Summer 2022 Transfer Thread.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I wonder what Poch's lemons think about Mbappe's new contract

lemon GIF

Spurs could do worse than going for a Croatian trio to strengthen the left side.
Borno Sosa, Gvardiol and Majer are all 3 left-footers.
Gvardiol is my 1st choice LCB - but he will cost a lot and is wanted by several top clubs.
Soso can play as LWB & CM. He's not a my 1st choice LWB and he's not a high-profile player but he could give Sessegnon competition for the LWB spot.
Majer is a tenacious and technical CM'er in the Modric mold who couldcombine well with either Højbjerg or Bentancur. Of course, there are question marks about how'd do in a MF-2.

The Next Great Croatian Midfielder Ripping Up Ligue 1 With Stade Rennes​

january 24, 2022

Croatia in recent years has produced some exceptional modern midfielders. They are more than usually blessed with an excellent work ethic which compliments their technique and versatile skill set. The likes of Luka Modric ,Matteo Kovacic, Ivan Rakitic and Marcelo Brozovic come to mind instantly when talking about Croatian midfielders, their quality over the years has been considered elite.

Lovro Majer seems to be the next in line to be a midfield maestro from Croatia. Much like his idol Luka Modric, the 24 year old graduated from Dinamo Zagreb’s famed academy. Majer got his first big move in the summer window of the 2021/22 season and made a switch to Stade Rennes in Ligue 1.

The influence of Modric on Majer is clear to see and their on-field resemblance is sometimes uncanny. They also have the same initials coincidentally , LM.

THE PROMISE OF MAJER

This season Lovro Majer’s stats reflect his capability to fulfill the 8/10 hybrid role or the mezzala role for the best managers and the best teams. In 13 appearances till date in Ligue 1 he has a solitary goal and 5 assists.

When he was bought in he was seen as a replacement for the Madrid bound Camavinga but he posses a more attacking threat than the French starlet, who is seen as a modern number 6.

A deeper look into Majer’s numbers shows us that he is a creative hub for the team. He makes 4.2 shots creating actions, which gives him an expected assist ratio of 0.33 per 90 almost on par with KDB’s 0.35.

He also takes 2 shots per 90 which is impressive for a central midfielder , De Bruyne on the other hand takes double the shots but he is the best at it in Europe from the center of the park.

Lovro Majer’s numbers in terms of progression are impressive too. He completes 7.2 progressive carries and successfully receives 4 progressive passes, which makes him an elite baller carrier through midfield.

His progressive passing could improve which is average at worst with 4 only progressive passes. He also completes about 2 dribbles per 90 which ranks him in the top 5% of midfielders around Europe.

What makes him truly standout are his pressure numbers. Majer is a pressing machine with almost 24 pressures per 90, evidence of his crazy work ethic. Much like all tenacious Croatian midfielders before him Majer does not mind doing the dirty work too.

He makes about 3.5 tackles and interceptions per 90, which is average but not a bad figure at all for such a creative player.

Majer is the perfect embodiment of the modern 8/10 hybrid. His immense work ethic, flawless technique and versatility make him an exciting prospect for major European clubs.

Especially teams in search of creativity and an elegant ball carrier through the center of the park should pounce on the first opportunity they get to bring him in, like Tottenham, where Majer would seamlessly fit in Conte’s system at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium.

MODRIC’S TRUE HEIR!

Not to discount the sheer quality of Rakitic, Kovacic and Brozovic, but Modric has been Croatia’s best player over the last 10 years and probably ever. Lovro Majer’s displays this season have surely made him heir apparent to the 2018 Ballon D’or winner’s throne.

The stylistic similarities between Majer and Modric are uncanny. An attacking midfielder who can slot in as a 8. A midfielder who is comfortable on the ball, and can dribble through tight spaces with ease despite pressure .

He moves his team forward through the center of the park. Much like Modric,Lovro Majer is vicious when needed and his grit will surely push him to emulate his idol.

In fact his dead ball delivery is more similar to De Bruyne’s, a supremely flattering comparison but not a false one. Something Luka himself has been average at.

If he moves to Tottenham he will be following in his idol’s footsteps, according to us Conte should already be pressurizing Daniel Levy to get his cheque book out for the next Croatian Magician, Lovro Majer.

The bits and bobs I have seen of Lovro Majer (24yo 8/AM Rennes - kid who played well against us for Zagreb last season) he's seemed to have had a decent first season in Ligue 1. Every time I catch a Rennes game, he seems to be doing something good. Technically very nice. Not sure where he'd fit in Conte's system though, think he mostly plays R8 for Rennes, but also plays as an ACM. Neither positions exist in Conte's rigid 343.

I've also quite like the bits I've seen of Adrien Truffert (20yo LB Rennes). Played entirely as an orthodox LB every time I've seen him, I think WB would actually suit him as he likes to attack. There's a bit of the Robertson about him, not a brilliant defender or stupendously quick, but quick enough, can take players on, attacks well and has a good engine.

