Summer Transfer Thread 2023! - Closed (Maybe)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Rate this window out of 10

Results are only viewable after voting.
We shouldn't even have entertained the idea of selling a striker of Harry Kane's calibre without having a proven, high quality replacement already lined up.
It's shambolic. NO other top club behaves in such a small time, pathetic, disgraceful manner.
The fan's are being taken for mugs once again.
We should not be shocked by this, the club is and has been mismanaged for years.
But if we want a golf course built, that will be no problem at all priorities.

Why wouldn't we when it's a tough game in a competition we need to win? Vicario doesn't need a rest like an outfield player might? It's a massive mistake to play your 2nd GK I'm a game like this just because other teams do
No, pal. The mistake ain't starting Big Frase, who had a pretty decent game up to them pens. Heck, he's the reason we even made it to that friggin shootout!

But what Ange shoulda done is bring on Gugli for the pens. Woulda given them Fulham takers something to think about.

And, obviously, not asking Davs to take one would've helped too. I know he's taken and scored pens in the past, but you had to be blind or stupid to give him the chance last night after the game he had.

Having Davs start and go with a CM trident of Skippy - Hoj - GLC was a joke too.

Eff the Big Fella saying they deserved a chance and he had to see what they got...sod that. If he doesn't know by now that some of them dudes are not at the level, them God help him...

When you look at our squad and then look at Ange and how he wants to play you kind of left with the below:

Good

Bentancur
Bissouma
Maddison
Udogie
Porro
Sarr
Vacario
Kulusevski
VDV
Romero

Needed but maybe not long term

Son
Richarlison
Royal
Forster
Solomon

Squad depth but need upgrade

Perisic
Skipp
Hojbjerg
Sanchez
Davies
Lo Celso

Just need to go

Dier
Tanganga
Lloris
Ndombele
Sessengnon
Bryan Gil
Spence
Regulion
White

So around 10:15 players we really could starting looking at selling and replacing.

Looking back, it’s interesting how reminiscent our squad is to when Pochettino took over, especially in terms of sales. In his first three windows, we cleared out a number of players who didn’t fit the system, failed signings, youth players who never kicked on, players with attitude issues, and players it just became obvious weren’t going to be good enough. A lot of those players were pretty decent, but all of them were sales that needed to happen and I think we’re about to go through that process again over the next two windows.

Dawson, Sigurdsson, Lennon, Kaboul, Adebayor, and Chadli we’re all solid or very good players in their time here, but just clearly didn’t fit the system or weren’t quite good enough and had to go, I think we’ll see the same with PEH, Dier, Perisic, Sanchez, Forster, Lloris, and Davies. Moura already gone.

We had to clear out a number of failed signings in Soldado, Paulinho, Holtby, Chiriches, Capoue, Stambouli. Very likely Ndombele, GLC, Sess, Reguilon, Gil, Spence and Rodon will be gone by next summer.

Our squad then was cluttered with a number of youth players who had made the first team but weren’t really capable of playing for a club trying to compete at the top of the table like Livermore, Mason, Naughton, Townsend, Pritchard, and Carroll. Winks has already gone and I think Tanganga, White, Parrott, Whiteman/Austin will all be following shortly after.

Unfortunately we probably won’t get everyone out that we want this window, but I’d predict by the end of next summer, we’ll only have a handful of players who were here as recently as the Mourinho era. I wouldn’t even be shocked if they club looked to sell Son next summer while he still has value.

The Ange era is coalescing around Vicario, Romero, VDV, Porro, Udogie, Bissouma, Sarr, Maddison, and maybe Richarlison and Kulusevski if their form picks up. Everything else is a moving piece and others will have to earn their spot or be replaced in the rebuild.
Brilliant post.

Anyone who thinks we're going to sign 3 players in the next 2 days needs to give their head a wobble.

Martin Luther King Jr Mlk GIF by Identity

Not entirely accurate as we, begrudgingly, need to add Kulu and Porro at what, £50m+?
No.
1. They were here last season and counted for.
2. We finished 8th last season, club with ambition to win cups and top 4 needs more players, where is Kane replacement?
Dier, Sanchez, Tanaganga, Regulion, Rodon and even Davies are defenders not good enough at this club replaced so far by one player in VDV, not enough done in this department. We need at least one more CD.
3. Why not spend like a top 6 EPL club? Check Manu, city, chelsea, woolwich, liverpool.
4. Back the manager.
5. Nothing will change until levy and enic pack and go. Trust me.

Back
Top Bottom