Summer Transfer Thread 2023! - Closed (Maybe)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Rate this window out of 10

Results are only viewable after voting.
Let’s unrealistic dream a little …

Osimen!!! Napoli reportedly want 150M Euro. Take the 100M quid Kane fee and throw in Richy - value 60M quid. - and you’re talking 200M Euro - Napoli should be all over it! 100M quid plus Brazil’s No 9!! Let’s get it done!

Gotta love these 1+1=2 simplistic takes 😆

Ps I think you’ve inferred from my original post that we should have bid over the last couple of years.

In fact I’m saying we should have offered him a contract for a couple of years this summer…..

I did indeed... My bad.

Gotta assume it at least crossed our minds at some point his summer....... Previously linked player becomes available for free etc. For whatever reason, Ange can't have been keen.

Can you elaborate, I know very little about Orban.

Anges strikers tend to have very little touches in comparison to the rest of the players on the pitch. Play on the last shoulder and look to score one of the many chances we should ideally be creating for them.

Orbans skills are his finishing ability.

Do you want noise or action ?

Solomon, Vicario, Veliz happened out of nowhere. British journalists were putting out stories that nothing was close with VdV just hours before Romano said it was going down. Most journalists were still tipping Maddison to Newcastle days before he signed with Spurs.

Let's be honest and come to terms that the media doesn't have a clue and are only guessing what our moves are going to be.
Well, failing action, at least some noise would be nice. As I said though the window will be judged at the end and I stand by it being a failure without a starting quality attacker.

That's not what I wrote, a ESL will be reintroduced as the only means to counter the growing threat posed by Saudi. It's a conspiracy, man!

In return, Saudi will receive support from Europe for their WC bid for 2030.

The X Files Remix GIF
I see the logic but wouldn’t it be the federations who need to support their bjd and they’re the same ones who are against the ESL?

Ange joined 1st July, Zaha went 24th July to Galatasary.

There was time (albeit it would have been tight) and I imagine we were talking about targets for a few weeks before Ange even joined.

As a low cost (from a fee perspective) gamble on a player that seems to fit Ange’s prototype for a wide player, surprised we appear not to have had a sniff.
We’d started buying Maddison before Ange arrived

View: https://x.com/deadlinedaylive/status/1691806988362006971?s=46&t=DK3x3JffKkqwqcsQdIeO_A

That’s what? Approx €250m less ambitious than our worst rivals in the last 5 years? Despite having the same revenue or better and already having the best #9 in the world at your club, begging to be supported to win trophies?

Levy needs to leave this football club

Serious question What's spending really matter? Woolwich dont seem to have won any titles after all that spending. We don't need crazy spending, we better scouting. FFS we spent 63m on Ndombele - at the time he was I think the 6th most expensive siding in PL history and that helped us absolutely none.

Serious question What's spending really matter? Woolwich dont seem to have won any titles after all that spending. We don't need crazy spending, we better scouting. FFS we spent 63m on Ndombele - at the time he was I think the 6th most expensive siding in PL history and that helped us absolutely none.
It takes both. And increasingly it also takes strategic and opportunistic sales to keep the books in order.

And of course it also takes excellent tactically astute management.

And fit and harmony amongst all of the above.

It's a fucking brutal league, that's why we love it.

Man U: Osimhen says no.
Saudis: Osimhen says no.
Osimhen signed new deal with Napoli

Even if the deal you describe could be struck; why would Osimen refuse the kind of money those clubs would have been offering, then leave a currently succeeding project only to come here.........?
Because it’s North London my good sir - Not Manchester or the desert. As for his new contract, there is a release clause and surely Osimen knows that Mt Vesuvius could blow him sky high at any moment living in Naples - not a great situation.

Anyway why wouldn’t he want Spurs. We have the best fans, stadium and training facilities in the world. Plus to get it over the line, we can throw in backstage passes for Beyoncé.

What’s the point in scouting for targets like Tapsoba or Eze if you aren’t ambitious enough to go and get them?

Based on reports our scouts, data modellers, even Ange, all really liked Tapsoba but we aren’t going to bring him in.

