Summer Transfer Thread 2023! - Closed (Maybe)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Rate this window out of 10

Results are only viewable after voting.
What was going on that season that he was able to play 90mins so often and was he dominating for 90 mins or hiding for large sections of games?

If he can be motivated to get fit and dominate for 90mins, he's the level of #6 that we could never afford or attract without CL.

Can and Could are lifting heavy weights in that sentence tho.

He was more often (and most effective) as an 8 at Lyon, with Aouar as the other 8 and either Tousart or Cheikh as the 6 pivot. He saw plenty of ball in games, averaged 57 passes a game, 90% completion despite being a very incisive/creative passer (7 assists from midfield), and very pressure resistant. Rudimentary stats but give you an basic idea.

He was more often (and most effective) as an 8 at Lyon, with Aouar as the other 8 and either Tousart or Cheikh as the 6 pivot. He saw plenty of ball in games, averaged 57 passes a game, 90% completion despite being a very incisive/creative passer (7 assists from midfield), and very pressure resistant. Rudimentary stats but give you an basic idea.

But at Spurs he played 90 mins in his first 2 PL games for Poch in August but always subbed by Poch in every game before Poch sacked in November. https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/tan...19&verein=&liga=&wettbewerb=&pos=&trainer_id=

And in the first 2 games he did play 90 mins he looked knackered.

So regardless of how he did in the far less frenetic French League, at no time has he looked like coping with 90 mins in PL - he only played 90 mins in just 9 PL games in the 3 seasons he was at Spurs.

Numerous times he was just ambling round the pitch seemingly unable to run - just looked totally unfit. Nothing to do with the manager at the time, just wouldn't or couldn't put the effort in.

And from his season at Napoli it looks like the manager found the same - hence most of his appearances being fir circa 20 mins off the bench.

I'm all for players being given a chance, but its very unlikely he'll change in pre-season, and if he stays I fear it will simply be because no other club will take him even on loan paying his wages etc and nor is he attractive to buy. If someone happy to take him with a minimum cost to Spurs (eg not paying up 100% of his wages for remaining contract), I suspect that's our best option to get rid of.

Yeah, but the commercial deals they will set him up will be in the 10s, if not 100s of millions. Beckham's total compensation (including commercial) came out to about $250 million when he joined LA Galaxy and that was 15 years ago when football wasn't even that popular in the States. I wouldn't be surprised if Leo, a household name even in the States, got something similar, if not more.
Estimated value for the 2 1/2 years I saw somewhere was 150-200 mil. So 2 1/2 years for what he could have made in 6 months in Saudi Arabia.

If we want to make a challenge for the title, we need to find 30 additional goals (in the EPL) per season. The only time we got close to that was when Dele, Eriksen, Kane & Son were all contributing double digit goals over the season.

Our squad simply doesn't have the goals in it to compete on that level; hence why Mourinho and Conte both opted for defensive styles - If I can't score the goals, I'll stop letting them in.

So, our ambition is top 4, and an average 70 goals we score is typically enough to get into that range.

Our main issue is of course our defence. Typically, you would want to concede <40 goals over the season for a top 4 place. Of course, our 63 this season was an embarrassment.

If we are spending money this summer, it must be on a top class keeper and a center back who will lead the squad.

Big clear out. Will it be the biggest in recent times ?
poop GIF

Spurs are the Fat Bastard of football

5 players Ange must bring to Tottenham

Even the thought of signing Meslier scares me
:ange-facepalm2:
Leeds is resigned to losing the 23 year-old after its relegation to the EFL Championship, but the former Lorient man won’t come cheap, with the likes of Chelsea and Manchester United reportedly interested.

What utter drivel. He was hopeless last season and dropped, he’s the sort of player that’s so bad he would see us in the bottom half. The only keeper in the PL worse than Lloris last season

Wondering if Ange might want to look at him as a 6. Has the ability to cut through pressure so easily.

Either that or one of the 8's. Looks like we will need 4 of those as Ange likes to change his midfield at the 70min mark to keep things fresh.

Bissouma is another interesting one for this, is he 6 or 8 now?

Everything I read about NDomele suggests he's a guy who has always struggled with motivation and fitness. His talent is unquestionable, but he doesn't have the drive to be a top athlete - which is what outfield players have to be in the modern era.

To be fair to the club, no-one could have forseen that the motivation and drive he demonstrated before his big move wasn't going to be sustained. However, if history points to the future, then it was always a strong possibility...

Did anyone see how good Rice and Amrabat were yesterday? Obviously Rice ain't happening but I don't see why we can't make a move for Amrabat, sure he won't be cheap and will probably need some sweet talking given we've got 0 European football but he'd instantly be our best midfielder and by a distance that would really elevate our play.
Rice was pretty crap in the final.

But at Spurs he played 90 mins in his first 2 PL games for Poch in August but always subbed by Poch in every game before Poch sacked in November. https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/tan...19&verein=&liga=&wettbewerb=&pos=&trainer_id=

And in the first 2 games he did play 90 mins he looked knackered.

So regardless of how he did in the far less frenetic French League, at no time has he looked like coping with 90 mins in PL - he only played 90 mins in just 9 PL games in the 3 seasons he was at Spurs.

Numerous times he was just ambling round the pitch seemingly unable to run - just looked totally unfit. Nothing to do with the manager at the time, just wouldn't or couldn't put the effort in.

And from his season at Napoli it looks like the manager found the same - hence most of his appearances being fir circa 20 mins off the bench.

I'm all for players being given a chance, but its very unlikely he'll change in pre-season, and if he stays I fear it will simply be because no other club will take him even on loan paying his wages etc and nor is he attractive to buy. If someone happy to take him with a minimum cost to Spurs (eg not paying up 100% of his wages for remaining contract), I suspect that's our best option to get rid of.
With 5 subs a 60 minute player isn't the end of the world anymore.

How is Raya worth £40m? The world has gone mad! Pope was £12m
Think that we will be looking elsewhere, maybe Sevilla ?

He isn't. Mainly because he has a year left on his contract. Which is why if we get him, it won't be anywhere near that fee.

They've just signed his replacement. So he'll be moving.

Does anyone know anything about the last two: Devlin (Hearts) or Ito(Stuttgart) or are these just geographic links?
Based on some googling, Ito is a left footed CB He stands 1,88 meters tall and is 24 years old.

I cannot claim to have watched much Stuttgart however. But I know that they had a collectively rough year and only stayed up through the play offs.

Back
Top Bottom