Summer 2022 Transfer Thread.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

MW-HB777_notsur_20190110125201_NS.jpg
Indeed - why on earth does anyone think there is even the remotest chance of us signing Rice? People on here are weird. They seem to think footballers are likely products on a shelf in the supermarket, where you just go in and buy the one you want. It doesn't work like that. Obviously.

I think we can safely say the entirety of the 150 million pumped in to the club in the summer isn't going to be used to sign Declan Rice, as brilliant a defensive mid he is.

Players are on 3 weeks holiday break post the internationals - back first week of July.

Fabio will continue to talk to agents to try to line up deals, but players are required to do the medicals and talk to Conte on their role etc.

I wonder if there will be a temporary slowing down of announcements until players return - although some (possibly Spence ?) will be so far down the line they will be completed despite player hols.

Levy as many faults but I’m glad the club has a chairman that wouldn’t ever pay 100k a week to an average ass player like nketiah

Callum Chambers on a 5 year 130kpw deal all those years ago is still my fave........

That and Utd. re-upping Phil Jones on 150kpw after being shit and/or injured throughout all his first contract.

Both were years ago when it was even more money than it's worth today.

Club looking to sell Hojbjerg as well?

This rumour appeared towards the back end of the season. Signing Bentancur and Bissouma means that Conte wanted upgrades in midfield so it will be up to Hojberg if he wants to stay and fight for a place. It's one those where if he stays then great but if a big offer comes in then the club will probably sell and go and sign someone like Mckennie and we will still finish the window strong in that position.

Fabián Ruiz has only 1 year left of his contract with Napoli. Of course, with the addition of Bissouma, another CMF is not exactly a priority right now. 26 years old and adapt in a 2-MF formation, but can also play as an OMF or even out wide.

A really top midfielder and would be an immense addition to any club.

This rumour appeared towards the back end of the season. Signing Bentancur and Bissouma means that Conte wanted upgrades in midfield so it will be up to Hojberg if he wants to stay and fight for a place. It's one those where if he stays then great but if a big offer comes in then the club will probably sell and go and sign someone like Mckennie and we will still finish the window strong in that position.
But if PEH wouldn't want to stay and fight for a place, then why would McKennie? Or are you saying that Biss and McK would be the 'main' two?

(Btw I know it's a squad game, more so this season than ever, but Conte clearly isn't a tinkerer, he will know his best 11, and in key games he will play that best 11 whenever he can, I assume we do all see that).

I don't like the idea of selling Hojbjerg, he's our top performing midfielder for 2 years now, and his availability and professionalism are impeccable.

Without bringing another CM that would be a complete non-starter, as that would leave us with Bissouma, Bentancur, and Skipp who's recovering from a serious injury for two spots.

IF we actually sell him (and I hope we don't), Ruben Neves seems like the obvious replacement, as he has a 2 year deal, is quality, and knows the league.

I don't like the idea of selling Hojbjerg, he's our top performing midfielder for 2 years now, and his availability and professionalism are impeccable.

Without bringing another CM that would be a complete non-starter, as that would leave us with Bissouma, Bentancur, and Skipp who's recovering from a serious injury for two spots.

IF we actually sell him (and I hope we don't), Ruben Neves seems like the obvious replacement, as he has a 2 year deal, is quality, and knows the league.

Of course if Hojberg is sold we will buy a replacement. Conte will want some depth in that position.

It’s incredible to me how a short list of clubs from Portugal and France are a powerhouse of creating top profile footballers.
Porto, Benfica, Lille and shipping a lot of top players to the big clubs
One can also add Ajax. Yes, it's a big club but nowadays it's financially like a mid-table EPL club. But every year it churns out top-class players snapped up by "bigger" clubs.

If there was ever a time to sell Højbjerg, this is it. His game time will only decrease with Bissouma signed and Skipp back, so now would be the time to get max fee for him. Use the funds to invest in a new, up-and-coming talent, or maybe include Sarr in the MF rotation.

Of course that is assuming that Conte feels we can also replace the intangibles that he offers. Else it's a no-brainer.

As I have said before, we should not be afraid to sell our players, as long as we have good scouting in place to replace them. It's what the top Portuguese teams do very successfully, it's what Dortmund does, it's what Lille and Leipzig do. With a proper scouting team in place, we can do it to, if we ever do choose.

Back
Top Bottom