Summer Transfer thread - 2024

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Not sure how reliable but Voetbal Krant a Belgian news publication are saying that we want Kōki Machida, a left footed quick centreback this summer

Not sure how reliable but Voetbal Krant a Belgian news publication are saying that we want Kōki Machida, a left footed quick centreback this summer
It's why I'm not expecting much next season no offence but the links are hardly inspiring thus far

It's why I'm not expecting much next season no offence but the links are hardly inspiring thus far

Whats wrong with that Link?

Finding a fast, ambitious LCB that can play LB but won’t be kicking up a fuss if they have to earn it?

Sounds good to me.

We could spend 80m on Branthwaite but he can’t play LB and that’s most of our budget gone on a player fighting for minutes with Micky VDV.

Tbf he's done well to get 4 goals for Burnley whilst playing for Brentford
Jokes aside, Toney for 50m would be a good signing.

People looking disparagingly at his goal record are wide of the mark. Toney is so much more than a scorer - he's a physical monster, and his hold up and playmaking skills are elite. He'd be the Giroud to Son's Mbappe, bringing our other attackers into play and facilitating as much as scoring.

See the role Havertz is currently playing for the scum, or Firmino at Liverpool - the best 9s don't have to be a team's primary goal threat if they excel at bringing others into the game.

If he comes to Spurs he probably won't be bagging 20 for us in a season but he could well be the guy that enables Son to hit 30 (and a goalscoring RW if we bring one in).

Other mitigating factors to his current form - Brentford are 16th, playing low block Frank-ball, and Toney's been dealing with injuries recently on top of that.

For a comparison on how he'd do with better players, have a look at the recent England friendlies. Watkins played up front in the first one, and was invisible: if he's not scoring he's doing fuck all. Toney played in the second and was everywhere, linking brilliantly with Bellingham, Foden, etc. There's no doubt he's Kane's first understudy in the summer.

Finally, right now the only one of our forwards that can hold up the ball is Kulu, who's been distinctly lacking in other areas. We desperately need a striker who can keep possession and help relieve pressure on our backline. Toney is as good as anyone in that regard.

Last edited:
In my view, we need 6 players this summer: 3 starters across the frontline, cover/rotation for Udogie&Porro and an elite 6.

I can see obvious, doable options in all positions except for the 6. Most of the names banded about aren’t automatic upgrades on Bissouma.

Also kelly would cover the left back spot too
He would for Newcastle becuase they play Burn there. For us the LB role is a different world.

It's going to take a worldy bit of scouting to find a player that does both. Kind of why I like the idea of a fast, technical Japanese or Korean CB because they don't often have donkeys at CB but whoever does play there for them has to have a bit about them to battle against the beasts in Europe.

Not necessarily related to us, but this is interesting enough to discuss either way I think.

Barca are going to loan/sell Vitor Roque in the summer because Xavi doesn't like him for some reason.
This is the wunderkid that they signed in January of last year and allowed to stay in brazil until January.

2 goals in 11 games for Barca and well liked by the fanbase. Yet still being shipped out because Xavi reportedly refuses to speak to him.

What a weird transfer that ended up being.

Both had much better seasons.

Since coming back from the ban what has Toney done to earn his spot in the squad?

Southgate would probably still take him if he had been a key part of his team before like Maguire or Henderson but he hasn't really done anything for England to have much loyalty from Southgate.
Toney was by far the better striker out of him and Watkins in the last two friendlies. That'll get him on the plane alone.

If you think Solanke is going ahead of Toney you haven't a clue mate.

Not necessarily related to us, but this is interesting enough to discuss either way I think.

Barca are going to loan/sell Vitor Roque in the summer because Xavi doesn't like him for some reason.
This is the wunderkid that they signed in January of last year and allowed to stay in brazil until January.

2 goals in 11 games for Barca and well liked by the fanbase. Yet still being shipped out because Xavi reportedly refuses to speak to him.

What a weird transfer that ended up being.

I know several Barca fans and they'd prefer to keep Roque than Xavi.

Back
Top Bottom