Summer Transfer Thread 2023! - Closed (Maybe)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Rate this window out of 10

Results are only viewable after voting.
It's not that mind boggling. If he moves to City next year on a free, wins 2 PL titles and two cups, he'll be remembered more for being the PL top scorer. In ten years time he'll be introduced/branded as the all-time PL scorer. Trophies are obviously important to the legacy of a player/team/coach, but all-time scorer in a league is a singular achievement much greater than what any individual contributes to a title win. Only exceptions maybe Maradonna '86, Suarez if Liverpool had won in '14. A major trophy win will be a monkey off his back to be sure.

It's better for him to wait it out next year, he could literally move to any team on the planet in 12 months, even Real as well which is why I don't think he'd be in a hurry to move this Summer.

Wonder if Pep walks away if they do the treble? So might have someone else in charge come next summer.
Ah, hard to know. When he has the team/squad in such good order, and a CL win taking the edge off future big games for those City players, wouldn't be surprised if he saw another CL win on the cards in the next season or two. I think he does another 2/3 years to be honest. But you'd never know.

Who can we sign to play up front if Kane leaves to Real?

Man United, Chelsea, Bayern all hunting a top CF too, and they have bigger pull and more money than us.
Ivan Toney maybe.. pencil Richarlison in as your 9 until the new year. Bring in another who can pla wide or through the middle. Openda, Gouri, Thuram, J David

Any preferences out of the 4 you just mentioned?
Toney is quality but is his ceiling that high? Also will he get back to his previous level after so much time off?
Ah, hard to say when you're not watching them closely I guess. I've always liked Gouiri but haven't seen him much this year and you sense he's a bit lax. He has a bit of that Benzema quality and touch, but not the physicality or natural finishing ability. J David is apparently very good but I've never seen him play well over a full game, though don't see him much. Watched Lens yesterday and Openda was really good, but haven't seen enough of him. The club should have people who know these players inside out and be able to decide which are the best fit for the league or new manager.. recent transfer business suggests this might not be the case though.

Thuram I'd have few doubts would be a good signing, but on a free transfer there'll be lots of good clubs after him. And then you have to take into account what manger are we bringing in, and what does he want from a forward or winger. Toney would be a great signing imo.. tough to transition away from Kane, but Toney is a great competitor, good technically and a good goalscorer. Won't ever match Kane at his very best but he'll give you a high level of centre forward play.

If it’s £100m then he is off. Means he won’t end up in the prem at a rival club and we have some money to invest unlike end of next season when we will have zero.

Brutally sad though, in my lifetime maybe one or two more talented like Gazza or Modric but none of that ability level lasting this long. I wasn’t around for Glenn Hoddle to see an equal

We had that much plus fifty to "invest" last season, and how did that end?

There is no way 100 million is going to replace a player like Kane, he's a one off twenty odd goal minimum a season striker.

Look at United, if they had a goalscorer like Kane they would challenge City, likewise Chelsea, and possibly Newcastle (look what happened when Shearer went there and what happened to Blackburn)?

Brentford will struggle next season without Toney and look at what happened to Everton without a goalscorer.

If proof were needed i believe i am correct in that we collected forty two points this season as a direct result of Kane's goals.

One hundred million will buy two decent players, but never a Kane replacement.

I'd sooner worse case scenario, Ange came in, Kane see's out his contract and then we look next Summer.

In real terms a hundred million isn't big money in football nowadays is it, a whole N'Dombele and Lo Celso?

Last edited:
I legitimately believe Levy would take £60-70m off Real or Bayern just to guarantee Kane doesn't improve a rival for the remainder of his peak but I don't think any amount of money would tempt him out the country. A CL or La Liga medal would be nice but if he beats shearers record his name will go down as the greatest ever scorer of goals this country has produced.

I legitimately believe that you are on crack....

Who can we sign to play up front if Kane leaves to Real?

Man United, Chelsea, Bayern all hunting a top CF too, and they have bigger pull and more money than us.
The only #9 I’d be ok with going like for like is Kolo Muani

He’d cost as much or more than Kane.

Maybe you leave Richy as #9 and get 2 rapid wing forwards on either side.

Tbh the idea of this club under Levy’s financial model trying to replace Kane is a big big concern

Fuck me. The cost of putting Furuhashi on a stadium replica shirt is not to be laughed @. At £1.50 a letter….blimey.

( whisper this one. But when I first looked I thought it said Furrygashi 😉 )

Celtic have a CB who looks good on the ball.

Carter-Vickers He has won back to back league titles. Always in the SPFA team of the season. Hopefully someone has been scouting him. I am sure I saw him somewhere before ?
Cheaper than Richarlison, he uses Kyogo anyway. I remember the longest name ever Vengenoor of Hesselink if My memory serves me right.

I legitimately believe that you are on crack....
I mean it's 2023 buddy if you're not on crack you're the odd one out. Maybe you'd like to expand on this statement so as to make it make sense; then again, I have found conversing with crack heads to be a bit like pissing in the wind so whatever suits.
I worry for anyone that genuinely thinks that he cares more about a scoring record than he does winning trophies

Mind boggling thought process
Except he goes on about it literally all the time, and it's legacy that last much longer than being part of a cup winning side. I'm sure he wants a couple winners medals when he hangs up his boots but I'd bet both testicles if the only offers he gets this summer come from abroad he will see out his contract and sign for Utd, City or maybe even Pool on a free next summer.

Back
Top Bottom