Summer Transfer thread - 2024

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Why are we talking about closing the gap on City?
Should be the primary objective, no?!

What top talent are we attracting without Champs league and an unproven manager ?
Fair point, it's tough. Still doable, though...gotta pay the right money & sell them the right message.

Winning Europa would be a n outstanding season. Sign me up right now.
Of course...provided we do alright in the league too ie top 5.

So far, everyone here seems to want a new LB, RB, CD, AM, DM, LW, RW, Striker.
And they've all have to be top shelf ready to start. The only one missing is GK, which I think we need,

What would you pay for a top shelf player? Let's assume an average of $50m.
8 new players at $50m equals $400m.

Not going to happen.

Let's assume 4 top shelf players = $200m.

We have to prioritise the players we're going for.

Defence
Emerson is apparently going.
MVD can cover LB.
So we need a versatile player who can cover RB and CD. - $50m

Forwards
Son and Werner are good enough to cover LW.
Definitely need a striker. - $50m
Right side is a bit more difficult. Hopefully, Johnson improves next season and Kulu is probably better used as a second striker, so no comment.

Midfield
This is where we were let down last season. There was no connection from defence to attack and vice versa.
We need another AM to challenge Maddison and perhaps cover RW - $50m
Definitely need a new DM. -$50m

All up $200m.
Surely we can afford that.

That's what I'm expecting us to end with at this point and exactly why Werner was stupid to me.

Johnson is a similar stye to Son and if we have him, we didn't need another similar player with Werner. Werner was a loan to cover Son during Asiacup. Now he's just in the way and smacks of the easiest and cheapest deal to do.

Hope I'm wrong.

If we did pick up Nusa on top of s striker then I can see some positives there. I'll take that as a light to cling on to but rumours are Palace are very hot on Nusa.
Can't see why we are not more in for Nusa, (unless we are, under the radar). Young, huge potential and not too expensive.

He is a very exciting prospect in general, but I would think he is also very well suited for Angeball with his speed and good technical abilities

Usually see things similarly to you on most things but Eze is the exact type of talent that City love to hoover up.
That wasn't a diss on Eze. He's a very good player for sure, though I'm not as excited as others about him joining. All I'm saying is, no matter how special he is/may become, it'll take more than the lad to turn us into proper title challengers. The gap to City & co is huge...and I ain't talking just number of points.

Gray and Bergvall are players that we sign now or they are way out of our bracket. Both of them fully capable of having Dele like break through seasons.
Yeah the financial thing makes sense...unless we splash more than circa 20 mil on the former. I do feel Bergvall could take the PL by storm next season, same as Dele did them years ago...but that's probably the uber optimist in me talking. Say we sign both, we must be reasonable as a fanbase and not have huge expectations cause it's a big friggin jump from Champo & Sweden to the mighty PL.

David is the one where I get what you mean. I’d still prefer we went Openda or even that Marmoush guy you are excited about but there is something in David’s profile and age that might end up being what we need.
David is a good player, no doubt. Could do far worse as a CF signing and say we got him in, for me he even starts ahead of Richy. My original point stands, though...Eze & David would be nice additions, sure, but is that enough to genuinely challenge for the league next season? IMHO no, it ain't. But that's okay, I know my club, what we're willing to do/not and where we belong in the rankings...despite what our GM and HC may tell the outside world. Win me the FA Cup and/or Europa + finish in the top 4-5 and I'd be happy as Larry.

Can't see why we are not more in for Nusa, (unless we are, under the radar). Young, huge potential and not too expensive.

He is a very exciting prospect in general, but I would think he is also very well suited for Angeball with his speed and good technical abilities

Have to admit the Nusa link pops up in my head every now and then. I really doubt Lange wants to see a Nordic talent like that go anywhere else.

Let's see what happens with that.

Playing for a shit team in a league dominated with teams who play dogshit football is not beneficial to anyone though.
Oxford Utd aren't a shit team. And the Champo isn't dominated by teams who play dogshit football. I don't think you watch either much...

I watched the U's live a few times last season (and a few more on the telly) and their footy was largely impressive. They have a young, forward-thinking manager who comes from the City Group. It's clear he likes his team to play attacking football, some of the patterns of play were beautiful to watch. They were the 4th highest scorers in League One. I honestly don't think they're gonna come up and play 11 men behind the ball like scared sissies. Yeah some games they may have to be pragmatic, but more often than not I think they'll give it a right go. So if we can send Donley and another kid or two that way, I'm all for it. They'll get gametime under a ballsy manager with a background not that dissimilar to the big fella in our dugout.

