Summer 2022 Transfer Thread.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Sky saying the filthy chavs have a made a £40 million bid for Everton's Anthony Gordon.

Don't see it myself. They need a CF, not another wide player.

Let's qualify that a little better, a top coach and virtually limitless funds wins things.

Yes Chelsea won an awful lot since Abramovic took them over, but to do that he shelled out over £1.5Bn out of his own pocket.

You seem to think that owners are obliged to do this to sate your personal need for trophies, so if Chelsea or City have done then so should we.

We've been down the route of spending beyond our means, it nearly killed our club.

Liverpool didn't have limitless funds when they won the champions league (and runners up twice) the Premier league, the fa Cup and the league cup in the space of what, 3 years?
They had a great coach who was backed with the players he needed at the time.
I'm hoping that's what we're finally seeing at Spurs as it sure as shit rarely ever happened in the past. (Don't think Poch knew what we needed tbh)

I’d say you felt wrong. After AVB, I don’t remember anyone else being seriously linked. Paper talk of Van Gaal perhaps(?) , who, I think was free at the time before going to United.

Not that I wanted him, but LVG was top choice. I even recalled De Boer being linked and wanted by some fans.

Can somebody please tell me why we're not in for Frenkie De Jong?

Because he's fairly average, plays on a position we have at least 5 players for and earns the kind of monet that's hopefully gonna see Barcelona go out of business

Liverpool didn't have limitless funds when they won the champions league (and runners up twice) the Premier league, the fa Cup and the league cup in the space of what, 3 years?
They had a great coach who was backed with the players he needed at the time.
I'm hoping that's what we're finally seeing at Spurs as it sure as shit rarely ever happened in the past. (Don't think Poch knew what we needed tbh)

Not that I wanted him, but LVG was top choice. I even recalled De Boer being linked and wanted by some fans.

Because he's fairly average, plays on a position we have at least 5 players for and earns the kind of monet that's hopefully gonna see Barcelona go out of business
Liverpool I'll give you, though they're the exception rather than the rule. They also overspent massively in their 30 year hunt for a PL title, going through a number of owners and managers until they got it right.

Lo Celso gone now and hopefully Ndombele on the precipice. Should be a boon for our remaining transfer plans.

Less worried about Winks and Reguilon, think they have options and are just being patient until the end of the window assessing options. They’re both useful enough and not on outrageous wages, they’ll go somewhere.

Still could use another technical type player, still feels like it’ll be Zaniolo. Probably another CB would be useful, but no real links currently.

Wild that the window is still open and we’re basically talking about cherries on top. Squad and team are going to look a lot better when Bissouma, Richarlison, and Perisic are fully fit and integrated. Today was a positive step.

Liverpool I'll give you, though they're the exception rather than the rule. They also overspent massively in their 30 year hunt for a PL title, going through a number of owners and managers until they got it right.
With rubbish coaches.
As we're seeing at Man United and Woolwich, throwing money at bad coaches brings very little in return.

The best United have done since Fergie is 2nd place (a mile behind 1st) and a couple of cups under Mourinho, the only decent coach they've had.

We have one of the best coaches in the world now. One who, paired with a reasonable DoF, is capable of using the money properly. We must make sure we take full advantage of it.
We also have to start matching our rivals on wages for top targets. Have to

Our performance against Chelsea today - was it Conte's tactics or did we just not have the players?

What are1 or 2 signings that would solve the issues we saw today?
It was the system, if we'd gone:

Lloris
Emerson - Romero - Dier - Davies
Hojbjerg - Bissouma
Kane
Kulu - Rich - Son

from the start we would have actually been competitive in the first half. The 343 has been found out by Tuchel and Conte was just slow to react.

We need to avoid making the same mistake again in the reverse fixture.

I thought Dier and Romero were fine today to be honest

Bentancur and PEH just got run over playing in a 2 which meant our front 3 had to play CDM 95% of the game

I'm not 100% convinced today's issues was because of personnel
against the real top sides davies and dier are out of their depth. get away with them against bottom half sides but against the top 5 they are weak links. lenglet has davies covered but im worried about dier in the big games, gets skinned far too easy and hes not good enough in possession.

Our performance against Chelsea today - was it Conte's tactics or did we just not have the players?

What are1 or 2 signings that would solve the issues we saw today?

It was Chelsea's tactics and Conte's inability to change it early on.

Chelsea were tactically perfect in that first half. Didn't let us to do anything on the ball or off the ball. We were lucky they only managed to go into the break at 1 up. But Conte really should have changed something in the first half to keep them guessing. And he certainly should have switched it up at half time instead of waiting mid way through the second half.

It wouldn't have mattered what players we had. Tuchel had Conte's number for 60 minutes. I said it in the match thread. We had the exact same players against the best team in the country and we not only outplayed them but beat them at their own ground last season.

Back
Top Bottom