Summer Transfer thread - 2024

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I think its unlikely Palace will be relegated this season - currently 14th on 24 points after 23 games and 5 points above the drop.

And 6 teams below them, of which Burnley and Sheffield U look certain to go

14Palace2366112640-1424
15Brentford2164113136-522
16Luton2255123242-1020
17Notts Forest2355132741-1420
18Everton2385102630-419
19Burnley2334162447-2313
20Sheff U2324171959-4010
I can’t be the only one who is rooting for Luton to stay up?

Remarkable how they’ve turned it around after being the weakest looking of the three promoted initially. Think they have a great spirit going, plus trained there as a kid so biased a little.

I think its unlikely Palace will be relegated this season - currently 14th on 24 points after 23 games and 5 points above the drop.

And 6 teams below them, of which Burnley and Sheffield U look certain to go

14Palace2366112640-1424
15Brentford2164113136-522
16Luton2255123242-1020
17Notts Forest2355132741-1420
18Everton2385102630-419
19Burnley2334162447-2313
20Sheff U2324171959-4010
I agree it's unlikely, and that Sheff Utd & Burnley are probably down.

But Palace are currently in terrible form. Hodgson tried to play more expansively when he returned, but with Eze & Olise routinely injured, I think they're in real trouble unless he goes back to his most boring 442 system.

Anyway, if Palace were relegated, Eze & Olise would definitely be off. Given our long-standing links with Eze's agency, CAA, we'd have an inside track.

We don’t need to buy only Gallagher but he was a player apparently our scouts and Ange really wanted. We could end up with Ederson instead but ideally I want our club to buy their main targets as they are main targets for a reason, to improve the team. Gallagher is a high energy high press midfielder and without a fully fit Sarr we lack that. If it ends up with Ederson in the summer fine, long as we improve the squad.
Ange and scouts also apprently really wanted Johnson who was an opportunity purchase from an English club needing to make a sale. Now we have a 47m wide player who we need to improve on if we're going to improve. Gallagher and Johnson are similar in a way, both pretty good PL players which is nothing to sniff at, but not really high end.

Ange and scouts also apprently really wanted Johnson who was an opportunity purchase from an English club needing to make a sale. Now we have a 47m wide player who we need to improve on if we're going to improve. Gallagher and Johnson are similar in a way, both pretty good PL players which is nothing to sniff at, but not really high end.
People wrote Richie off now look at him , I think Johnson will come good !

Dembele ish
He is. similar how they both started up top but both ended up deeper. If it’s true we’re looking for another midfielder in the summer, I’d like someone of his profile who can take the team up the pitch when we’re under it. Think that ball carrying ability especially away from home is important and think we’re lacking a bit in that area.

This is the squad we'll start the window with - and we have too many players ! The 5 players in RED are most likely to be sold

GK -Vicario/Forster/Austin
RB - Porro/Royal
CB - Romero/VDV/Dragusin, Phillips ?
LB - Udogie/Davies/Sessegnon
CM1 - Bissouma/Skipp/Hojbjerg
CM2 - Bentancur/Sarr/ Devine ?
CM3 - Maddison/Bergvall/Lo Celso
RW - Kulusevski/Johnson
LW – Werner (loan) Solomon/Gil
CF – Son/Richarlison/Veliz,

Using UEFA Squad rules :
19 overseas trained, 2 Club trained, 6 'Other HG', 1 u21's ) - Total 28 players un squad (but 4 'List A' players too many)m so we need to come back to 24 players

Club Trained (2) - Skipp, Austin (3rd GK) (Minimum 4 to get full 25 man squad)

Trained at Other Clubs affiliated to The FA and FAW (6) - Maddison, Johnson, Forster, Davies, Sessegnon, Phillips ?

U21’s (1) - Devine,

Overseas Trained (19) - Vicario, Porro, Royal, Romero, VDV, Udogie, Sarr, Bissouma, Bentancur, Hojbjerg, Lo Celso, Kulusevski, Gil, Solomon, Son, Richarlison, Veliz, Werner (loan), Bergvall.

Assuming we decide to convert Werner's loan into a permanent transfer (if he scores enough goals and creates assists) and we keep Phillips in the squad, to create space to bring in 1 new player - we need to sell 5 squad players - probably Sessegnon, Hojbjerg. Lo Celso, Gil and Solomon.

To bring in more players, we'd probably need to look at up grading Davies and/or Royal and./or Forster and/or other mainstream players.

We COULD create up to 3 extra places in UEFA squad by NOT including u21's Phillips, Bergvall and Veliz (all 3 could still play in PL as u21's).