Leicester had a slump towards the end of the season, but before that they were very good...their HC now at Chelsea. Southampton under Martin were defo fun to watch. Leeds scored goals for fun. Ipswich were a breath of fresh air...their HC was wanted by friggin big clubs.

So far, everyone here seems to want a new LB, RB, CD, AM, DM, LW, RW, Striker.
And they've all have to be top shelf ready to start. The only one missing is GK, which I think we need,

What would you pay for a top shelf player? Let's assume an average of $50m.
8 new players at $50m equals $400m.

Not going to happen.

Let's assume 4 top shelf players = $200m.

We have to prioritise the players we're going for.

Defence
Emerson is apparently going.
MVD can cover LB.
So we need a versatile player who can cover RB and CD. - $50m

Forwards
Son and Werner are good enough to cover LW.
Definitely need a striker. - $50m
Right side is a bit more difficult. Hopefully, Johnson improves next season and Kulu is probably better used as a second striker, so no comment.

Midfield
This is where we were let down last season. There was no connection from defence to attack and vice versa.
We need another AM to challenge Maddison and perhaps cover RW - $50m
Definitely need a new DM. -$50m

All up $200m.
Surely we can afford that.
An option for CB might be to take Rodon back, as 4th choice CB. At least until January, I'd be ok with that. I think I read somewhere that Dragusin can play RB.

Drăgușin has also played as a right-back on occasion. Acording to his Wikipage.

Last edited:

Nusa is very much a 'project' still - and only completed about 4 x 90 minutes in Belgium league with a few injuries (probably the effect of moving to a more physically demanding league - so if he moves to PL which is a much more physically demanding league than Belgium, expect more niggling injuries) and lots of subbing on or off.

Takes up one of only 17 overseas trained player spots too, so restricts who else we can bring in.

Whilst not totally against him, I'd prefer Ange to give opportunities to some of the Spurs u21's who would only take up u21 or otherwise unused 'club trained' places - Spurs u21's dominated PL2 last season.

If anyone catches Levy looking in the bargain bucket give him a good hard kick up the bollocks
You just know Levy is that guy who goes to Sainsbury's Asda, heads straight for that corner where they throw all the expiring soon shit, goes to the till and still asks begs for a further discie on his 17p loaf of bread.

That wasn't a diss on Eze. He's a very good player for sure, though I'm not as excited as others about him joining. All I'm saying is, no matter how special he is/may become, it'll take more than the lad to turn us into proper title challengers. The gap to City & co is huge...and I ain't talking just number of points.

I don't think any one player can turn us into challengers. What I did see last year was how far we fell off when Maddison and the CBs got injured and then when Maddison struggled to come back from his injury. I think Maddison will be 100% back for next season but I also think he picks up a knock again and misses a few weeks at some point. If we swap out an unavailable GLC for Eze, now we don't fall off a cliff again. I think we lost 5 straight after Maddison and VDV got hurt vs Chelsea. If Eze and now Dragusin means those 5 losses are 6-9 points instead of 5 losses, then we are getting somewhere.

Yeah the financial thing makes sense...unless we splash more than circa 20 mil on the former. I do feel Bergvall could take the PL by storm next season, same as Dele did them years ago...but that's probably the uber optimist in me talking. Say we sign both, we must be reasonable as a fanbase and not have huge expectations cause it's a big friggin jump from Champo & Sweden to the mighty PL.

We definitely need to be reasonable. Bergvall and Gray are signings where you have hopes but no expectations. Our business this summer needs to be done in a way where we don't NEED them to have Dele breakthrough but if either of them do, then it takes us up a level. Take Gray for example, if he gets some minutes at #6 and some other minutes as an inverted RB, then we don't need him to do anything game-changing. Same for Bergvall playing as an 8 if we picked up Eze.

I am no football scout but have seen a load of highly rated talents come and go and in other sports I'm pretty good at telling the difference between a kid with an elite ceiling and kid who doesn't have an elite ceiling. Both Gray and Bergvall have something different about them, mate. Let's see though.

David is a good player, no doubt. Could do far worse as a CF signing and say we got him in, for me he even starts ahead of Richy. My original point stands, though...Eze & David would be nice additions, sure, but is that enough to genuinely challenge for the league next season? IMHO no, it ain't. But that's okay, I know my club, what we're willing to do/not and where we belong in the rankings...despite what our GM and HC may tell the outside world. Win me the FA Cup and/or Europa + finish in the top 4-5 and I'd be happy as Larry.

