Summer Transfer thread - 2024

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The interesting thing for me here is that Rice was signed as a game changer at the #6 but ended up playing as a pressure 8 that wins the ball back and gets them moving.

Gallagher is worse than Rice as a 6 but as a pressure 8 that can win the ball back and contribute goals, there isn’t a massive difference.

Rice doesn’t have the passing game for the 6 in a possession based team. There was a great video showing how he often chooses the wrong option from deep where as Jorginho mostly chooses the right one, he also isn’t that press resistant which is key in any team that wants to dominate from the base. Rice was fine at West Ham as the DM in a Moyes style but at Arse he was always going to be ball winning box to box. He has a huge engine, great intelligence off the and seems like a leader, his current role as a box to box fits him perfectly.

Not entirely correct - note Woolwich wages :

View: https://x.com/KieranMaguire/status/1775506321418145870

Whilst Kane and his wages have since moved on, Spurs are bringing in a number of other players whose average wages are higher than the players they are replacing.

Last years reported wages in order :
Man city £423m
Chelsea £ 404m (not a 'winner')
Liverpool £ 373m
ManU £ 331m (not a ''winner'')
Spurs £251m
Woolwich £ 235m
Leicester £ 206m (relegated)
Villa £ 194m
Newcastle £ 187m

Woolwich wages probably skewed lower by having a few players coming through from their academy included.

Of course there are gonna be outliers, but I only said wages are the closest predictor of league finish, they're not an exact 1:1.

Woolwich have massively outperformed their wage bill under Arteta. As did we under Pochettino. United are the opposite.

The wage bills of clubs below the top 6 are much closer together so you're gonna get more "upsets" like Leicester going down and Brighton breaking into the top 6.

None of this is to say we can't pull a Woolwich and start outperforming our wage bill again, but it'd take some very smart moves in the transfer market and likely some outperformance by the manager. Questions for me over whether we are better than our competition in either category right now, and I have little faith we will get there under our present chairman.

A more reliable strategy would be to just use our extra revenues and FFP leeway to start bridging the wage gap. The longer players like Olise keep picking Chelsea and United over us for wage reasons the harder we'll find it to compete at the top.

Rice doesn’t have the passing game for the 6 in a possession based team. There was a great video showing how he often chooses the wrong option from deep where as Jorginho mostly chooses the right one, he also isn’t that press resistant which is key in any team that wants to dominate from the base. Rice was fine at West Ham as the DM in a Moyes style but at Arse he was always going to be ball winning box to box. He has a huge engine, great intelligence off the and seems like a leader, his current role as a box to box fits him perfectly.
Said this last summer. Rice is never a sitting single pivot #6 in a possession team, and Havertz was never a box-to-box #8, that midfield at the start of the season had no balance whatsoever. Arteta is the luckiest cunt on the planet that he lucked his way into a winning formula by the end.

If we don’t underestimate the pull of PSG why would Simons not want to stay and play 3rd fiddle to their new superstar and Barcola?

If he didn’t why would Doue want to be 3rd Fiddle?

Simons is a Dutch player who was signed at a young age by a different manager and sold off to a Dutch club, only to be re-signed with the likelihood of making even more profit on him. He has no allegiance to PSG and probably doesn't like getting fucked around. Hence his comments on wanting to leave.

The comparisons aren't the same. Doue is a young French player who would probably jump at the chance of signing for the biggest French club in the world.

The use of the word pull was more to do with young French footballers. PSG are also leading the race for Yoro too, I believe. Who was another one who probably had the pick of any club in European football.

Not entirely correct - note Woolwich wages :

View: https://x.com/KieranMaguire/status/1775506321418145870

Whilst Kane and his wages have since moved on, Spurs are bringing in a number of other players whose average wages are higher than the players they are replacing.

Last years reported wages in order :
Man city £423m
Chelsea £ 404m (not a 'winner')
Liverpool £ 373m
ManU £ 331m (not a ''winner'')
Spurs £251m
Woolwich £ 235m
Leicester £ 206m (relegated)
Villa £ 194m
Newcastle £ 187m

Woolwich wages probably skewed lower by having a few players coming through from their academy included.

Wage bill isn’t the specific issue. The issue is the top wage we offer and the level of player that can usually attract.

Maybe Xavi Simons doesn't want to stay there?

Remember they already sold him once just to buy him back to fuck him back off out on loan again. He seems to have his heart set on going back to Barca.

I also don't really see why it'd be one or the other.

Hey we’ve pipped Barca last summer. Could make it a trend.

Simons is a Dutch player who was signed at a young age by a different manager and sold off to a Dutch club, only to be re-signed with the likelihood of making even more profit on him. He has no allegiance to PSG and probably doesn't like getting fucked around. Hence his comments on wanting to leave.

The comparisons aren't the same. Doue is a young French player who would probably jump at the chance of signing for the biggest French club in the world.

The use of the word pull was more to do with young French footballers. PSG are also leading the race for Yoro too, I believe. Who was another one who probably had the pick of any club in European football.

I fully get that but I still think we have a chance with what we have to offer.

Make the kid feel like our priority and pitch his pathway like we did for VDV, Dragusin and Bergvall

I fully get that but I still think we have a chance with what we have to offer.

Make the kid feel like our priority and pitch his pathway like we did for VDV, Dragusin and Bergvall

Oh, I have no doubt we'll try.

We would be silly not to. He's one of the highest rated young footballers in world football.

Apologies where am I looking ? His 11goal season at Stugart ?

Didn’t he miss the 22-23 season ?
So you call him a one season wonder but you don't know how to scroll down on fbref. Colour me shocked.

97th percentile for goals p/90 in the Bundesliga last season.
88th percentile the season before.
99th percentile for goals p/90 in Ligue 1 with a goal every 0.8 games.
75th percentile the season before.

And it's not like he's just a goalscorer. He puts up consistently good numbers for pass completion, touches in the penalty box, expected assists, etc.

Back
Top Bottom