Summer 2022 Transfer Thread.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

When you consider the false start with Nuno, the Chavs are soooo catchable....

Question remains though; is 3rd and a crack at some cups enough to keep Conte interested beyond next season....?

I think (but may be wrong) if Spurs had that sort of season and Levy promised that he could have a similar transfer window next summer too (or even slightly reduced - say a Lloris replacement, CB another RWB, and forward so 4 or 5 incoming ), Conte would be thinking a title challenge might be possible etc ...... he'd stay to make it 2.5 years at Spurs (minimum)

He's not an idiot.

I don't think he expects to catch two of the top 3 teams in the world within two transfer windows.

If we get him the players he wants this summer and strengthen again in Jan I think he stays for another pop the season after.

Hopefully by then this great Liverpool team is over the hill. Overcoming City still seems like a pipedream however.

I in no way suggested he's an idiot; but I maintain that if he doesn't feel he's in a position to challenge for the title in 23/24 he'll get itchy.

For now, I think he's simply backing himself to be a difference maker (like any high grade pro does).

I think (but may be wrong) if Spurs had that sort of season and Levy promised that he could have a similar transfer window next summer too (or even slightly reduced - say a Lloris replacement, CB another RWB, and forward so 4 or 5 incoming ), Conte would be thinking a title challenge might be possible etc ...... he'd stay to make it 2.5 years at Spurs (minimum)

I'd like to think so too..... Like I say, I'd expect him to back himself to get us closer than our resources suggest.

Last edited:
Honest question - how many players routinely play just 10-15 minutes/game, yet score goals on a regular basis?

I'm not arguing for or against selling, but find the criticism of his goals/assist output a bit harsh.

If this site is correct, he played 547 minutes last year (PL only I think). that's basically 6 full games, right? (Where his minutes really that low?) If accurate, 3 goals and an assist over 6 games isn't terrible IMO.

I'm responding to what he's valued at £25m, the original poster said he should be valued higher.

The question is why should he be valued higher if he's few mins...if he was a player Spurs were looking at we wouldn't be expecting to pay more for him so why should we expect to sell him for more?

Minamino makes 7

Not great though is he....

+

- Origi is gone.
- Mane looks like he's off too.
- And Salah looks like he'll leave for free next summer.
- Firmino's influence is fading and he only has a year left too.

The churn is on whether they like it or not and I don't see Jota & Diaz reaching the same levels (in terms of output, consistency AND avoiding injury) as Salah/Mane.

Last edited:
Don't think he's the generational talent he was hyped up to be.....

If he was, Juve would die before letting him go..... Covid financial wobbles or not.

fogueres fogueres ???
If I have not misunderstood DeLight must renew his contract with Juventus but to do so he asks for a lowering of the clause from € 125 million to a lower amount. I think he does not want to be imprisoned and if he is not satisfied with the results he is free to leave. At Juventus everyone is on sale and then reinvested. Historically we have also sold Zidane. We respect the player's wishes. The problem is getting Ramsey away 😂😅

If I have not misunderstood DeLight must renew his contract with Juventus but to do so he asks for a lowering of the clause from € 125 million to a lower amount. I think he does not want to be imprisoned and if he is not satisfied with the results he is free to leave. At Juventus everyone is on sale and then reinvested. Historically we have also sold Zidane. We respect the player's wishes. The problem is getting Ramsey away 😂😅

How much do you think you'd Juve would want for him?

Is he as good as you hoped?

He's not an idiot.

I don't think he expects to catch two of the top 3 teams in the world within two transfer windows.

If we get him the players he wants this summer and strengthen again in Jan I think he stays for another pop the season after.

Hopefully by then this great Liverpool team is over the hill. Overcoming City still seems like a pipedream however.

As long as we keep doing the double over them !

I'm responding to what he's valued at £25m, the original poster said he should be valued higher.

The question is why should he be valued higher if he's few mins...if he was a player Spurs were looking at we wouldn't be expecting to pay more for him so why should we expect to sell him for more?
because....Because he has less mileage on the tires??? :levyeyes:

When you consider the false start with Nuno, the Chavs are soooo catchable....

Question remains though; is 3rd and a crack at some cups enough to keep Conte interested beyond next season....?

There's another way to answer your question.

Conte has earned a few million from his previous management jobs, so didn't have to take the Spurs job, but he did.

He must have known the score - a few decent players, including 2 top strikers, but clearly in need of reinforcements of top class players. And its not like his previous jobs where money was not a problem to buy new players and he was used to starting with a better squad.

So I think he's taken it on the basis that he'll see whether 2 or 3 players bought in January would make a difference.

Roll forward to now - Kulusevski and Bentancur in (and both have made a big difference to the squad) and 4th place and CL confirmed. Surely he must think, that's as good as was ever possible from the time I took this gig.

So lets see if I stay here what's realistic :
1 Levy must provide me with a decent wadge of money to buy new players
2. I want a minimum of 6 new players
3 With that I want to show real progress and put the screws on top 2 places - recognising I can't get there in this summer transfer window.

And the logic is - if he can see real achievement and progress he'll look to see if another year will take him further. And that could happen for a year after that too

Otherwise why did he take the Spurs job in the first place ?

All the mumbling is now saying Arse & City have agreed terms for Jesus now....

Some saying we've put in a late bid to hijack, but at this stage one would assume the rest is down to the player.

Understood. I think it's a fair question, with an answer that is up for debate. He's not getting time at Spurs, but we also finished top 4.

He's only scored 3 goals this season, but based on minutes played, he scored a goal every 180 minutes.

So, I think Levy will/should argue that he just doesn't fit our system, but the production has been fine given how much/little he has played.

He's only 25, and not every player peaks in their mid 20s. Some earlier, some later. Again, not arguing with you, your questions are fair.

Understood. I think it's a fair question, with an answer that is up for debate. He's not getting time at Spurs, but we also finished top 4.

He's only scored 3 goals this season, but based on minutes played, he scored a goal every 180 minutes.

So, I think Levy will/should argue that he just doesn't fit our system, but the production has been fine given how much/little he has played.

He's only 25, and not every player peaks in their mid 20s. Some earlier, some later. Again, not arguing with you, your questions are fair.

Also his value dictates the market, only Ajax who are in for him and they notoriously don't pay big money for their players, had it been Man City he would be valued higher.

Anything more than his current value prices him out of the market.

Back
Top Bottom