And that's in addition to selling our 5 loaned out players - Ndombele, Rodon, Spence, Reguilon, and Tanganga

We can of course add as many u21 players to List B to increase size of squad (or buy one or two club trained players such as Cirkin)

So in summary, summer transfer window will be mainly about the OUTGOING players to create some squad places, space in wages budget etc - not going to be easy with most clubs in europe still saying they have no money. Probably only a few incomings

People wrote Richie off now look at him , I think Johnson will come good !
Why?
This is the squad we'll start the window with - and we have too many players ! The 5 players in RED are most likely to be sold

RB - Porro/Royal
RW - Kulusevski/Johnson

Using UEFA Squad rules :
19 overseas trained, 2 Club trained, 6 'Other HG', 1 u21's ) - Total 28 players un squad (but 4 'List A' players too many)m so we need to come back to 24 players

Trained at Other Clubs affiliated to The FA and FAW (6) - Maddison, Johnson, Forster, Davies, Sessegnon, Phillips ?

U21’s (1) - Devine,

Overseas Trained (19) - Vicario, Porro, Royal, Romero, VDV, Udogie, Sarr, Bissouma, Bentancur, Hojbjerg, Lo Celso, Kulusevski, Gil, Solomon, Son, Richarlison, Veliz, Werner (loan), Bergvall.

Assuming we decide to convert Werner's loan into a permanent transfer (if he scores enough goals and creates assists) and we keep Phillips in the squad, to create space to bring in 1 new player - we need to sell 5 squad players - probably Sessegnon, Hojbjerg. Lo Celso, Gil and Solomon.

To bring in more players, we'd probably need to look at up grading Davies and/or Royal and./or Forster and/or other mainstream players.

We COULD create up to 3 extra places in UEFA squad by NOT including u21's Phillips, Bergvall and Veliz (all 3 could still play in PL as u21's).

And that's in addition to selling our 5 loaned out players - Ndombele, Rodon, Spence, Reguilon, and Tanganga

We can of course add as many u21 players to List B to increase size of squad (or buy one or two club trained players such as Cirkin)

So in summary, summer transfer window will be mainly about the OUTGOING players to create some squad places, space in wages budget etc - not going to be easy with most clubs in europe still saying they have no money. Probably only a few incomings
they will be loaned or released, not sold. All can be replaced as squad players by young players - they offer nothing, wage thieves. two first teamers to come in is fine

He is. similar how they both started up top but both ended up deeper. If it’s true we’re looking for another midfielder in the summer, I’d like someone of his profile who can take the team up the pitch when we’re under it. Think that ball carrying ability especially away from home is important and think we’re lacking a bit in that area.
I think they are looking at Bergvall in CM next season though.

I think they are looking at Bergvall in CM next season though.
Think he’ll get some minutes but don’t expect him to play a big part next season although if he shows he’s good enough wouldn’t rule it out. Just going by okeefe saying they want another central midfielder. Just hope it’s not Gallagher tbh.

RB - Porro/Royal
RW - Kulusevski/Johnson

Using UEFA Squad rules :

U21’s (1) - Devine,

Devine & Scarlett are both 19, so they won't be taking Club Trained slots next season.

It probably means Skipp has to stay for squad depth, & we might even go with both Austin and Whiteman as the 2 back up keepers, as both are Club Trained.

Is there any way we can get to 4 Club Trained? Santiago will be over 21, butt hasn't played a minute of first team football, so we have no idea if he's got enough quality to play competitive football for us.

The logic of these numbers mean I don't think we'll be signing Werner. He's even poorer technically than I thought from watching his clownshow days at the chavs. We can do much beter.

Devine & Scarlett are both 19, so they won't be taking Club Trained slots next season.

It probably means Skipp has to stay for squad depth, & we might even go with both Austin and Whiteman as the 2 back up keepers, as both are Club Trained.

Is there any way we can get to 4 Club Trained? Santiago will be over 21, butt hasn't played a minute of first team football, so we have no idea if he's got enough quality to play competitive football for us.

The logic of these numbers mean I don't think we'll be signing Werner. He's even poorer technically than I thought from watching his clownshow days at the chavs. We can do much beter.

Wonder if we can convert Skipp into a backup RB

Wonder if we can convert Skipp into a backup RB
Perhaps. But my suspicion as to why Ange uses Skipp as an 8 rather than a 6 is because he doesn't think he's composed enough to receive the ball under pressure & play his way out of trouble.

As we know, our FBs are inverted so frequently receive the ball with their backs to goal whilst being closed down..

I suspect Ange thinks Skipp does have the energy to press & make forward runs in an 8 role. The problem is he 's not as good technically as our other options there, & there's little end product in terms of goals or key passses.

Back
Top Bottom