Summer 2022 Transfer Thread.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Hear me out: Harry Maguire

ron swanson spinning GIF

This may have been a good idea....had it not been for the fact that Kim Min-Jae, on 27 July 2022, joined Napoli... :cool:

Tottenham can do £40m transfer for Conte as he makes Chelsea goal vow

How Tottenham can complete £40m transfer for Conte favourite as major Chelsea goal vow made​

By
Tom Coley
04:00, 14 AUG 2022

Tottenham Hotspur news on Sunday

Your Tottenham Hotspur morning digest on Sunday, August 14.

Spurs could still dip into the transfer market as Antonio Conte searches for a new centre-back.
Although Clement Lenglet has already been bought in, with Japhet Tanganga still being pushed for a move away from the club, Conte would like to add depth to his defence and could go for Kim Min-Jae.

The player reportedly has a £40m release clause and is a firm favourite of Conte's. There is also a long list of people that have praised the defender, with former Napoli player Gaetano Fontana saying he "has an innate leadership ability. He can take risks while also handling situations well."

Last edited:
To me he's clearly saying we cannot continue repeating mistakes of the past. Conte is a winner, and wants to keep that record intact

No more missing our targets for the sake of saving a few quid.

No more buy cheap buy twice shenanigans

No more self imposed transfer embargo to set us back 5 years

Act like a big club with a big manager, we'll be rewarded like a big club with a big manager

very-simple-uncomplicated.gif
Um no, Conte is not saying any of these things. Maybe in your head he is, but not in everyone else's reality.

If we drop £60million on securing Maddison this summer I'll get "Levy In" tattooed on my arse cheeks
And then Conte will throw a fit, because he doesn't want Maddison, and come out saying he was a club purchase that he didn't sanction and you'll be blaming Levy for not backing the manager.

The state of some people's reasoning...

:contefacepalm2:

So your argument is we haven’t been a massive club in the past 42 years?

We were a successful club 1960-1984. In those 24 years we won 11 trophies - a trophy every two and a bit years. In the 38 years since we’ve one an FA cup and 2 league cups.

It’s nice for us but it’s not reputation we can trade off. Nottingham forest won 7 trophies in 13 years (1977-1990) including two European cups (which we’ve never won). That’s not much good to them now because reputation fades.

Using trophies won 20+ years ago as proof of anything is useless because that reputation cannot be cashed in today.
So what are you saying?

That being owned by Irving Scholar, Alan Sugar and ENIC is a coincidence that our typical trophy haul is fallen off a cliff?

I don't really see your point at all. If anything, it sounds like you're quite happy we never win anything. Either that or you don't understand that clubs who invest in the team win stuff and clubs who fart around building new stands to make money don't.
Scholar and Sugar kept doing that. ENIC built an entire stadium.
The only one who actually went out and really signed big players was Scolar and of the 3, his Spurs won the most. Proof is in the pudding.

So what are you saying?

That being owned by Irving Scholar, Alan Sugar and ENIC is a coincidence that our typical trophy haul is fallen off a cliff?

I don't really see your point at all. If anything, it sounds like you're quite happy we never win anything. Either that or you don't understand that clubs who invest in the team win stuff and clubs who fart around building new stands to make money don't.
The only one who actually went out and really signed big players was Scolar and of the 3, his Spurs won the most. Proof is in the pudding.
Matt, we've built a fuck off stadium in an era of sports washing and been in like 7 finals under ENIC. We've been very, very close to having a different narrative.

There's no doubt that Levy had made fuckloads of mistakes, some as recently as a year ago. Penny pinching, tightness, no transfers, wrong transfers, etc.

But it isn't all "fucking ENIC".

We *should* or *could* have won the league twice in the last six years. We just fell short, for multiple reasons.

Um no, Conte is not saying any of these things. Maybe in your head he is, but not in everyone else's reality.

I don't think he's totally wrong. We can't keep spending money on crap like Lo Celso only to be lumped with them for years.
Sometimes paying a bit more either salary or fee wise is what you need do.
Look at Kante vs Sissoko. Both cost about £30m but one was a 5 figure salary the other was probably 200k a week.

