Summer Transfer thread - 2024

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Thought he was their best player, just couldn't finish.

Guy runs about like a rabid dog.

I have no idea why I called him a rabid dog but I can't be arsed to think of anything else.

Gallagher is basically Chelsea’s midfield press. He is like their Lamela, all action but frustrating sometimes and without the injuries.

Apparently bottled a few good chances in the Final today. Would fit right in 😅

All jokes aside, Bergvall and Gallagher for Lo Celso and Hojberg isn’t bad as long as we don’t pay over 35m for Gallagher
Bergvall is 18 and he has been playing in the equivalent level to the Nationwide League. We won’t be seeing him in the first team next season.

No. More that if he’s our guy, but he’s gonna miss a few games due to injury, it’s not the end of the world given who we’d have as back up in that role

The concern is more than "a few games".

(Tbh I had these concerns about Maddison; but the fact is the price he came in at it was a viable gamble......... Even then we've still just ridden out a third of the season without him.)

The likes of Neto, Olise & Eze will cost top whack and the gamble (weight up price-tag vs how many games they'd potentially miss) is not worth it.... That is if we are going to get the 'level-up' that many people think these positions desperately need.

Spending 80m only to end up relying on the old player(s) would constitute a failed trf; the same way if they prove to be shit afterall or a lazy bum like Ndombele.

Last edited:
The concern is more than "a few games".

(Tbh I had these concerns about Maddison; but the fact is the price he came in at it was a viable gamble......... Even then we've still just ridden out a third of the season without him.)

The likes of Neto, Olise & Eze will cost top whack and the gamble (weight up price-tag vs how many games they'd potentially miss) is not worth it.... That is if we are going to get the 'level-up' that many people think these positions desperately need.

Spending 80m only to end up relying on the old player(s) would constitute a failed trf; the same was if they prove to be shit afterall or a lazy bum like Ndombele.

Agree

Neto isn’t even 80m good without injuries.

We definitely need a forward (or 2) that are a level above to compete for titles. Neto isn’t going to transform a top 4/5 team into a title winning team.

That player needs to be world class in the prem and we probably can’t get him without paying for a top wage earning player. What worries me is that we overpay on transfer fee for a mid level wage earner.

If that’s the idea it’s a low percentage play and I’d prefer we went after another young player with an elite ceiling.

View: https://x.com/centregoals/status/1761842109412508029?s=20

We need a player capable of shit like this. Do this and score consistently you are an 80m player.

Neto isn't this guy. Mitoma isn't this guy. Raphina definitely isn't this fucking player.

This fan base needs to expect this level from this club because they sold players like this in the past and now they have the stadium, the deal they made with the fans was to deliver on bringing this level back.

View: https://x.com/centregoals/status/1761842109412508029?s=20

We need a player capable of shit like this. Do this and score consistently you are an 80m player.

Neto isn't this guy. Mitoma isn't this guy. Raphina definitely isn't this fucking player.

This fan base needs to expect this level from this club because they sold players like this in the past and now they have the stadium, the deal they made with the fans was to deliver on bringing this level back.

I’ve said this before, I’m a huge fan of what Leao is capable of, the problem is he’s still a bit inconsistant in terms of producing it and the PL isn’t going to make that easier. He is also very lazy without the ball.

I think playing in our 433 as the wide left forward would probably suit him better than the ALM role he has at Milan, but Ange would still have to get him him working harder and smarter without the ball.

Someone like Mitoma isn’t going to give you as many wow moments but is going to help the team and attack more consistently.

Leao can also play as a 9. So there is that too.

crouch was decent 4 us at the time
12 goals and 18 assists in 72 PL matches is woeful for a striker. You can't say he improved our general play, we would play it nice along the ground for the first 15 mins of games and if that wasn't working we were just pinging it to the gangly bastard up front. We massively improved when Adebayor replaced Crouch, and he wasn't even that good for us, but I remember looking at Ade like he was prime Drogba when he came in and relieved us from the misery of watching that lanky bastard fail to successfully challenge for a single header without turning over possession or giving up a foul. I think there's a lot of revisionist history with Crouch because he's a nice bloke and he has an affinity for Spurs, and he scored *that* goal against City that got us into the CL, but he was absolute dogshit. I think in the last 20 years or so we have only had 2 or 3 strikers worse than him for us, probably Bent, Soldado(if you even bother to include him) and Rebrov. I thought we always looked miles better with Pavlyuchenko on the pitch when Crouch was out the team because the team had to play through midfield with no human skyscraper to aim for with a long ball. Not to mention Pav was a far better natural finisher, just didn't quite have the reading of the game to pull off the languid style of play he had, he was like a budget Berbatov tbh.

