Summer Transfer Thread 2023! - Closed (Maybe)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Rate this window out of 10

Results are only viewable after voting.
Can you explain the conspiracy and who’s conspiring with who to achieve what?

Saudi would need UEFA’s help to get a WC. UEFA are opposed to a ESL. It rivals their CL.

What has Saudis got to do with a ESL? Join the dots for me?

In all fairness the whore-ish tendencies of both FIFA & UEFA make it perfectly plausible that they'd go for the 'now dollar' now and worry about the 'later dollar' later.

Apparently Saudi have already started making overtures to UEFA regarding making them 'honorary' participants in the CL........ Once in the CL and their WC is signed and sealed (which seems inevitable) then there's nothing to stop them joining the plans - alongside key agitators like Juve & Barca - for any break-away into a ESL....... In fact, one would assume them to be mora than keen to part (or fully!) fund such a project.

Last edited:

Ah, he looks like he could become one. The likes of Scamacca, Daka struggled, but may have done better elsewhere, might go on to do better elsewhere. United deemed Antony worth spending 90m on and he looks like a 20m player.. under Pep he'd probably look like a 50m player. Orban looks like a guy who could be 70m in a few years if he goes to Lille or Eintracht Frankfurt. Scouting people know more than we do, but a lot of buying players from smaller leagues is throwing shit at the wall and seeing what sticks.
Nice!!

This already a decent summary of how I see it before watching the games.

In all fairness the whore-ish tendencies of both FIFA & UEFA make it perfectly plausible that they'd go for the 'now dollar' now and worry about the 'later dollar' later.

Apparently Saudi have already started making overture to UEFA regarding making them 'honorary' participants in the CL........ Once in and their WC is signed and sealed (which seems inevitable) then there's nothing to stop them joining the plans - alongside key agitators like Juve & Barca - for any break-away into a ESL....... In fact, one would assume them to be mora than keen to part (or fully!) fund such a project.
Dave Kitson told me exactly that re: CL. English sides are terrified and are pushing back

They almost certainly have a master plan here and creating a standalone league is not the final outcome

Question……

Bearing in mind the sort of winger Ange likes, did we miss a trick not throwing an offer at Zaha for a couple of years?

There aren’t many better one on one wide players in the league and it’s a low risk on a free too.

I’d have been in favour of it.

Buying players for Ange before he even joined would have been one hell of a "trick".........

However; if Ange wanted him bad enough we could have pressumably signed him this summer for free.

To be frank it’s an absolute joke that there’s been zero noise on an attacking incoming after we’ve sold our best striker of the past 50 years for £100m.

Yes I know we need to shed squad numbers etc but this is not something we should just accept lying down, if there isn’t a starting XI quality attacker brought in before the end of the window then Levy has failed us completely and utterly and the window is a failure.

The only issue is Son/Kulu seem to fit the role of Ange wingers like two squares in round holes.

So you think they have no chance to adapt given a run of matches?

Ange is very specific in what he wants from his players in their positions. Seems weird he'd intentionally hurt himself and the club while forcing players into a role if he didn't think he could succeed there.

They can't be a part of the CL, so it stands to reason that the Super League would rival the CL in interest if the biggest clubs were a part of it. Need proof - look what they did with LIV Golf. Started buying all the best players, got TV deals, and then essentially bought the PGA a year later. The Saudi's will buy as much talent as they can and then make the argument that they are one of the best leagues in the world. Then we'd likely see Al-Hilal and Al-Nassar in the SL

So you think the ultimate aim for the Saudis is to to somehow have their clubs infiltrate the European game somehow?

That’s not going to be easy. Football isn’t like golf. You can’t just buy 100 footballers and own the game.

Dave Kitson told me exactly that re: CL. English sides are terrified and are pushing back

They almost certainly have a master plan here and creating a standalone league is not the final outcome
The Premier League and Bundesliga need to be ready to leave and start their own competitor if that happens.

It's like three fucking clubs on the continent driving all this bullshit. Cut them out. European football can survive without Real Madrid if it has to.