Yeah so we agree here because if we are talking about a forward signing where you have serious confidence they can make you a challenger then we are talking about Isak or Rodrygo or a Kvaratshkelia... players of that ilk. We both know our club and we both know that ain't happening.

David starts over Richy for me as well but the competition should make them both better and make them both more available. If you know that you lose your spot when you get injured, maybe you have the extra discipline to get more sleep and not eat that cheeseburger. Maybe you make sure to not miss that yoga session or whatever. Competition does amazing things to humans in general. We need it and it would be worth another 5 points at least IMO.

The only final point that I would say about David or any other striker is that maybe having Eze on the LW gives you the out ball to get up the pitch and play against defenses and also the ability to link the MF and forwards. That could allow you to move Son back into the middle and in that case you have Son and Richy at #9 and you can then sign another wide player. We would both love that to be Williams but if he's off the board, would a Kubo or a Neto with Son at CF get us closer to a title race than David at CF and Son at LW?

Oxford Utd aren't a shit team. And the Champo isn't dominated by teams who play dogshit football. I don't think you watch either much...

I watched the U's live a few times last season (and a few more on the telly) and their footy was largely impressive. They have a young, forward-thinking manager who comes from the City Group. It's clear he likes his team to play attacking football, some of the patterns of play were beautiful to watch. They were the 4th highest scorers in League One. I honestly don't think they're gonna come up and play 11 men behind the ball like scared sissies. Yeah some games they may have to be pragmatic, but more often than not I think they'll give it a right go. So if we can send Donley and another kid or two that way, I'm all for it. They'll get gametime under a ballsy manager with a background not that dissimilar to the big fella in our dugout.

Leicester had a slump towards the end of the season, but before that they were very good...their HC now at Chelsea. Southampton under Martin were defo fun to watch. Leeds scored goals for fun. Ipswich were a breath of fresh air...their HC was wanted by friggin big clubs.

I watch the Championship, it's a fucking dreadful level of football. Absolutely dreadful. But that's the charm of it. Competitively dreadful.

Don't watch League One as I imagine it's fucking 10x worse. My estimations of Oxford may have been low, but they're favourites for relegation for a reason.

Sending Devine to Port Vale was stupid and the Plymouth loan was pretty shit too. Not as bad as sending Scarlett to Ipswich of course. It's only defenders that can get away with loans to shit clubs. Phillips for example would have learnt alot playing for a shit team expected to defend each week.

We're awful at sending our players out on loan. Usually sent to teams that don't play them and if that's not the case, rubbish teams that play rubbish football.

Get Donley abroad. Bundesliga or Eredivisie preferably.

I don't think any one player can turn us into challengers.
No, but 2 or 3 give you a much fatter chance. You & I both know we have more than enough dosh in the till to get them profiles in...but that we just choose not to.

Our business this summer needs to be done in a way where we don't NEED them to have Dele breakthrough but if either of them do, then it takes us up a level.
Spot on. Hopefully we've learned our lesson here. He has his critics but I really feel for Sessegnon...the kid is fragile, yes, but we should never have expected him to come in as a 17yo with one year of Champo footy under his belt and start week in week out for us. Also think that maybe, just maybe Dele's career at the top level would've lasted longer if he hadn't had to play that many games as a kid out of MK Dons.

We gotta be much better at managing our yoot, including loans as Starks Starks and I been discussing.

We would both love that to be Williams but if he's off the board, would a Kubo or a Neto with Son at CF get us closer to a title race than David at CF and Son at LW?
I never wanna see Sonny in the middle ever again...unless it's to feed off beautiful pings by his one true love Harry Kane.

And I never wanna hear Neto's name again in the same sentence as Spurs.

Now I want to send them Hall and Lankshear as well and Donley :ange-lol:

No, but 2 or 3 give you a much fatter chance. You & I both know we have more than enough dosh in the till to get them profiles in...but that we just choose not to.

Spot on. Hopefully we've learned our lesson here. He has his critics but I really feel for Sessegnon...the kid is fragile, yes, but we should never have expected him to come in as a 17yo with one year of Champo footy under his belt and start week in week out for us. Also think that maybe, just maybe Dele's career at the top level would've lasted longer if he hadn't had to play that many games as a kid out of MK Dons.

We gotta be much better at managing our yoot, including loans as Starks Starks and I been discussing.

I never wanna see Sonny in the middle ever again...unless it's to feed off beautiful pings by his one true love Harry Kane.

And I never wanna hear Neto's name again in the same sentence as Spurs.

Why are you so against Neto?

Just the injuries? or you think the end product isn't there?

Back
Top Bottom