Summer Transfer thread - 2024

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I don't think we can underestimate PSGs pull in French football. Doure will get minutes as part of Luis Enriques rebuild and he's guaranteed to develop further and win things.

If they have space in their rotation for Doue why are they sending Simons out on loan?

They are losing Mbappe and shopping for a superstar to replace him.

Just doesn’t make any sense for them to be serious about Doue this summer

I never said go get Isak.

I said that if we cannot get a clear upgrade on Richarlison, we get someone of a similar quality to him and allow the two to rotate and have both of them ship in with goals.

I used Newcastle as an example of a functioning rotating CF position. It was never about actually signing Isak.

So like Newcastle but without a player as good as Isak?

So like Newcastle but without a player as good as Isak?
Yes. That's the point. If we cannot get a striker as good as Isak or someone who is a clear upgrade on Richi. Then the obvious solution is to deepen the position. Get someone who is of a similar quality to Richarlison and allow both of them to contribute collectively to a good goal haul instead of being overly reliant on one person to have a fantastic scoring season.

So if Richarlison tops out of at 10-11 goals that is made up for by the other guy scoring around the same amount. So the position as a collective gets us 20 goals. In addition to whatever Son and the other wingers produce.

Yes. That's the point. If we cannot get a striker as good as Isak or someone who is a clear upgrade on Richi. Then the obvious solution is to deepen the position. Get someone who is of a similar quality to Richarlison and allow both of them to contribute collectively to a good goal haul instead of being overly reliant on one person to have a fantastic scoring season.

So if Richarlison tops out of at 10-11 goals that is made up for by the other guy scoring around the same amount. So the position as a collective gets us 20 goals. In addition to whatever Son and the other wingers produce.

I get you.

The likely ceiling is that we end up 100% weaker than a rival at the CF position and try to spread the funds to be stronger than them elsewhere.

I’m just not sure CFs work like that. One of them will be the main CF and the other will end up playing less. Like Isak as the main CF and Wilson playing less.

If they have space in their rotation for Doue why are they sending Simons out on loan?

They are losing Mbappe and shopping for a superstar to replace him.

Maybe Xavi Simons doesn't want to stay there?

Remember they already sold him once just to buy him back to fuck him back off out on loan again. He seems to have his heart set on going back to Barca.

I also don't really see why it'd be one or the other.

PSG's business rarely makes sense. They spent £160m combined on Gonzalo Ramos and Kolo Muani last summer and then barely used either of them. They spent £60m on Ugarte but Enrique prefers ball playing #6s. They never suffer any consequences for their transfer market stupidity cause they're in a one team league and are clearly cooking the books with respect to FFP.

Just because it might not make sense to buy Doue doesn't mean they won't.

Maybe Xavi Simons doesn't want to stay there?

Remember they already sold him once just to buy him back to fuck him back off out on loan again. He seems to have his heart set on going back to Barca.

I also don't really see why it'd be one or the other.

If we don’t underestimate the pull of PSG why would Simons not want to stay and play 3rd fiddle to their new superstar and Barcola?

If he didn’t why would Doue want to be 3rd Fiddle?

PSG's business rarely makes sense. They spent £160m combined on Gonzalo Ramos and Kolo Muani last summer and then barely used either of them. They spent £60m on Ugarte but Enrique prefers ball playing #6s. They never suffer any consequences for their transfer market stupidity cause they're in a one team league and are clearly cooking the books with respect to FFP.

Just because it might not make sense to buy Doue doesn't mean they won't.

I get that but the player also has a say in it. It’s got appeal to him as the biggest French club but I think the idea of the premier league and long term successor to Son can compete with 3rd fiddle in the same league

I get that but the player also has a say in it. It’s got appeal to him as the biggest French club but I think the idea of the premier league and long term successor to Son can compete with 3rd fiddle in the same league
Look I'm not saying it's impossible that Doue would pick us. I've just seen it too many times where players - especially French ones - decide to go to PSG despite it being obviously a bad career move to get my hopes up. Money talks, UCL talks, "prestige" talks, Paris talks, etc.

Quite easily.

Guirassy £15m
Toney £30-40m
Zirkzee £40m
I don't know about Zirkzee but the other two are 28, I don't think that age is in Ange's plans.

When speaking about Johnson he said something like ''young and hungry, that's what I'm all about''.

I don't know about Zirkzee but the other two are 28, I don't think that age is in Ange's plans.

When speaking about Johnson he said something like '' young and hungry, that's what I'm all about''.
And Richarlison is 27.

Strikers are also peaking a lot later these days. Best ones in the world are mid 30s. Toney and Guirassy don't rely on pace, could easily see them go another 7-8 years. Put an age limit on wingers by all means but putting a 25 cut on strikers would be short sighted.

Also we know for a fact from POK both Toney and Guirassy are on our list so I'm not sure why you've assumed Ange has ruled them out.

And Richarlison is 27.

Strikers are also peaking a lot later these days. Best ones in the world are mid 30s. Toney and Guirassy don't rely on pace, could easily see them go another 7-8 years. Put an age limit on wingers by all means but putting a 25 cut on strikers would be short sighted.
Maybe he was just trying to big up Johnson when he made that sort of comment.

''HE'S YOUNG, AMBITIOUS... IT'S NO SECRET THAT'S BEEN THE MODEL FOR ME NOT JUST HERE, BUT WHEREVER I'VE GONE''

I don't see 28 year olds in those criteria.

True. But equally, wage bill is the most accurate predictor of league position. It's no surprise we have routinely finished 5th-6th these past 5 years given that's where we place in the wage bill league too.

I know Levy likes his precious wage:revenue ratio low but if we're going to win trophies at some point we're going to have to start competing on wages with the top clubs in the league.

Not entirely correct - note Woolwich wages :

View: https://x.com/KieranMaguire/status/1775506321418145870

Whilst Kane and his wages have since moved on, Spurs are bringing in a number of other players whose average wages are higher than the players they are replacing.

Last years reported wages in order :
Man city £423m
Chelsea £ 404m (not a 'winner')
Liverpool £ 373m
ManU £ 331m (not a ''winner'')
Spurs £251m
Woolwich £ 235m
Leicester £ 206m (relegated)
Villa £ 194m
Newcastle £ 187m

Woolwich wages probably skewed lower by having a few players coming through from their academy included.

And Richarlison is 27.

Also we know for a fact from POK both Toney and Guirassy are on our list so I'm not sure why you've assumed Ange has ruled them out.

To your point. Sounds like we should just stick Richy. He’s coming into peak years.

Back
Top Bottom