have done under Levy.
Well, we're also a top 4, CL finalist side. Just having a down period right now. So did Chelsea at spells. So I don't quite get your point.

Well, we're also a top 4, CL finalist side. Just having a down period right now. So did Chelsea at spells. So I don't quite get your point.

We were a top 4, CL finalist side we are not close to that now.

The point is Chelsea can afford to act a certain way in the transfer market because their squad does not require the massive improvements that we do.

We were a top 4, CL finalist side we are not close to that now.

The point is Chelsea can afford to act a certain way in the transfer market because their squad does not require the massive improvements that we do.
just how close is actually being top of the league (to being top 4) then? Is it Europe League close?
Europa Conference close?
relegation?

I thought being top of the league was seriously close to being in the top 4

Sorry but that's fantasy. We spent 4 years in the CL places. Woolwich spent 22 consecutive years. do you say they're a champions league team having a bad spell?
Newcastle and Leeds spent time in the CL then fell from there, do you call them a Champions League team?

Our little forray into it was a perfect storm. A set of players under a coach at exactly the right time.
The odd of us replicating that again are slim because it was actually good scouting and a wonderkid from the academy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom