Summer Transfer thread - 2024

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It’s true

2 elite players in this team makes us a completely different beast

The scum spend 110 million on one player and make less money than us, while we look for scraps off relegation fodder teams and punts on youngsters

ENIC will never do what is necessary to compete

True and not true.

2 elite players who fit the system would be magnificent.

We have, believe it or not, bought elite players but things change, injury/form/lack of a fucking set piece coach... They will affect the impact of a new player.

Bottom line we've made some good signings, it's a bit unfair to call them youths and scrap from relegation teams, last season we got..

Vicario
Van Der Ven
Udogie
Maddison
Johnson
Solomon
Werner (Loan)
Dragusin

Now of course that isn't all fantastic success stories but I'd call that a pretty strong set of transfers and even at the most elite clubs with the best scouts not every transfer works out. I'm just saying those signings should make us compete, I'm not quite willing to make this all about ENIC, because those aren't bad signings, if it was literally a load of crap then I could agree with the criticism .

The squad has improved but last season was always going to be pretty batshit because, practically Kane is irreplaceable and the new squad has to adapt to a different playing style.

True and not true.

2 elite players who fit the system would be magnificent.

We have, believe it or not, bought elite players but things change, injury/form/lack of a fucking set piece coach... They will affect the impact of a new player.

Bottom line we've made some good signings, it's a bit unfair to call them youths and scrap from relegation teams, last season we got..

Vicario
Van Der Ven
Udogie
Maddison
Johnson
Solomon
Werner (Loan)
Dragusin

Now of course that isn't all fantastic success stories but I'd call that a pretty strong set of transfers and even at the most elite clubs with the best scouts not every transfer works out. I'm just saying those signings should make us compete, I'm not quite willing to make this all about ENIC, because those aren't bad signings, if it was literally a load of crap then I could agree with the criticism .

The squad has improved but last season was always going to be pretty batshit because, practically Kane is irreplaceable and the new squad has to adapt to a different playing style.
All the players you’ve listed are either punts on youngsters or scraps ie maddison

I’m not denying they’re good players but they aren’t elite

VDV and Udogie will be but they were still punts

When is the last time we bought a fully fledged elite player? I can’t remember one, we’re a big enough team to attract them and have the money, we just refuse to spend it

If we want to be a successful club we need to start acting like one

If we wanted that kvaratshelia from Napoli we have the money and pull to get him, but we would never in a million years part with it

Last edited:
We need ollise don’t care where he plays but he would next level. The type of signing that would really make us believe things have changed. As some of the you tube content providers have said we need real quality this window not average at best quantity players. Players who can win matches in their own. We don’t have any. None of our forwards are going to do a bit of skill beat a player and bang it in the top corner. Son use to do it but either can’t now or is reluctant.
65-70m off the back of five games at the end of the season. Talented player but massive injury worries. Everyone was writing him off as a signing last month, it could work but I would bet he’ll spend long parts of next season with injuries, especially if he came here with our record.

Definitely should be looking at real quality that comes in and improve us from the off. But I’d rather spend that sort of money on Sesko/Gyrokeres/Simmons/Openda personally

All the players you’ve listed are either punts on youngsters or scraps ie maddison

I’m not denying they’re good players but they aren’t elite

VDV and Udogie will be but they were still punts

When is the last time we bought a fully fledged elite player? I can’t remember one, we’re a big enough team to attract them and have the money, we just refuse to spend it

If we want to be a successful club we need to start acting like one

If we wanted that kvaratshelia from Napoli we have the money and pull to get him, but we would never in a million years part with it
We play in the premier league we have the pull for any player.

We just don’t pay the wages to attract players that can get paid more elsewhere. If you look at the players that went to Saudi, only one thing really matters for attracting players.

Players can break through that as they mature, more to his game than outright pace

Well worth a gamble, he runs a game and makes loads of chances/goals
Exactly we have to look at the quality and positives he would bring rather he could get a hamstring injury. Didn’t stop us buying richi who im sure even at Everton he’d miss games through what look like rather tame injuries. He seems to get injured more in training rather than games. Anyways ollise is the statement signing a proper spurs player from the past.

I mean fair enough if you want to upgrade the team but choosing Johnson over Kulu as the one to sell first is crazy
Admittedly it's a judgement call, and I have found Kulu frustrating at times this season so I wouldn't cry about selling him either.

