Summer Transfer thread - 2024

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Well, yes and no... You normally pretty much ignore this bit of what he said when you are talking about potential signings:

"If Eze believes in himself then he will think he can send Maddison to the bench."

The point here is that if Eze believes that, then great, he may want to sign for us. But if he doesn't believe that then he won't. Also, every situation is different, it's not the same belief needed in every circumstance. For example, take Ivan Toney (just as an example I mean, I'm not saying we should or shouldn't sign him at all) - if we bid for him, he might well be confident that he can play more games than Richarlison; however if Bayern bid for him, he probably wouldn't think that he will get more games than Kane, so would probably be much more reluctant to sign for them. That doesn't mean he has no ambition or has a weak character etc, it just means that he knows one of those two opportunities will almost certainly give him more game time than the other, because the player he is competing with is much better at one club than at the other. He might aspire to be as good as Kane, but he probably wouldn't be foolish enough to think that he is. And of course at all clubs, some positions are more 'up for grabs' than others, depending on their current personnel. This time last summer, pretty much any central defender with 2 eyes and 2 legs could have pretty much guaranteed game time by signing for us- it just depends what each club needs at any one time.

TLDR: Players have agency, and will generally want moves that are in their best interests. That doesn't necessarily make them weak characters or lacking in ambition etc. So yes of course we want players to fight for a place in the side, and be confident that they are worth one, but we can't force them to sign, and it's always less likely they will do so if we already have a strong player in their preferred position.
People always assume other clubs or players don’t have agency. It’s amazing to see.

It’s a lot of money but like Palmer and Gordon, it’s great value if he plays well. Always a risk he’s a Sessegnon…
Very true, however people need to remember we can also spend millions ( Ndombele) and end up with a Dud player , Just spoke to my Leeds supporting mate and he said he will be a very good player - obviously thats just his opinion but Its nice to Know he is rated by Leeds fans!

Well, yes and no... You normally pretty much ignore this bit of what he said when you are talking about potential signings:

"If Eze believes in himself then he will think he can send Maddison to the bench."

The point here is that if Eze believes that, then great, he may want to sign for us. But if he doesn't believe that then he won't. Also, every situation is different, it's not the same belief needed in every circumstance. For example, take Ivan Toney (just as an example I mean, I'm not saying we should or shouldn't sign him at all) - if we bid for him, he might well be confident that he can play more games than Richarlison; however if Bayern bid for him, he probably wouldn't think that he will get more games than Kane, so would probably be much more reluctant to sign for them. That doesn't mean he has no ambition or has a weak character etc, it just means that he knows one of those two opportunities will almost certainly give him more game time than the other, because the player he is competing with is much better at one club than at the other. He might aspire to be as good as Kane, but he probably wouldn't be foolish enough to think that he is. And of course at all clubs, some positions are more 'up for grabs' than others, depending on their current personnel. This time last summer, pretty much any central defender with 2 eyes and 2 legs could have pretty much guaranteed game time by signing for us- it just depends what each club needs at any one time.

TLDR: Players have agency, and will generally want moves that are in their best interests. That doesn't necessarily make them weak characters or lacking in ambition etc. So yes of course we want players to fight for a place in the side, and be confident that they are worth one, but we can't force them to sign, and it's always less likely they will do so if we already have a strong player in their preferred position.

We only want the players that believe they can win their spot.

Also, pay them the right wages and 99% of players miraculously believe they can win their spot.

Its a lot of money but sometimes you have to take a chance. I'm old enough to remember a lot of fans incredulous that we spent £10m on a 17 yr old skinny fullback from Southampton.

What we really need now though is players that instantly upgrade the first team. Unless we improve that front 3 and add more creativity then we're stuffed.

Gray, Eze, Neto and a couple of prospects thrown in and I think this window is a step in the right direction.

The shame of it is that we clearly need a striker but nobody except for Gyokeres, Isak and Osimhen are sitting well with me and we won't be getting any of the above.

The big move would be Osimhen. I doubt we'll sign a striker this summer that fits the profile and status required.

We only want the players that believe they can win their spot.
Yes of course - but you often seem to come across as though you think all players are or should be confident that they can 'win their spot' in their preferred position at any club in the world if they are good players. You often seem to want us to sign a certain player and refuse to accept that he might not want to come. As per my example, that's not always the case.

Also, pay them the right wages and 99% of players miraculously believe they can win their spot.
This is pretty much the opposite of what you have said above. If a player isn't genuinely confident they can 'win their spot' but is just coming because we are paying them enough money, then that is absolutely not 'players that believe they can win their spot', and is not what we want at all.

Do you not see that your two comments above are a total contradiction of each other?

Back
Top Bottom