Summer 2022 Transfer Thread.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Why would Lenglet swap Barca's bench for our bench ?

Manager last season (and next season - same guy) doesn't rate him hence little playing time last season. Much more playing time at Barcelona previous 3 seasons.

Plus Barcelona awful financial situation now = offload non core players - opportunity if Cone thinks he can fix the France international problem previously signed for circa 50m.

New opportunity at Spurs playing in CL (= lots of playing time) to resurrect career which is not possible at Barcelona.

IMO of course.

Right now this is what Spurs' 1st team squad looks like (well, I took me the right to include both Richarlison & Lenglet):

GK:
Hugo Lloris
Fraser Forster
Alfie Whiteman
Brendan Austin

LWB:
Ryan Sessegnon
Sergio Reguilon
LCB:
Ben Davies
Clément Lenglet
CCB:
Eric Dier
Joe Rodon
RCB:
Cristian Romero
Davinson Sánchez
Japhet Tanganga
RWB:
Emerson Royal
Matt Doherty
Ivan Perišić

CM:
Oliver Skipp,
Pierre Højbjerg
Pape Matar Sarr
Yves Bissouma
Rodrigo Bentancur
Harry Winks
Tungay Ndombele
Gio Lo Celso,

LWF:
Heung-Min Son
Lucas Moura
Steven Bergwijn
Jack Clarke
Richarlison
CF:
Harry Kane
Troy Parrott
Dane Scarlett
RWF:
Dejan Kulusevski
Bryan Gil

No chance.

Limit of 25 players - in practice due to HG limits might be 23 players

Tanganga is pretty versatile having played RB, LB and CB for us.
He is club trained and HG so I really can't see why we would let him go this season, even on a loan.

Only reason for a loan is that after 3 seasons in first team he's not had a decent run of games so lacks experience.

Difficult decision as he's club trained (and we are very short here as all HG) but only circa 50 appearances in 3 seasons isn't enough playing time, partly due to injuries I know. Tough decision for Fabio/Conte - but either 'guarantee' him playing time or better for both club and player to loan.

Guehi seems like the most interesting option. Don't know how good he is but Palace fans rate him VERY highly.

Maybe with Dier leading the pack he could be good.

Would be very expensive, if they're even willing to sell.

Guehi ex Chelsea, good example of their mis-management of youth.

Sold with a huge sell on clause to Palace. Limited experience at Palace as only one season but great potential.

Beware big fee and non performance after 'one season wonder' if we are unlucky

Wonder if we’ll go for Guehi now, he impressed me a lot at Palace this year and would help us from a HG perspective.

He’ll cost a lot, but we’ve got the money and he’s the right profile to spend big on considering his youth and HG status.

Eriksen doesn’t seem like a goer, but the rest is plausible and honestly likely. I don’t see how anyone would not see that as a massive improvement in both first team quality and depth.

Perisic, Bissouma, and Richarlison are instant impact players that should have very minimal adjustment times. Bissouma and Richarlison have done it in the league at a high level and are the high intensity physical players Conte loves. Perisic has done it everywhere. Won UCL, numerous league titles, scored in WC final, and played/thrived under our manager.

You’d probably prefer a bit of a more known quantity than Spence but considering we need HG players and the RWB market is underwhelming it makes sense. He’s also a natural RWB, played in a 3 at the back system all last season unlike Emerson who is not a tactical fit. Spence had a similar Championship season to Skipp, both making TOTY, and we saw how Skipp adjusted.

Bremer would be another great signing. Clearly has the pace and physicality to play in the PL. The last Serie A defender of the season we signed is working out. Lenglet gives us a left footer who is good in possession, he’s a good option to have.

Overall, the one nitpick is that it would have been nice to get Bastoni or Gvaridol, as they are both better tactical and quality and slide easily into the starting 11 at LCB, but it is what it is, those were always going to be tough deals.

Considering we ended the season with a bench of Winks, Bergwijn, Moura, Gollini, Rodon, Craig, White, Scarlett, and Devine that potential 22 man squad is a massive improvement.

One thing I noticed last season was the frequency Davies seemed to pick up a yellow as well as Romero but we knew that going into getting him. With the 5 man sub rule I think we will see Conte covering any issues with an early defensive yellow collected with direct swaps when it's looking dicey.

The 5 man sub situation is massive and requires a massive squad.

Being able to sub on the likes of Lenglet, Hojbjerg, Sessegnon, Doherty, Richarlison etc really adds so much for an opposition to get stifled with and as you said is a massive leap from when we had Craig, Devine, Scarlett and White as options. We have taken massively progressive steps towards utilising the rule change and it will play a massive part in how our season shapes up I feel.

Wonder if we’ll go for Guehi now, he impressed me a lot at Palace this year and would help us from a HG perspective.

He’ll cost a lot, but we’ve got the money and he’s the right profile to spend big on considering his youth and HG status.

I'd wanna see another year out of him before spending mega.

Thought Max Kilman at Wolves looked good last year too (also HG)...... Had no idea he was 25 already tho... Not exactly a young bud.

Btw we are way over the HG limit now for CL, and probably close to the edge in PL too.

Unless we can start sending players out we may be left in a position where we're paying wages for players ineligible for PL and CL due to squad requirements.
That's what annoys me about this Lenglet deal, in itself it seems no risk, but we now have even less margin.

Agreed but I think strategy is £100m + injection gives us flexibility to but first sell later

We now have 2 months of window open to sell players - possibly 7 players, IMO we will need to sell Rodon, Reguilon, Royal, Winks, Ndombele, Lo Celso and Bergwijn - assuming we sign a total of about 7 players this summer.

You are correct its a risk to sign first and sell later. But probably the only way to get the best possible players in the window as early as we are. Tricky balancing act.

I'd wanna see another year out of him before spending mega.

Thought Max Kilman at Wolves looked good last year too...... Had no idea he was 25 already tho.

Yeah I don’t disagree, but it’s always a fine line waiting for a young player with potential. He could blow up massively and end up at City or Liverpool.

We’re going to have to add a couple of decent HG players at some point soon. Spence, Skipp, Sess, Guehi hopefully gives you a good base to go forward with for the next 5-7 years. Similarly true with Gordon.

Just wondering Guehi was just mentioned

Got it, no I didn’t hear that. He’s been mentioned a few times deep in transfer articles from Gold and similar as an “option”. Just trying to connect the dots with Lenglet seeming like a goer now.

We definitely need HG and the club are definitely thinking that way as evidenced by the Gordon links. Guehi would make sense.

Yeah I don’t disagree, but it’s always a fine line waiting for a young player with potential. He could blow up massively and end up at City or Liverpool.

We’re going to have to add a couple of decent HG players at some point soon. Spence, Skipp, Sess, Guehi hopefully gives you a good base to go forward with for the next 5-7 years. Similarly true with Gordon.

Should have taken better care of KWP.... Such a fail.

Should have taken better care of KWP.... Such a fail.

He be perfect for our current system, but I still think he was too lightweight to play as fullback in a 4 for a club with our aspirations. Southampton are ideal for him. Always was such a smart and in control footballer though.

I remember seeing him live in 2014 against Chelsea in the FA youth cup at WHL and he was so cultured and intelligent for a teenaged footballer. He also probably weighed about 8 stone at the time and was up against Solanke and Abraham who were giant for their age. We won 2-0 that night, great fun. Won’t mention what happened in the second leg though

Back
Top Bottom