Summer Transfer thread - 2024

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Posted this is the Sess thread

People on here were trying to say that no club in the Prem would even entertain the option of having him
I hope that Palace works out for Ryan.

If I were in charge at Palace I'd give him a one year contract with a option for a second year. To see if he stays fit. Because when fit he did show promise so it was never a matter of lack of skill or drive with Ryan.

It's what Leeds have valued him at from the start.

Most of the guys like Yorkshire_Spurs Yorkshire_Spurs and I think it was Football Chap Football Chap were saying Leeds would never sell for less than 50m.

Market sets the price but if they think he's worth 30m plus Rodon, that kills 2 birds with 1 stone for me because we have so much to get done and he's a serious talent. We want conviction from the transfer guys... well this is what conviction looks like.

Obviously now the cheap bald one can spend 80m on a striker because he's signed 1 player for 2 positions.
I didn't think they were going to sell this summer so was slightly projecting what I thought the fee would be in a year or two but I said £40-£50m and that if we did go for him we could work Rodon in to the deal to bring the fee down which is pretty much what happened. Also said I would be fine with loaning him back, I don't think he's the final product yet so hopefully despite the big fee people will give him a bit of time to develop, still only 18. Said before, he's hard-working, great at tackling, has good passing, decent against a press and can ball-carry too and I think Ange will really like him. Played a lot of games at RB this season but I think his best position is in midfield so where he plays will probably depend on who else we bring in this summer. I think he's comfortable at DM but I think Ange would love his as a rotation 8 but all depends on where everyone else fits in. Really happy with this signing personally!

Its a lot of money but sometimes you have to take a chance. I'm old enough to remember a lot of fans incredulous that we spent £10m on a 17 yr old skinny fullback from Southampton.

What we really need now though is players that instantly upgrade the first team. Unless we improve that front 3 and add more creativity then we're stuffed.

All I read in this thread is how rich we are but then we make a signing the fee is too high…

:dembele:

I'd imagine it's something like 20m + add ons + Rodon.

We've leveraged the fact that Leeds want Rodon and Rodon wants Leeds to get the Championship YPOTY.

We've seen the likes of Bowen, Eze, Olise, Wharton come from the Championship and tear up the PL.

Can't complain that we missed out on those and also complain when we sign the next one.

I think most of the 40mil will be up front, Rodon in separate deal.

Leeds need cash now which is why the Brentford deal likely unfavourable.

Good deal for both clubs I reckon, which is often unlikely these days. If Skipp goes the other way on some deal later in the window, Leeds come back up.

funny-crying-to-laughing-african-small-guy-y7fpqbdbcm8w1ru9.gif

Strange. Thought Ramsey was in the same boat as Gallagher. With the financial deadline passing why would Villa sell him?

Because next Summer at this point it's likely they will be close to breaching again, the academy players they sold this Window will allow them to spend this Summer, it doesn't mean they're in the clear for future windows.

Keep repeating this message.
Well, yes and no... You normally pretty much ignore this bit of what he said when you are talking about potential signings:

"If Eze believes in himself then he will think he can send Maddison to the bench."

The point here is that if Eze believes that, then great, he may want to sign for us. But if he doesn't believe that then he won't. Also, every situation is different, it's not the same belief needed in every circumstance. For example, take Ivan Toney (just as an example I mean, I'm not saying we should or shouldn't sign him at all) - if we bid for him, he might well be confident that he can play more games than Richarlison; however if Bayern bid for him, he probably wouldn't think that he will get more games than Kane, so would probably be much more reluctant to sign for them. That doesn't mean he has no ambition or has a weak character etc, it just means that he knows one of those two opportunities will almost certainly give him more game time than the other, because the player he is competing with is much better at one club than at the other. He might aspire to be as good as Kane, but he probably wouldn't be foolish enough to think that he is. And of course at all clubs, some positions are more 'up for grabs' than others, depending on their current personnel. This time last summer, pretty much any central defender with 2 eyes and 2 legs could have pretty much guaranteed game time by signing for us- it just depends what each club needs at any one time.

TLDR: Players have agency, and will generally want moves that are in their best interests. That doesn't necessarily make them weak characters or lacking in ambition etc. So yes of course we want players to fight for a place in the side, and be confident that they are worth one, but we can't force them to sign, and it's always less likely they will do so if we already have a strong player in their preferred position.

I think Bissouma will be punted , smart money would be to try for Khephren Thuram or Youssouf Fofana who both have a year left in contract and would probably be available for the £20m mark. I like Thuram as he's more of a destroyer type but the more I see of Fofana I prefer his style , defensively like Kante everywhere smothering opponents but he's a top level progressive passer of the ball.

I believe you're spot on about young Arch.

Kephren Thuram isn’t a destroyer, he’s an 8.

Back
Top Bottom