Summer Transfer thread - 2024

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I think really they should just be sitting alongside the 6.

So we're like this:

Romero........ Van de Ven
Porro.......... Number 6.........Udogie
Sarr................ Maddison
Right winger....................Striker.................. Left winger

Giving that solidarity in the middle. Whilst Maddison and Sarr cause some problems and press high. If Porro moves forward, Sarr drops. If Udogie goes forward, Maddison does.

Romero moves out wide on opposition counters and the same with van de Ven on the left with the 6 dropping in.

Proper wingers keep the width to stretch play and open the space for the middle.
Agree.

Really I've no idea why BOTH fullbacks need to be right up with our number 10s; it just condenses all the space there anyway and they all end up on top of each other.

Our formation against low blocks then ends up looking like a sort of 2-1-7 which just feels completely wrong; you're too open on the counter when you lose it and you don't have enough players deep to progress the ball properly anyway. You can't tell me Porro wouldn't be more useful in a deeper Trent-esque position where he can ping balls over the top. And we'd have another man back to protect against the counter.

The weird thing too is we were playing much more like this back in those first 10 games. Take a look at the Woolwich or United games - it's much more of a 2-3 in build up, with Porro/Udogie level with Bissouma. And sometimes Maddison dropping with Bissouma to form a 2-4. I'm convinced that extra support is part of the reason for Bissouma's improved form back then too.

Then for some reason as the season progressed our fullbacks moved much further forward and our ball progression and defensive solidity suffered as a result. I don't want to turn this into a debate on Ange but that's one of my reasons for concern over him - the longer the season goes the further away we get from something resembling a sensible structure on the pitch.

We have to drastically improve the quality in our attacking group. For me, in an ideal world, that would be three proper quality forwards and an 8 at least in this window.
We need a 6 a lot more than we need an 8. Sarr & Bentancur is perfectly good rotation for the 8 spot, Bentancur will surely be back to his best next season and he's perfect for that role. Then there's Bergvall, Kulu, and potentially Gio.

6 on the other hand is a huge problem. Bissouma has been crap for 20 months out of 22 at the club. Way too loose in possession and not good enough defensively to make up for it. Bentancur is the only other viable option but he's much better as an 8. And even if these two were on top form we'd still struggle without a deep-lying-playmaker profile to use against low blocks. Need someone who can quickly ping balls out to the wings Rodri-style, especially if we sell Hojbjerg.

Getting a top 6 will be the make or break for Ange at this club you feel.

We need a 6 a lot more than we need an 8. Sarr & Bentancur is perfectly good rotation for the 8 spot, Bentancur will surely be back to his best next season and he's perfect for that role. Then there's Bergvall, Kulu, and potentially Gio.

6 on the other hand is a huge problem. Bissouma has been crap for 20 months out of 22 at the club. Way too loose in possession and not good enough defensively to make up for it. Bentancur is the only other viable option but he's much better as an 8. And even if these two were on top form we'd still struggle without a deep-lying-playmaker profile to use against low blocks. Need someone who can quickly ping balls out to the wings Rodri-style, especially if we sell Hojbjerg.

Getting a top 6 will be the make or break for Ange at this club you feel.

Don't agree with much there but can't be arsed to repeat it all again.

talented

small

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72d9qrOcyK8

First touch like silk, nice passing range, can see him being useful as a DLP if we let Hoj go. Concern is his size - he's very small. Defensively he could get bullied. Especially if we keep playing this formation keeping only the 6 and CBs back for the counter, you need a Declan Rice there, an animal to snuff out everything. Not this guy who'll get bodied

Olise I'm sure can play the wide role; the kid is going right to the top. Could absolutely see Pep buying him for the RW position, very Mahrez-esque, doesn't rely on pace.

But yes agree on Eze. Very much better centrally than he is out wide and if we're buying him for that LW spot we'd be making a big mistake.
It's funny how different people can see different things in a player. I actually think that of the 2, Eze is probably best suited to us. I think he has more versatility that Olise, in that he's comfortable as either a central or wide midfielder, who you could interchange with Maddison and increase our creativity through the middle.

I'm not really convinced that Olise would offer the width that we need, though not being convinced doesn't mean I categorically am against it. He's most definitely a superb talent, so it's more than feasible that he could thrive.

TBH though, I doubt he'd go to us if someone like City are interested. He loves to cut in, which Pep has his 'wide' players do all the time. I'd even go so far as to say his natural game is tailor made for Pep. We'd be asking him to change from that.

It's hard enough to compete for a player like that even if you are dripping in money, or you have CL, when your competition can offer both, plus an almost cast iron guarantee that you'll win pots.

IMO, Olise, injuries aside, is the best/most suited RW we could realistically sign.

He goes on the outside and puts in crosses (94th percentile), plays passes in the box (92nd percentile), can come inside and shoot (massively outperforming his xG), is a good dribbler and is a decent presser with good defensive stats.

Not sure where the "wouldn't hold width" comes from, he did under Hodgson. His heatmap is very similar to Jota's under Ange, but obviously on the Right rather than Left.

IMO, Olise, injuries aside, is the best/most suited RW we could realistically sign.

He goes on the outside and puts in crosses (94th percentile), plays passes in the box (92nd percentile), can come inside and shoot (massively outperforming his xG), is a good dribbler and is a decent presser with good defensive stats.

Not sure where the "wouldn't hold width" comes from, he did under Hodgson. His heatmap is very similar to Jota's under Ange, but obviously on the Right rather than Left.

He's better and more dangerous cutting in on his left foot, we need touchline wingers for this system to bang not wingers looking to come inside otherwise it's pointless.

He's better and more dangerous cutting in on his left foot, we need touchline wingers for this system to bang not wingers looking to come inside otherwise it's pointless.
Disagree, we need wingers that either go on the outside and put a cross/pass it or come inside and shoot/cross/pass it, that will also make runs into the box when the ball is on the other wing and Olise fits that.

have rarely/never seen him go on the outside of a fullback even when Roy was there. That percentile can’t be crossing from wide/outside. He’s a good player alright but his natural game is narrow for a wide player and I don’t think it’s easy to change that and still be as effective. Maybe we will change how we play slightly.

That along with the injuries and big fee would be a big risk.

I know nothing about him beyond this tweet, but this is the kind of left-field signing I was expecting to see Ange make. Haven't our scouts been seen at Brondby??

View: https://x.com/SpurOTM/status/1791188863286710475

Since the appointment of Angelos as head-coach Spurs have been linked to the following Japanese players listed below (enough to make a starting XI), in almost all cases simply because they’re Japanese and Angelos used to work for Yokahoma F. (back in 2018-21).

GK:
Kosuke Nakamura

DEFENSE:
Hiroki Ito,
Kōki Machida
Ko Itakura

CMF:

Reo Hatate,
Daichi Kamada,

LWF:
Kaoru Mitoma
CF
:
Yuito Suzuki, Kyogo Furuhashi
RWF:
Takefusa Kubo,

Then throw in 2 other non-Japanese players being linked to Spurs simply because of their Japanese name:

Zion Suzuki (born in the USA to a Japanese mother)
Gabriel Osho

Then you have the following South Korean players being linked because of 2 reasons: South Kore is the closest country to Japan and Son is from there:
Kim Min-jae, Kim Ji-soo, Hwang Hee-chan, Kang Seong jin, Kang-in Lee,

And last but not least: Angelos must be linked to 1 Aussie player for the fun of it:

Thomas Waddingham

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72d9qrOcyK8

First touch like silk, nice passing range, can see him being useful as a DLP if we let Hoj go. Concern is his size - he's very small. Defensively he could get bullied. Especially if we keep playing this formation keeping only the 6 and CBs back for the counter, you need a Declan Rice there, an animal to snuff out everything. Not this guy who'll get bodied

Only thing is he’s stout so maybe could end up being tough enough but we don’t know until we have him in the team and I’m not sure we can afford to get it wrong if he is too small.

Wharton was a more sure shot for a young HG 6.

Gray would be too most likely.

Back
Top Bottom