Summer Transfer thread - 2024

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

i dont see why we cant get one special exciting player in we cant be having 6 punt and hopes again and fairnplay vdv was a brilliant signing but we need to go for one exciting talent on the wing not fussed on striker is richy stays and we get a toney or guirassey in but a top winger i would be happy with we need that most
punctuation bro

i dont see why we cant get one special exciting player in we cant be having 6 punt and hopes again and fairnplay vdv was a brilliant signing but we need to go for one exciting talent on the wing not fussed on striker is richy stays and we get a toney or guirassey in but a top winger i would be happy with we need that most

Was VDV a punt. He cost £50m and we got him in early august so he was clearly a guy we wanted.

I'd rather we sign 10 VDV's in their respective positions, honestly. Who cares about headlines and "winning" the transfer window. Just get the signings right and save the winning for the matches.

Olise and Eze will get higher wages than Tanguy

and tbh who knows what Tanguy could have been if we never sacked Poch. He was a top talent. You pay top wages you get top talent and have a top ceiling as a club. Then it's up to you how well you run your football club.

So all the managers at clubs he's been loaned to were wrong - as well as Poch who got him at the start of preseason, started him in his first 2 games, before putting him on bench until Poch left.

Was VDV a punt. He cost £50m and we got him in early august so he was clearly a guy we wanted.
£50 million? VdV cost approx £35 million. Anything further to that was performance related add ons.

Whilst I wouldn’t call VDV a “punt” if we’re going by our traditional punts, our first choice target was evidently Tapsoba. We seemingly negotiated both prices to death and VDV came out as the cheaper option, so as per our transfer policy, we went for him.

It worked out thankfully on this occasion (even though Tapsoba would likely have been an equally excellent signing) but it’s a flawed policy that has a higher miss than hit rate.

Think it's pretty likely he'd have always gone down this route tbh. He was already known for having attitude and fitness issues at Amiens. Just poor due diligence and scouting all round by us frankly.
Which is shocking, considering our interest in him lasted over a year before signing him.

Ndombele, more than anything else, encapsulates to me why Poch shouldn't have been empowered as he was. No manager can effectively run a squad and recruitment - it's an outdated model, and we tried it with disastrous results.

Die Season 3 GIF by The Office

View: https://x.com/TheSpursExpress/status/1793596049082523732

Every season lol. Takes me back to last summer when O Keefe was talking of huge churn, contracts being ripped up etc.

lol indeed. We ain’t selling 8 or 9 players in the current transfer market. If we can great but unlikely. What we need to do is get them off the books some how and just go out and get at least 3 top QUALITY. Players not average run of the mill shite. Then may be two promising youngsters and promote some of our own. Job done then tell Ange to start coaching them!

Romano said it on the JD Football podcast. He tagged Romano as he's the source of the information.

Said he has a release clause of about 60m. United are interested and have been since November and Chelsea were one step away from signing him last season for 35m and will go for him again.
Ah, righto

Back
Top Bottom