That isn't an argument for another young guy who might develop though, that is an argument for bringing in a proven striker who can compete and take the jersey. So back to Vlahovic in other words.
Let’s unrealistic dream a little …

Osimen!!! Napoli reportedly want 150M Euro. Take the 100M quid Kane fee and throw in Richy - value 60M quid. - and you’re talking 200M Euro - Napoli should be all over it! 100M quid plus Brazil’s No 9!! Let’s get it done!

So you think the ultimate aim for the Saudis is to to somehow have their clubs infiltrate the European game somehow?

That’s not going to be easy. Football isn’t like golf. You can’t just buy 100 footballers and own the game.
No, but I think they will push a super league as an alternative to the champions league.

To be frank it’s an absolute joke that there’s been zero noise on an attacking incoming after we’ve sold our best striker of the past 50 years for £100m.

Apart from "noise" about Orban, Eze, Vlahovic and (LOL) Lukaku, you mean?

Buying players for Ange before he even joined would have been one hell of a "trick".........

However; if Ange wanted him bad enough we could have pressumably signed him this summer for free.
Ange joined 1st July, Zaha went 24th July to Galatasary.

There was time (albeit it would have been tight) and I imagine we were talking about targets for a few weeks before Ange even joined.

As a low cost (from a fee perspective) gamble on a player that seems to fit Ange’s prototype for a wide player, surprised we appear not to have had a sniff.

Can you explain the conspiracy and who’s conspiring with who to achieve what?

Saudi would need UEFA’s help to get a WC. UEFA are opposed to a ESL. It rivals their CL.

What has Saudis got to do with a ESL? Join the dots for me?

The top European should be hostile to this New Kid on the Block but they're not, indeed they're really happy to do business with them.

Contrast that with the hostility towards LIV Golf from the established authorities, at least initially anyway before they were forced to conclude that it wasn't going away anytime soon and a deal had to be struck.

I'm sure the European clubs will use this threat as justification for creation of a formal ESL. They'll probably involve UEFA in it's formation (as well as throw some cash their way) whilst Saudi promise to back off in exchange of European support of their WC bid.

It's just my theory but it makes sense. Basically it's yet another way in which fotbal had been taken away from the most important people: the fans, REAL fans not this glory-hunting fucks in Africa or Asia nor North America.

Ps I think you’ve inferred from my original post that we should have bid over the last couple of years.

In fact I’m saying we should have offered him a contract for a couple of years this summer…..

However; if Ange wanted him bad enough we could have pressumably signed him this summer for free

Still nothing even reported as happening since Kane offer accepted.

Almost as if the bank balance has been levelled out and the "team" have finished work for another window, isn't it?

There's obviously very little leaking now for the journo's to report on.

Yes I know we need to shed squad numbers etc but this is not something we should just accept lying down, if there isn’t a starting XI quality attacker brought in before the end of the window then Levy has failed us completely and utterly and the window is a failure.

Do you want noise or action ?

Solomon, Vicario, Veliz happened out of nowhere. British journalists were putting out stories that nothing was close with VdV just hours before Romano said it was going down. Most journalists were still tipping Maddison to Newcastle days before he signed with Spurs.

Let's be honest and come to terms that the media doesn't have a clue and are only guessing what our moves are going to be.

Let’s unrealistic dream a little …

Osimen!!! Napoli reportedly want 150M Euro. Take the 100M quid Kane fee and throw in Richy - value 60M quid. - and you’re talking 200M Euro - Napoli should be all over it! 100M quid plus Brazil’s No 9!! Let’s get it done!

Man U: Osimhen says no.
Saudis: Osimhen says no.
Osimhen signed new deal with Napoli

Even if the deal you describe could be struck; why would Osimen refuse the kind of money those clubs would have been offering, then leave a currently succeeding project only to come here.........?

If we end the window with Dier and Sanchez as our back up CB’s and no alternative to Richarlison up front, you might as well tie one arm behind Ange’s back because that’s what you are effectively doing.

Back
Top Bottom