Summer Transfer Thread 2023! - Closed (Maybe)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Rate this window out of 10

Results are only viewable after voting.

View: https://x.com/fabrizioromano/status/1696780540869849405?s=46&t=fZmfnUUf9InVqez54ldyKg

Given our roster situation and that he’s only 20 and won’t count against the registered players list. This makes sense

For sure it would be great to get a talent like Fati in. But on a one-year loan only? Ange is trying to build a playing philosophy here, so you would think he would want players that will be around in years 2 and beyond. I don't see how getting Fati in for one year aligns with that, unless we there's a purchase option included.

After tonight's debacle I'm at least excited that we'll finally unleash some of that FFP £450million war chest we've accumulated and bring in some real talent for Ange to work with these next few days.

Hold on tight guys, it's gonna be a bumpy ride
I genuinely wonder why you even post in this thread? Should you be in the Brendan Rodgers and clement Lenglet threads evaluating their performances so far this season?

I dont know much of him as a player but if we dont have an option we're just doing the development of the player for another club. In a rebuild that is just a waste of time. Just kicking the can down the road because we've left half our business until the last 3 days.
If there's a player available in the market on loan who is far better than any realistic prospects you could target on a permanent deal, it makes sense even without an option to secure the right personnel to fit the manager's vision. End of the day, we are still an early season hype job for most, if we actually have a successful season playing champagne football under Ange I would have thought that next Summer it will be easier to identify targets who might be more willing to sign with us to be part of the system.

Fati in the league 2022/23

Squad: 37,
Starting eleven: 12,
Substituted on: 24,
On the bench: 1,
Suspended: 0

1380 mins played, average of 37 mins per game

He clearly didn't play much last season

Loads of talk for ok players we don't really need that fall in to the category of last night's starting 11. No talk of getting players that the squad actually needs to improve it. All very samey samey. We've made one outstanding signing that covers the loss of a club legend and that's it really. We've improved two positions and considering we finished 8th last year and all above have also improved its not really enough.

About 200k a week apparently, yeah.
If we're paying all of Ansu Fati's £200k salary, then I suspect Levy will want to get Ivan Perisic's £178k wages off the books.

Ansu Fati primarily plays as a LW, so Captain Son would play some LW & rotate with Richarlison at CF. In other words, three players rotating for the LW & CF spots.

Given how few matches we have after last night's clusterfuck, I can't imagine Levy wanting to pay Perisic's salary for the occasional 10 minute cameo off the bench.

Of course of all these players, Perisic still has the best delivery.

Ivan Perisic

If there's a player available in the market on loan who is far better than any realistic prospects you could target on a permanent deal, it makes sense even without an option to secure the right personnel to fit the manager's vision. End of the day, we are still an early season hype job for most, if we actually have a successful season playing champagne football under Ange I would have thought that next Summer it will be easier to identify targets who might be more willing to sign with us to be part of the system.
Good post!

Unless they are 100% sure on the long term of a player they are bringing in, we are in a good situation for loans.

Means we don’t get stuck with players if they don’t work out.

You probably watched him before his injury, he had 0.3 successful dribbles per match last season, and even that with a 50% success rate.
That's per game not per 90 mins. He averaged 1.15 dribbled per 90.

50% is a good success rate, for comparison, Last season ,Martinelli's success rate was 45%, Grealish's was 43% and Mitoma's was 44%.

The highest success rate for a Att Mid or Winger in the top 5 leagues (that played at least 1350 minutes) last season was 66%.

If we're paying all of Ansu Fati's £200k salary, then I suspect Levy will want to get Ivan Perisic's £178k wages off the books.

Ansu Fati primarily plays as a LW, so Captain Son would play some LW & rotate with Richarlison at CF. In other words, three players rotating for the LW & CF spots.

Given how few matches we have after last night's clusterfuck, I can't imagine Levy wanting to pay Perisic's salary for the occasional 10 minute cameo off the bench.

Of course of all these players, Perisic still has the best delivery.

Ivan Perisic

Perisic killed us last night.

He got the assist but everything else seemed to go wrong for him.

May not be true but Davinson, PEH and Perisic all played like players that aren’t sure they are going to be here this season

That's per game not per 90 mins. He averaged 1.15 dribbled per 90.

50% is a good success rate, for comparison, Last season ,Martinelli's success rate was 45%, Grealish's was 43% and Mitoma's was 44%.

The highest success rate for a Att Mid or Winger in the top 5 leagues (that played at least 1350 minutes) last season was 66%.
1.15 dribbles per 90 is not good. It's about half of Kulu's.

Good post!

Unless they are 100% sure on the long term of a player they are bringing in, we are in a good situation for loans.

Means we don’t get stuck with players if they don’t work out.
Not really.

The clause all clubs want is an option to buy at an agreed price.

If Ansu Fati has a great season and we have no agreed purchase price, then Barca reap the benefits when he returns to them.

If he has a rubbish season, then we simply don't exercise the option to buy.

Obligations to buy are different. They're just a ruse to delay paying the permanent transfer fee.

Perisic killed us last night.

He got the assist but everything else seemed to go wrong for him.

May not be true but Davinson, PEH and Perisic all played like players that aren’t sure they are going to be here this season
You play to the level of your teammates. Play him with better players around him (particularly at LB) and he'll be better, as he has been in the league.

I think we've tried that short term approach with Mourinho and Conte. The top 4 finish we had under Conte we didnt subsequently take advantange. I think the only way we can get success is building from the ground up, sticking plasters and short term deals will just lead to loads more to do next summer as well. Besides i'd say a right sided player a centre forward, a centre back and even another midfielder having watched Lo Celso, Hojbjerg and Skipp last night were more of a priority than another left sided player. It may free up Son but we have that option anyway with Richarlison, Perisic or Solomon on the left. Makes Solomon look like a completely pointless incoming already.

We're playing max 45 games this season, no excuse to trim the squad down now and the players should be under no illusion that game time will be even more limited this season.

Back
Top Bottom