Summer 2022 Transfer Thread.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Evan Ndicka is very courted. Tottenham and ManU are tracking the Frankfurt defender, recent Europa League winner. In Monaco, his name comes up insistently if Benoît Badiashile is transferred. Ndicka does not rule out playing UCL with Frankfurt next season.

Mbappé is a humble, team-oriented guy who is obscenely talented. However a three year contract worth over a quarter of a billion without bonuses is obscene.

There are no effective controls on financial doping if this goes through without punishment. Hugely unattractive for the sport.

Spurs could do worse than going for a Croatian trio to strengthen the left side.
Borno Sosa, Gvardiol and Majer are all 3 left-footers.
Gvardiol is my 1st choice LCB - but he will cost a lot and is wanted by several top clubs.
Soso can play as LWB & CM. He's not a my 1st choice LWB and he's not a high-profile player but he could give Sessegnon competition for the LWB spot.
Majer is a tenacious and technical CM'er in the Modric mold who couldcombine well with either Højbjerg or Bentancur. Of course, there are question marks about how'd do in a MF-2.

The Next Great Croatian Midfielder Ripping Up Ligue 1 With Stade Rennes​

january 24, 2022

Croatia in recent years has produced some exceptional modern midfielders. They are more than usually blessed with an excellent work ethic which compliments their technique and versatile skill set. The likes of Luka Modric ,Matteo Kovacic, Ivan Rakitic and Marcelo Brozovic come to mind instantly when talking about Croatian midfielders, their quality over the years has been considered elite.

Lovro Majer seems to be the next in line to be a midfield maestro from Croatia. Much like his idol Luka Modric, the 24 year old graduated from Dinamo Zagreb’s famed academy. Majer got his first big move in the summer window of the 2021/22 season and made a switch to Stade Rennes in Ligue 1.

The influence of Modric on Majer is clear to see and their on-field resemblance is sometimes uncanny. They also have the same initials coincidentally , LM.

THE PROMISE OF MAJER

This season Lovro Majer’s stats reflect his capability to fulfill the 8/10 hybrid role or the mezzala role for the best managers and the best teams. In 13 appearances till date in Ligue 1 he has a solitary goal and 5 assists.

When he was bought in he was seen as a replacement for the Madrid bound Camavinga but he posses a more attacking threat than the French starlet, who is seen as a modern number 6.

A deeper look into Majer’s numbers shows us that he is a creative hub for the team. He makes 4.2 shots creating actions, which gives him an expected assist ratio of 0.33 per 90 almost on par with KDB’s 0.35.

He also takes 2 shots per 90 which is impressive for a central midfielder , De Bruyne on the other hand takes double the shots but he is the best at it in Europe from the center of the park.

Lovro Majer’s numbers in terms of progression are impressive too. He completes 7.2 progressive carries and successfully receives 4 progressive passes, which makes him an elite baller carrier through midfield.

His progressive passing could improve which is average at worst with 4 only progressive passes. He also completes about 2 dribbles per 90 which ranks him in the top 5% of midfielders around Europe.

What makes him truly standout are his pressure numbers. Majer is a pressing machine with almost 24 pressures per 90, evidence of his crazy work ethic. Much like all tenacious Croatian midfielders before him Majer does not mind doing the dirty work too.

He makes about 3.5 tackles and interceptions per 90, which is average but not a bad figure at all for such a creative player.

Majer is the perfect embodiment of the modern 8/10 hybrid. His immense work ethic, flawless technique and versatility make him an exciting prospect for major European clubs.

Especially teams in search of creativity and an elegant ball carrier through the center of the park should pounce on the first opportunity they get to bring him in, like Tottenham, where Majer would seamlessly fit in Conte’s system at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium.

MODRIC’S TRUE HEIR!

Not to discount the sheer quality of Rakitic, Kovacic and Brozovic, but Modric has been Croatia’s best player over the last 10 years and probably ever. Lovro Majer’s displays this season have surely made him heir apparent to the 2018 Ballon D’or winner’s throne.

The stylistic similarities between Majer and Modric are uncanny. An attacking midfielder who can slot in as a 8. A midfielder who is comfortable on the ball, and can dribble through tight spaces with ease despite pressure .

He moves his team forward through the center of the park. Much like Modric,Lovro Majer is vicious when needed and his grit will surely push him to emulate his idol.

In fact his dead ball delivery is more similar to De Bruyne’s, a supremely flattering comparison but not a false one. Something Luka himself has been average at.

If he moves to Tottenham he will be following in his idol’s footsteps, according to us Conte should already be pressurizing Daniel Levy to get his cheque book out for the next Croatian Magician, Lovro Majer.

Can't really blame Mbappe. Living in Paris in your twenties on obscene money and playing farmers most weeks is an easy life. He's still young so if he wants to go and play in a league worth a damn he can do it at the end of this contract, he'll still be young.

It's where careers go to stagnate though. Nobody cares what you do in Ligue 1.

Can't really blame Mbappe. Living in Paris in your twenties on obscene money
I had a great time on 0.03% of that money. If I earned 100 times more I’d have earned 3% what he will. If each pay check was 100 times bigger I’d still only be earning 3% what he will. Staggering sums - they don’t even make sense anymore.

I worry this will kill his drive. Corrupts the game this dirty money.

I had a great time on 0.03% of that money. If I earned 100 times more I’d have earned 3% what he will. If each pay check was 100 times bigger I’d still only be earning 3% what he will. Staggering sums - they don’t even make sense anymore.

I worry this will kill his drive. Corrupts the game this dirty money.

I've only been the once but it's an incredible city. Living there with what is essentially unlimited money is probably about as close to perfect as you're gonna get. People will criticise him but he's essentially set himself up for 10 lifetimes of luxury.

It's all utterly insane though, you wonder if the sport will get exponentially more crazy or if the bubble will be burst. Mbappe's signing on fee + yearly wage is probably more than the total squad value of most clubs in the division for god sake.

I've only been the once but it's an incredible city. Living there with what is essentially unlimited money is probably about as close to perfect as you're gonna get. People will criticise him but he's essentially set himself up for 10 lifetimes of luxury.

It's all utterly insane though, you wonder if the sport will get exponentially more crazy or if the bubble will be burst. Mbappe's signing on fee + yearly wage is probably more than the total squad value of most clubs in the division for god sake.
PSG’s commercial and advertising revenue surpasses the other 19 Ligue 1 combined. Their’s is 195m Euro. Marseilles, I think , are second at 37m. Half the league has less than 10m.

So much for fair value contracts.
PSG have been taking the piss out of FFP for years.

Back
Top Bottom