Apart from "noise" about Orban, Eze, Vlahovic and (LOL) Lukaku, you mean?
Eze isn’t noise it’s just bollocks, it’s like us approaching Villa for Watkins or Leverkusen for Tapsoba, sure they’d sell but only for a gigantic fee

Lukaku may not even be as good as Alejo Veliz at this stage in his career, let alone Richarlison

Orban isn’t a starting quality attacker. That’s kind of what my whole argument rests on. He’s a 21 year old with 1 year of Belgian League experience who’s way younger and more raw than a normal 21 year old.

Well, failing action, at least some noise would be nice. As I said though the window will be judged at the end and I stand by it being a failure without a starting quality attacker.

I 100% on that. I think we definitely need an impact attacker. I don't think it has to be a true #9 though. I'm open to a winger or even another attacking mid.

Anges strikers tend to have very little touches in comparison to the rest of the players on the pitch. Play on the last shoulder and look to score one of the many chances we should ideally be creating for them.

Orbans skills are his finishing ability.

For this same very reason it's bogus to be shitting all over Rich before these "many chances" start to materialise.

After an amount of games, if he's pissing away sitter after sitter then fine; crank up the criticism, but people 'go' so fucking early about literally everything!

#CrystalBollocks

Last edited:
Eze isn’t noise it’s just bollocks,

Aaaah, so there's different kinds of "noise" now? ........And presumably you get to decide on the fly how each is defined? Nice........... : P

Lukaku may not even be as good as Alejo Veliz at this stage in his career, let alone Richarlison

Orban isn’t a starting quality attacker. That’s kind of what my whole argument rests on. He’s a 21 year old with 1 year of Belgian League experience who’s way younger and more raw than a normal 21 year old.

Your shifting the goalposts into a critique of individual players is besides the point.

You complained that there'd been "zero noise" about attackers..... .That simply wasn't true.

How do you feel about this window?

I think "moderately successful" is the phrase that comes to mind. Maddison is an excellent signing and a midfield 3 with Bissouma and Bentancur is an exciting prospect. Vicario wasn't our first choice but still promises to be a good goalkeeper. Van der Ven adds some pace to our back-line. We've had windows before where we've spent a lot of money on players who haven't made a dent on the first team (last summer and the summer of 07 are the ones that spring to mind) but in this one we've bought players that will improve weak areas of the team and they're also players that are in line with what the manager wants.

Sadly, this improvement in our recruitment has been too little, too late for Harry Kane. I can't fault the deal we negotiated for him. We secured a record transfer fee for a player with only one year left on his contract and we've sold him to a club outside the Premier League. It's a tragedy that we won't get to see him play in our new Postecoglou team but it is what it is. Ultimately, it's in the club's best interest that the Kane situation has finally been resolved.

I applaud the club's reluctance to reinvest the Kane money on another striker straight away. It's more important that we focus on improving the defence and getting goals from other areas of the team. There is no such thing as a replacement for Harry Kane. Maddison is the closest thing we have and we'll be able to do a much better job of signing another striker when we've got a better idea of the type of striker that will fit in with Postecoglou's team rather than buying one in a panic and hoping it works out.

Still a lot of players that need to be moved on. I think we should do the decent thing and release Lloris from his contract. He has served the club as captain and distinguished player for many years and deserves better than the Departure Lounge. It's shameful to try and scrooge out a transfer fee for him.

I'll be generous and give this window a 7. There is more work to be done but for the first time in years the club seems to be moving in the right direction.

Eze isn’t noise it’s just bollocks, it’s like us approaching Villa for Watkins or Leverkusen for Tapsoba, sure they’d sell but only for a gigantic fee

I agree but at the money wanted for him surely it's worth a punt?

As pointed out resale on him would still be decent in a couple of years.

So you think the ultimate aim for the Saudis is to to somehow have their clubs infiltrate the European game somehow?

That’s not going to be easy. Football isn’t like golf. You can’t just buy 100 footballers and own the game.
I think it’s very much like golf. Most clubs outside the PL are bleeding money and Saudi billions offered for CL participation would most likely be received warmly. Everything’s for sale.

Back
Top Bottom