Matt, we've built a fuck off stadium in an era of sports washing and been in like 7 finals under ENIC. We've been very, very close to having a different narrative.

There's no doubt that Levy had made fuckloads of mistakes, some as recently as a year ago. Penny pinching, tightness, no transfers, wrong transfers, etc.

But it isn't all "fucking ENIC".

We *should* or *could* have won the league twice in the last six years. We just fell short, for multiple reasons.

Building the stadium  might pay off now.
But spending the last 20 years struggling to get it done has cost us. I can't see how any sane person could say otherwise.
In that time Chelsea, City and now Newcastle have hit the jackpot financially. In a few years we're going to have to compete against 3 super wealthy teams, AND United, AND Liverpool, AND Woolwich. So the 20 years spent with more than one eye on the stadium has seen our most barron spell since pre war and seen multiple teams surpass us that we now now have to try and catch.

I don't think he's totally wrong. We can't keep spending money on crap like Lo Celso only to be lumped with them for years.
Sometimes paying a bit more either salary or fee wise is what you need do.
Look at Kante vs Sissoko. Both cost about £30m but one was a 5 figure salary the other was probably 200k a week.
Tanguy and GLC were our first choice targets, not our plan B. And at the time Kante moved to Chelsea we were neither a big draw, couldn't afford a 200K player without upsetting the entire salary structure, and signed big Vic, who would have been an equally stellar signing were it not for his injuries. And we still finished that season with a record points haul.

Right now we're a different proposition, so if you're going to make any comparisons make them with Spurs since 2019.

Long story short.... If it wasn't for sports-washing petro doping we'd still be the 4th most successful team, have spent a lot lot more time in the CL
Unless one of the sports washing petro dopers happen to smash Woolwich in the penultimate game.........allowing us to claim our place in the, erm...Champions league

:mourweird:

But spending the last 20 years struggling to get it done has cost us. I can't see how any sane person could say otherwise.
In that time Chelsea, City and now Newcastle have hit the jackpot financially. In a few years we're going to have to compete against 3 super wealthy teams, AND United, AND Liverpool, AND Woolwich. So the 20 years spent with more than one eye on the stadium has seen our most barron spell since pre war and seen multiple teams surpass us that we now now have to try and catch.
The era before Levy was also very barren. And then Spurs did not have to compete against clubs sponsored by "blood money" and yet Spurs could not establish themselves as a top club.
Yet, after Levy took over - more or less around the time Pochettino was appointed - Spurs have established themselves as a top EPL club.
And under him, Spurs did get to the CL final, which to me is a much bigger achievement than winning a domestic cup.

So what are you saying?

And he bankrupt the club.

You seem happy to infer that building our infrastructure means more to some than trophies. By that reasoning, we should infer that you place trophies ahead of the health of the club. In other words, you'd be quite happy to see the club go to the wall as long as there are trophies for you to brag about.

FWIW, I don't actually believe you think this way, but it's easy to "infer" it using the same argument you have applied to others.

Revisionist rubbish. We weren’t passed in the last twenty years. We were passed long before that.

And it’s barren.

This may have been a good idea....had it not been for the fact that Kim Min-Jae, on 27 July 2022, joined Napoli... :cool:

Tottenham can do £40m transfer for Conte as he makes Chelsea goal vow

How Tottenham can complete £40m transfer for Conte favourite as major Chelsea goal vow made​

By
Tom Coley
04:00, 14 AUG 2022

Tottenham Hotspur news on Sunday

Your Tottenham Hotspur morning digest on Sunday, August 14.

Spurs could still dip into the transfer market as Antonio Conte searches for a new centre-back.
Although Clement Lenglet has already been bought in, with Japhet Tanganga still being pushed for a move away from the club, Conte would like to add depth to his defence and could go for Kim Min-Jae.

The player reportedly has a £40m release clause and is a firm favourite of Conte's. There is also a long list of people that have praised the defender, with former Napoli player Gaetano Fontana saying he "has an innate leadership ability. He can take risks while also handling situations well."
Hang down your head Tom Cooley.

Back
Top Bottom