12 goals and 18 assists in 72 PL matches is woeful for a striker. You can't say he improved our general play, we would play it nice along the ground for the first 15 mins of games and if that wasn't working we were just pinging it to the gangly bastard up front. We massively improved when Adebayor replaced Crouch, and he wasn't even that good for us, but I remember looking at Ade like he was prime Drogba when he came in and relieved us from the misery of watching that lanky bastard fail to successfully challenge for a single header without turning over possession or giving up a foul. I think there's a lot of revisionist history with Crouch because he's a nice bloke and he has an affinity for Spurs, and he scored *that* goal against City that got us into the CL, but he was absolute dogshit. I think in the last 20 years or so we have only had 2 or 3 strikers worse than him for us, probably Bent, Soldado(if you even bother to include him) and Rebrov. I thought we always looked miles better with Pavlyuchenko on the pitch when Crouch was out the team because the team had to play through midfield with no human skyscraper to aim for with a long ball. Not to mention Pav was a far better natural finisher, just didn't quite have the reading of the game to pull off the languid style of play he had, he was like a budget Berbatov tbh.

Harsh.... Especially to the point of calling him a bastard.

He also had 7G / 2A in 9 CL starts (+1 x 4min sub appearance) too.... That's basically 1 x G/A per game.

Then there's that 72 EPL games...... He only made 42 starts....... Per min in the league he got 1 x G/A every 141mins in the league.... That's not super prolific but clearly useful.

Just listen to Van Der Vaart talk about how much he used to like playing alongside him.... There was clearly more to him that just stats.

I’ve said this before, I’m a huge fan of what Leao is capable of, the problem is he’s still a bit inconsistant in terms of producing it and the PL isn’t going to make that easier. He is also very lazy without the ball.

I think playing in our 433 as the wide left forward would probably suit him better than the ALM role he has at Milan, but Ange would still have to get him him working harder and smarter without the ball.

Someone like Mitoma isn’t going to give you as many wow moments but is going to help the team and attack more consistently.

Leao can also play as a 9. So there is that too.

Leao is the best example of what we need without saying HE is what we need.

He might work but what he’s capable of is exactly what would work.

Mitoma would be a good a good player for us but not one that takes us from challenging Top 4 to challenging for titles.

It’s funny though because you you look at his average Doku really is
, then the 90m chavski spunked on Ukraine Bolt and you realize how hard it is to find the player that we need.

Mitoma would be a good a good player for us but not one that takes us from challenging Top 4 to challenging for titles.

, then the 90m chavski spunked on Ukraine Bolt and you realize how hard it is to find the player that we need.

Leao is a very lazy fucker off the ball which I imagine would be an issue for Ange. On it he’s incredible at times (unplayable!) but not as consistent as his potential price tag would suggest.

Why do you think we need an x factor player in that position?

Harsh.... Especially to the point of calling him a bastard.

He also had 7G / 2A in 9 CL starts (+1 x 4min sub appearance) too.... That's basically 1 x G/A per game.

Then there's that 72 EPL games...... He only made 42 starts....... Per min in the league he got 1 x G/A every 141mins in the league.... That's not super prolific but clearly useful.

Just listen to Van Der Vaart talk about how much he used to like playing alongside him.... There was clearly more to him that just stats.
VDV will have liked playing with him because teams marked up on him and gave VDV space to be the main man in our attack, that doesn't mean having Crouch in the side made us a better team, it means the team suited VDV more with Crouch in it. We had a very good team behind Crouch; Modric, Bale (more in the 2nd season but also towards the end of the 1st), VDV, Lennon when he was good, our first XI was better than Liverpool's when Suarez got there and he absolutely revolutionised them. I think we could have been in the top 4 a lot more comfortably and potentially even flirting with the title during Redknapp's reign if we hadn't pissed away so much money signing back Keane and Defoe in his first January then bringing Crouch in the following summer. A combined £39m or so and none of them really performed the job we needed of them at the time. I often think about what might have been if it had been us actually signing an Aguero or Suarez with that team behind them.

Back
Top Bottom