Summer 2021 - Transfer Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is really good comparison, but to avoid confusion, I was only saying they were lucky in their 2016 EPL winning season. I agree it's probably being more shrewd, but I have no idea if they simply have a better scouting network or not. To some degree, it has to be luck, right?

All those purchases wouldn't have been possible if they were still just, y'know, Leicester...

But it's undeniable that they've had much better transfers since. You could also argue that letting our sports science head go to Liverpool really helped them get ahead. Still fucks me off, that.

Ah, okay. In terms of title winning season, sure - they had to had luck. Can't argue with that.

But in terms of scouting / recruitment I would strongly argue against luck point. I mean there has to be some of it involved, but this track record implies there is something more than that involved as well :) .

I agree that he would be a risk - but so are all players anyway. Luka Jovic, after joining Real M., is one good example of that. Griezemann's another.
Yes, you can buy some untested talented or end-of-career CF for a "better" price but the end result, literally, most probably will be far poorer as well.
Fact is, there aren't many top-quality CF's in the market right now and it never will - with that I mean CF who fit Spurs' budget. As other clubs that normally would be after a player like Vlahovic are now short of money, due to covid, this may be the only chance Spurs have to sign a quality Kane replacement (if Kane stays, that's a different story).
Vlahovic and Kane are on the same level speed-wise. Since Spurs play possession football, so the speed of the brain and ball-skills is often more important than physical pace (of course, pace is a wanted and needed quality as well).
Vlahovic is much quicker than Harry Kane. It's not even close.

Ah, okay. In terms of title winning season, sure - they had to had luck. Can't argue with that.

But in terms of scouting / recruitment I would strongly argue against luck point. I mean there has to be some of it involved, but this track record implies there is something more than that involved as well :) .
Marhez 500k from Havre
Kanté 9M from Caen

Tottenham are in preliminary talks with Wolves about signing Conor Coady, with Spurs boss Nuno Espirito Santo keen to be reunited with the 28-year-old England defender in north London. (Football Insider)

For reasonable fee I would be quite happy with that.

- Lad is ever-present - he has played 10 710 consecutive minutes of EPL football... not missing a minute across 3 full seasons if we exclude the black swan that is COVID and he was forced to be in quarantine for 1 (!) game.
- HG - we all know that this is significant benefit
- In prime age - at 28 and with very impressive health record he should be able to play for 4 seasons comfortably
- he and Nuno know each other very well - so there is some of Poch-Alderweireld vibe from this - I don't think we were expecting to get such a good deal from this one either!

Not saying that he is best CB in the world or super exiting signing, but if Romero is as good as we hope he is, then Coady would be our Lovren to our VVD. Still massive upgrade on Dier. Plus we would have Rodon and Tanganga as up-and-comers + most likely stuck with Dier as backup of backups and Davies who is able to fill in as CB.

A big NO from me to Cuntinho, thanks.

I would take Coady - not a glamour signing but a sensible, solid one who I think would sit alongside Romero very well. Coady+Romero would be sooooo much better than last year's shambles.

For reasonable fee I would be quite happy with that.

- Lad is ever-present - he has played 10 710 consecutive minutes of EPL football... not missing a minute across 3 full seasons if we exclude the black swan that is COVID and he was forced to be in quarantine for 1 (!) game.
- HG - we all know that this is significant benefit
- In prime age - at 28 and with very impressive health record he should be able to play for 4 seasons comfortably
- he and Nuno know each other very well - so there is some of Poch-Alderweireld vibe from this - I don't think we were expecting to get such a good deal from this one either!

Not saying that he is best CB in the world or super exiting signing, but if Romero is as good as we hope he is, then Coady would be our Lovren to our VVD. Still massive upgrade on Dier. Plus we would have Rodon and Tanganga as up-and-comers + most likely stuck with Dier as backup of backups and Davies who is able to fill in as CB.
Don't think he'd be much of an upgrade on Dier tbh, if any. Better with the ball and a decent sweeper in a back three. So much of Wolves struggles last season stemmed from their CB's when they tried to play a back four. Couldn't play any kind of high line, had to keep two cm's deep for protection and kept tame possession as a result. He turns slowly, can't defend well 1v1 and doesn't contest headers very well. I think it would end up a terrible signing, not dissimilar to Doherty.

Successful dribbles in PL last season.
Adama is top, and it's not even close.

Yes, cause dribbles are the important stat to focus over.

Totally compensates for the fact that he was involved in all but one of the games, yet did not manage to produce goal nor assist for 28 games in a row.

Superstar.
Crutial signing.
Must get done.

Bull shit.

I work for a British law firm now, and they do big football deals as well (though from the financing side). If there's a deal in place the side has been exchanging redlined versions for 2-3 weeks now.
nice to have some insight but could it possibly be Premiership player registration and visa applications? It would make sense that versions of contracts are exchanged over a number of days/weeks.

Don't think he'd be much of an upgrade on Dier tbh, if any. Better with the ball and a decent sweeper in a back three. So much of Wolves struggles last season stemmed from their CB's when they tried to play a back four. Couldn't play any kind of high line, had to keep two cm's deep for protection and kept tame possession as a result. He turns slowly, can't defend well 1v1 and doesn't contest headers very well. I think it would end up a terrible signing, not dissimilar to Doherty.
Yup. Coady looks decent in a 3 CB system, because he has protection either side.

But he's slow, and would be exposed on the turn in the 2 CB system we're likely to play. Also I think he has several years left on his Wolves contract, so would be very expensive.

No to Coady from me.

If Lukaku is going for 120 million, then 150 is totally fair for Kane.

Umm... not really.

One thing is that HK is homegrown.

Other thing is that HK footballing brain, tehcnique and range of playing are all 3x of Lukakus.
RL is literally a (fit) donkey in football boots compared to Kane. Just look at some of Kane's passes for example.

If Lukaku is 120 then Kane is 200 if you ask me.
Not that we could realistically get that kind of money.

What I would like the club to do until the end of the transfer market.

Sell Aurier, Sanchez, Winks and Sissoko

Put some youngsters on loan like CCV, Jack Clarke and Cirkin...

Keep Sessegnon, Skipp and Kane.

Buy: 1 RB( Max Aarons?) 1 CB plus Romero(probably the Japonese), Buy 1 CM( Ruben Neves a good option), 1 Winger( Adama?) And a back up striker on loan, like we did with Vinicius...
I believe Tomiyasu is viewed as RB first and foremost.

There have been no credible links to any other right backs but plenty to centre backs. We will sign Tomi and one more CB imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom