Summer Transfer thread - 2024

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I know nothing about him and usually pretty suspicious of players that have breakout seasons in mid to late 20s as always feels like a flash in the pan. But at £17m if it doesnt work out then you could flip him in a year and probably get most of that back. Leaves a lot more dosh to invest elsewhere. Would he be much of a fall off on Toney or Solanke? Seems a similar sort of age and level.

Exactly mate.

Only Guirassy is statistically levels above Toney or Solanke.

he he 🤤. You've developed a habit of referring to me in the third person rather than addressing me directly. In fact, I've let several of your snidey comments slide over the past few days.

You're a very naughty boy

Anyway. I think it's important we add some context to your accusations and address them head on.

Every one of those last 8 years you and a bunch of extreme happy clappers / losers have spent each summer in this thread talking up every window and every signing (you even put a positive spin on the 2018 window when Levy completely shat the bed and made history, a disgraceful cop out that's still stinging us to this day) while at the same time attacking, insulting and abusing anyone with a less positive outlook than yourself.

While myself and others have called out our transfer activity for what it is and have been alarmed at what we see as a lack of ambition on the playing side for a club of our immense wealth, size and stature, with manager after manager let down , screwed over and sold short.

On the above points we can at least amicably agree. Polar opposites, yeah, but our positions Crystal clear.

Now. The all important evidence, blud.

In each of those 8 years you refer to we have gone on to record ANOTHER trophyless season, we've seen half a dozen managerial hirings and firings, and a general downturn in performance and no end in sight to the longest trophy drought since WWII

So. Who has been proven right. You?..🤡... or yours truly?...🤷‍♂️......case closed.

You see, unlike yourself, I don't think you can truly judge a transfer window until the results of the transfer window can be analysed.
No window can seriously be rated 10/10 unless and until that window contributes to meaningful success a year or two down the line

So asking what would constitute a 10/10 window now is a dumb question that doesn't deserve an answer. Especially when so many previous windows rated 10/10 by fools on here only achieved continued failure and managerial departures.

It's nothing to do with moving goalposts, its about looking at things with a dose of realism and using the evidence of stone cold facts to back your opinion up.

48 previous transfer windows with ENIC and just 1 carling cup some 31 transfer windows and 10 managers ago to show for it isn't a great case for your argument and your vitriolic abuse aimed at others who don't agree, chappie.

Try and at least chill out and accept that many fans will never be quite like you.

:angehug:

You must be a politician - so so many words to not answer a simple question.

Am i the only one here that thinks Solomon looked very promising the games he played?

Seems like the forum has forgotten about him.

Awkward The Simpsons GIF
He had one or two really good games. I think Burnley was one.

Not sure if he was ever part of our long term plans though. A cheap purchase with a view to selling on.

Not even his first.

The last 2 seasons have been unbelievably prolific and even 21/22 at Rennes was up there with the most prolific in Europe for goals per minute played.

The guy is statistically lethal and has been for a while.

I need to try and find a full game to watch but for me he's top of the list for realistic targets.

If we're looking to keep Richy, then signing Guirassay for the release clause banded about seems to be a bit of a no brainier.

Especially whilst we are developing the likes of Veliz, Lankshear, Scarlett etc.

I know nothing about him and usually pretty suspicious of players that have breakout seasons in mid to late 20s as always feels like a flash in the pan. But at £17m if it doesnt work out then you could flip him in a year and probably get most of that back. Leaves a lot more dosh to invest elsewhere. Would he be much of a fall off on Toney or Solanke? Seems a similar sort of age and level.
I'm not against taking a punt on Guirassy but I'm not sure he'd be that easy to sell if he flops. His low release clause will have plenty of clubs sniffing this summer so you could expect a bidding war for his wages - £150k wouldn't shock me - in which case he could end up being pretty hard to budge. That said, still think it's worth the risk. And in this day and age plenty of strikers only start peaking in their late 20s so I wouldn't necessarily be put off by his late blooming.

Am i the only one here that thinks Solomon looked very promising the games he played?

Seems like the forum has forgotten about him.

Awkward The Simpsons GIF
To me he looked crap against Sheffield, OK against Burnley, and pretty good in pre season. Just not enough track record to go on really.

Personally my sense is he's a bit of a one-trick-pony cut-inside-and-shoot merchant. Doesn't strike me as particularly smart player. But my biggest worry is the injuries; it's now two really bad knee injuries that have kept him out for 18 of the last 24 months. He might end up being good but we can't rely on him.

Last edited:
I watch Kane a lot, and I like his style. He’s good at everything; he can bring his teammates into play, he can score goals. Lewandowski is almost the same. He’s great, he can score goals, he can dribble, he can pass. Benzema is the same, he can do everything. These are the type of players I like; I relate to them because of my style.”
Bro knows ball at least

1. Reportedly an Ange pick. That doesn't mean that Ange didn't prefer a different player better. That's important to remember when these PR pieces come out.

2. They want another 1 or 2 CMs? Not really all that clear tbh because it says #6 and B2B like Gallagher.

Are we really thinking this club is signing 2-3 forwards, 2 CMs and a versatile defender to cover FBs and CB?

That's 6 players coming in...

A ridiculously exciting player who's been let down by attitude and supposed laziness at times.

Would cost about 15m or so apparently but a gamble I'd much rather take than the same fee on Werner.
Exciting, attitude and laziness. Rings a bell. Does he eat a lot?

1. Reportedly an Ange pick. That doesn't mean that Ange didn't prefer a different player better. That's important to remember when these PR pieces come out.
Yeh I just mean Ange likes him. Which is fine, he liked Van De Ven after all.

As I've said I don't hate the signing so long as it doesn't leave us short elsewhere. I've been a fan of this club for too long to think it won't.
2. They want another 1 or 2 CMs? Not really all that clear tbh because it says #6 and B2B like Gallagher.
Yep some nebulous reporting here from Ali G. Nice enough guy but I don't particularly rate his football takes so wouldn't surprise me if he thinks Gallagher is a #6 alternative (he's not).
Are we really thinking this club is signing 2-3 forwards, 2 CMs and a versatile defender to cover FBs and CB?
Need you even ask? If there's one thing we know about Tottenham it's that they'll leave us short in 1-2 key positions each summer. After all this is the same club that sold Davinson Sanchez after the window shut leaving us with only Dier & Davies as back up CBs for an aggressive high-line system.

Back
Top Bottom