Can't really blame Mbappe. Living in Paris in your twenties on obscene money and playing farmers most weeks is an easy life. He's still young so if he wants to go and play in a league worth a damn he can do it at the end of this contract, he'll still be young.

It's where careers go to stagnate though. Nobody cares what you do in Ligue 1.

Me neither, and it's not like winning the Spanish veterans league with RM is a gargantuan achievement either? Him staying at PSG means the odds of him winning the CL with PSG aren't much different to him winning it with RealBenzema Retirement home next season. After all, PSG outplayed them for 150/180 minutes this year.

PSG’s commercial and advertising revenue surpasses the other 19 Ligue 1 combined. Their’s is 195m Euro. Marseilles, I think , are second at 37m. Half the league has less than 10m.

So much for fair value contracts.
PSG have been taking the piss out of FFP for years.
If you think about what the FFP really means for France, of course they don't object. FFP breach is literally the Qatari government giving France millions every year, and getting absolutely nothing in return (except political influence).

No Qatar means ligue 1 loses even more eyeballs, more TV money.

Same with City and Chavs really.

Moura isn’t going anywhere. He has one year on his contract left and he plans to run it down and return to São Paulo.
We have no leverage over him. He’s at the end of his career and not involved with the international team.

Yea, it might be that we will be unable to move him. But I was arguing against the notion that moving him on would be a bad idea.

Though I have to say - if Conte and Levy would tell him that he would not be in the clubs plans, I doubt that he would stay where he is not wanted 🤔

Anyway, I had read the same info about his future plans and hence I was suggesting to moving him on earlier (don't remember if it was last summer or Jan).

Unrealistic to think we'll fix all our squad imbalances in one window. Conte said as much.

What's realistic? I'd be very happy with
1. An experienced CB. Most likely Paratici will go back to Serie A, maybe for one of the Inter lads
2. Christian Eriksen
3. A wing back - I'm not sure we'll get two of top quality, so depends who's available. Perisic maybe?
4. A forward, glad to hear we like Isak at R Sociedad, who are showing interest in Lo Celso, so maybe a deal to be made there
5. Another midfielder... I think Phillips would be perfect, though might be too expensive given other business, and no real rumours there.

Sell
Lo Celso, Bergwijn, Rodon, Winks. Reguilon (if we find a replacement)
Loan
Ndombele, Sarr, Gil

If Eriksen comes I'd expect us to play 352 more often. So it makes even more sense to finally buy that 2nd centre forward to cover Kane (rather than a wide forward like Diaz).

Of all of these, I think Eriksen is the biggest game changer.

Moura isn’t going anywhere. He has one year on his contract left and he plans to run it down and return to São Paulo.
We have no leverage over him. He’s at the end of his career and not involved with the international team.
pay him to go - give him half a seasons wages

Unrealistic to think we'll fix all our squad imbalances in one window. Conte said as much.

1. An experienced CB. Most likely Paratici will go back to Serie A, maybe for one of the Inter lads
2. Christian Eriksen
3. A wing back - I'm not sure we'll get two of top quality, so depends who's available. Perisic maybe?
4. A forward, glad to hear we like Isak at R Sociedad, who are showing interest in Lo Celso, so maybe a deal to be made there
5. Another midfielder... I think Phillips would be perfect, though might be too expensive given other business, and no real rumours there.

Sell
Loan
Ndombele, Sarr, Gil

If Eriksen comes I'd expect us to play 352 more often. So it makes even more sense to finally buy that 2nd centre forward to cover Kane (rather than a wide forward like Diaz).

Where would Eriksen play in a 343? I would definitely bring in Bale for forward / wide cover….. those two would be great free transfers and then focus on a stellar wing back and a CB / early-mid 20’s

2. Christian Eriksen

Sell
Loan
Ndombele, Sarr, Gil

Tbh I think Eriksen will join Man Utd. Apparently Ten Haag wants him and his tactics and style of play will better suit Eriksen compared to the way Conte operates.

Tbh I think Eriksen will join Man Utd. Apparently Ten Haag wants him and his tactics and style of play will better suit Eriksen compared to the way Conte operates.
He played for Conte and did well after a slow start. Seems like a chill guy, I think he might easily prefer to rejoin us for ease

It's the Express so it's not true but...
Tottenham had scouts watching Serbia winger Filip Kostic as he helped Eintracht Frankfurt win the Europa League this week, and Spurs are now readying a summer bid for the 29-year-old, who is valued at £25m. (Express)

I wouldn't be surprised. I am still hoping he and his family prefer to stay in London, but it's possibly wishful thinking. Eriksen doesn't strike me as a sentimental type.

It's the Express so it's not true but...
Tottenham had scouts watching Serbia winger Filip Kostic as he helped Eintracht Frankfurt win the Europa League this week, and Spurs are now readying a summer bid for the 29-year-old, who is valued at £25m. (Express)
1 year left on his contract, 29 yo, i reckon he will cost around 12 mill and not 25 mill as the article suggests. I think he would be excellent under Conte

Back
Top Bottom