Summer 2022 Transfer Thread.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

So what are you saying?

That being owned by Irving Scholar, Alan Sugar and ENIC is a coincidence that our typical trophy haul is fallen off a cliff?

I don't really see your point at all. If anything, it sounds like you're quite happy we never win anything. Either that or you don't understand that clubs who invest in the team win stuff and clubs who fart around building new stands to make money don't.
Scholar and Sugar kept doing that. ENIC built an entire stadium.
The only one who actually went out and really signed big players was Scolar and of the 3, his Spurs won the most. Proof is in the pudding.
No. Your view is that « if spurs do the right thing (ie spend) then we will win things. » But this is wrong for two reasons.
1) If it were that easy - just spend! - then every club would be winning the PL every year. It’s really hard to do that effectively on a limited budget. In fact Man Utd are showing its hard to do if you have hundreds of millions to spend.
2) There are factors OUTSIDE of our control too. Like what other teams are doing. Like sports washing.

Let’s look at the biggest spenders each season, how much they spent, where they finished and if they won anything.

2022 - Woolwich - 167m - 5th
2021 - Chelsea - 242m - 3rd
2020 - Manchester United - 235m - 3rd
2019 - Chelsea - 209m - 3rd
2018 - Manchester City - 317.5m - 1st, League Cup
2017 - Manchester City - 215m - 3rd
2016 - Manchester City - 208.5m - 4th, League cup
2015 - Manchester United - 195m - 4th
2014 - Chelsea - 130m - 3rd
2013 - Chelsea - 110m - 3rd, Europa League

So in the last 10 seasons the biggest spenders have finished 3-5 in the league every year but one.

They have won a total of 3 trophies. Man City twice won the league cup and Chelse won the Europa league.

Spending is far from a guarantee of success.

Who is spending the most?
Man Utd (most successful team in the past 42 years) and the two sports washers. Year after year.

If spending is the key to success, HOW THE MERRY FUCK WERE WE MEANT TO COMPETE WITH CITY, CHELSEA AND UNITED?

The era before Levy was also very barren. And then Spurs did not have to compete against clubs sponsored by "blood money" and yet Spurs could not establish themselves as a top club.
Yet, after Levy took over - more or less around the time Pochettino was appointed - Spurs have established themselves as a top EPL club.
And under him, Spurs did get to the CL final, which to me is a much bigger achievement than winning a domestic cup.

Wait, you think ENIC took over around the?
They'd be failing to get us going for a solid 12 years before poch.

This ENIC appointed such talents as Santini, Ramos, AVB, Nuno. Their best appointments seem to constantly follow their worst.
Jol was an accident after Santini.
Redknapp was an accident after Ramos
Pochettino was an accident in some regards after AVB. I admit fully he was great for us but I always felt he wasn't tip choice.
Now Conte us here through sheer desperation after the PR nightmare that was Nuno.

No. Your view is that « if spurs do the right thing (ie spend) then we will win things. » But this is wrong for two reasons.
1) If it were that easy - just spend! - then every club would be winning the PL every year. It’s really hard to do that effectively on a limited budget. In fact Man Utd are showing its hard to do if you have hundreds of millions to spend.
2) There are factors OUTSIDE of our control too. Like what other teams are doing. Like sports washing.

Let’s look at the biggest spenders each season, how much they spent, where they finished and if they won anything.

So in the last 10 seasons the biggest spenders have finished 3-5 in the league every year but one.

They have won a total of 3 trophies. Man City twice won the league cup and Chelse won the Europa league.

Man Utd (most successful team in the past 42 years) and the two sports washers. Year after year.

If spending is the key to success, HOW THE MERRY FUCK WERE WE MEANT TO COMPETE WITH CITY, CHELSEA AND UNITED?
You're seriously picking the years Chelsea failed to win the league when they've won things almost every single year since RA bought them? They finished 3rd last year but they won thr club world cup. They won the champions league the year before. They've won more since Abramovich than we have as a club and it's ALL from squad spending and having a top coach.
And you're leaving City out whilst highlighting the other teams

You've put the likes of Woolwich and United in there as examples of failure but Woolwich keep giving a pleb like Arteta money. And even that clueless idiot won an FA Cup.

A top coach and a good squad wins things.
A muppet like 3/4 of the coaches ENIC have employed and donkey players won't.

You're seriously picking the years Chelsea failed to win the league when they've won things almost every single year since RA bought them? They finished 3rd last year but they won thr club world cup. They won the champions league the year before. They've won more since Abramovich than we have as a club and it's ALL from squad spending and having a top coach.

You've put the likes of Woolwich and United in there as examples of failure but Woolwich keep giving a pleb like Arteta money. And even that clueless idiot won an FA Cup.

I don’t think you understood.

I showed you the team that’s spent the most for each of the past 10 years. I didn’t choose anything. It’s the clubs who did the spending.

I notice that you did not answer my question. How are we supposed to have spent as much as Chelsea, Man City and United ?

It’s one thing to SAY we should have but another thing to DO consistently. Do you think that is a realistic thing to expect?

Hear me out: Harry Maguire

jim carrey GIF

🤙

Let's qualify that a little better, a top coach and virtually limitless funds wins things.

Yes Chelsea won an awful lot since Abramovic took them over, but to do that he shelled out over £1.5Bn out of his own pocket.

You seem to think that owners are obliged to do this to sate your personal need for trophies, so if Chelsea or City have done then so should we.

We've been down the route of spending beyond our means, it nearly killed our club.

Do you have the same info, but for wages instead of transfer spend? I have always thought wages more important to success, though I could be wrong (see current Man Utd).

Wait, you think ENIC took over around the?
They'd be failing to get us going for a solid 12 years before poch.

This ENIC appointed such talents as Santini, Ramos, AVB, Nuno. Their best appointments seem to constantly follow their worst.
Jol was an accident after Santini.
Redknapp was an accident after Ramos
Pochettino was an accident in some regards after AVB. I admit fully he was great for us but I always felt he wasn't tip choice.
Now Conte us here through sheer desperation after the PR nightmare that was Nuno.
I’d say you felt wrong. After AVB, I don’t remember anyone else being seriously linked. Paper talk of Van Gaal perhaps(?) , who, I think was free at the time before going to United.

I’d say you felt wrong. After AVB, I don’t remember anyone else being seriously linked. Paper talk of Van Gaal perhaps(?) , who, I think was free at the time before going to United.
First choice was Van Gaal after AVB and Sherwood. Levy went to meet him and offered him the job. I think he is on record of saying he was offered Tottenham but you cant turn down Man U.

Last edited:
Do you have the same info, but for wages instead of transfer spend? I have always thought wages more important to success, though I could be wrong (see current Man Utd).
I don’t. It’s really hard to find. I suspect id either have to go through club accounts or … Swiss ramble might have some of that. I’d prefer wages too…

I suspect wages are a better measure because…
1) there’s smoothing involved - the wages I spend today are a function of the quality of player I have bought over 4 or 5 years rather than just the 1 year.
2) As free transfers become more popular, it also takes these into account.
3) A player with a year left might go on a cut price deal. Their value is not fully reflected by the fee paid.

Haaland, Perisic and Eriksen are three players signed this summer whose value to the club is better represented by their wage than their transfer fee.

None of this really changes the fact that spending is not an explanation for why we haven’t won trophies because no data will change the economic reality that Man Utd, City and Chelsea have had far more money to spend than us.

We need transfers. A midfielder who can play with the ball, and a RWB if Conte's gonna banish DJ Ed.

Back
Top Bottom