I just think he's the one with the better attributes and higher ceiling. He's also more versatile as we've seen with his move to false #9 in recent weeks and CAM earlier in the season. It wouldn't shock me if he could do a job at inverted fullback or in a double pivot.

His touch is much better, hold up play, he can threat a lovely through ball, cross. He can shoot from further than 2 yards out, he CAN hit it with his right contrary to popular belief, he can battle, press, fight for his life in the challenge against players twice his size. He's intelligent. You can fire the ball into him surrounded by 3 defenders and he'll somehow keep it and you'll wonder how on earth has he done that then.

Johnson can't do any of that shit. He's a pace merchant who can spam a low cross. He'll get you the odd G/A but he'll never run a game at this level, he doesn't have the underlying attributes. He can only play in one position but when we do it severely limits the way we play. In a possession team he's useless. He's flimsy.

Mark my words, Brennan will be back at a Brentford level club in two years, and Kulu... well Kulu could be too but let's just say it wouldn't shock me to see him go the other way and move to a City or Real. He has the potential, we've seen it.

Last edited:
65-70m off the back of five games at the end of the season. Talented player but massive injury worries. Everyone was writing him off as a signing last month, it could work but I would bet he’ll spend long parts of next season with injuries, especially if he came here with our record.

Definitely should be looking at real quality that comes in and improve us from the off. But I’d rather spend that sort of money on Sesko/Gyrokeres/Simmons/Openda personally
Get you I was just using ollise as an example of the type of players we need to get to next level. Not players of the ilk of Werner’s, richi , Johnson etc.

Nuñez is a disaster for 2 seasons now
Well maybe now you can stop quoting G/A as an argument for players you like, considering Nunez got 30 last year 😂

And IMO calling him a disaster is a bit much. He's clearly a handful for defenders and in the right system can do you a job.

I just think he makes Liverpool too transitional, they're better suited to a Firmino type who won't bag you the goals but will keep possession and bring the likes of Salah into play.

I've liked Nunez more when he's been shoved out left. Make him run the channels. He'll never have the composure to be an elite #9.

Last edited:
Well maybe now you can stop quoting G/A as an argument for players you like, considering Nunez got 30 last year 😂

And IMO calling him a disaster is a bit much. He's clearly a handful for defenders and in the right system can do you a job.

I just think he makes Liverpool too transitional, they're better suited to a Firmino type who won't bag you the goals but will keep possession and bring the likes of Salah into play.

I've liked Nunez more when he's been shoved out left. Make him run the channels. He'll never have the composure to be an elite #9.
Can’t beat players 1v1, can’t cross, can’t finish. He’d be a better #6

Never fall in love with a rumour.. he says whilst fully falling in love with a rumour.

Can definitely see him playing in this system though. If we managed to move on PEH and Lo Celso id have no problems bringing Gallagher and a guy like this and leaving #6 until there is better available on the market.
I see a new Højbjerg

He works hard as fuck so straight away he’s not in the Ndombele zone
Who is paying Liverpool even half of what they paid and agreeing to pay him the wages he’s already getting?

Maybe Saudi ?

If not it’s loan with option land. First player dropped when the team doesn’t play well. Easy place to blame over permanent players with sell on value. The abyss section of this current transfer market bubble.

Can’t beat players 1v1, can’t cross, can’t finish. He’d be a better #6
Presume you didn't watch Nunez out left cos his crossing was at times excellent and he put plenty on a plate for Salah.

As for his 1v1, he took on that Bournemouth player 1v1 pretty handily before he fired it into the top corner from 30 yards. Can't recall your mate Brennan doing that too often.

Presume you didn't watch Nunez out left cos his crossing was at times excellent and he put plenty on a plate for Salah.

As for his 1v1, he took on that Bournemouth player 1v1 pretty handily before he fired it into the top corner from 30 yards. Can't recall your mate Brennan doing that too often.

He had one flashy low percentage finish vs Sheff UTD and did a 1v1 vs Bournemouth.

For 100m

He played a lot of games in a team that creates a shit ton of chances and fell out with the manager that brought him in. Missed the big chances that counted when they were still in the title race.

Nunez is the perfect example of why Liverpool’s transfers went to shit after Klopp got rid of Edwards.

Back
Top Bottom