Supporting Tottenham in the 60s.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

First games in '66 honestly can't remember them ... first real memories were away at Chelsea 2-2 in '68 it was hot and I got very bad sunburn ... In '68 was going to home games regularly, always went to the bottom of the East stand (avoiding the sea of piss) wouldn't see my dad from kick-off until the end ... we used to meet up by the old East Stand tunnel entrance lower left. Did that through the redevelopment in the 70's when we moved to the shelf, then when seats came in we moved to the South East corner.
you started going in 66? Then you were DEFINITELY way too old to have that perverted avatar for so long

The thing that many newer fans will find it hard to believe is the lack of information in the early sixties. On Saturdays there was the scores for the pools on TV and if you missed that it was difficult to get the result until the next day's newspaper.
On weeknights you were lucky to get the results at the end of the late news but at my age I had to miss that and wait for the next days Newspaper.

Weeknights it was impossible to find out the results unless someone at the game called you. I remember one season I'd had a big bet with a gooner at school that QPR would finish above them in the league. I was so sure, I gave him far too generous odds. From then on till the end of the season QPR could hardly get a point. The last game of the season? QPR playing Goons midweek. one point separating them. He found out the result and gleefully told me to get the dosh ready next morning. I was sick to my stomach with working out how to get the money together. Next morning I picked up the paper in a daze and saw that QPR had done enough to finish ahead of them. Bastard!!

I also remember going to matches and if you waited at your end station long enough you could get the Evening News footie section with all the write ups of the London matches.

I was away at Uni in Scotland, and my parents would cut out the match reports and stick them in the post with their weekly letter. When Spurs got to the FA cup final, it was on at exactly the same time as the Scottish Cup final, you had to drive down to Berwick to find a pub telly showing us.

I became hooked watching the 1961 cup final against Leicester and funnily enough my first ever game was in 1964 at Leicester when John White scored the only goal which was his last appearance for us before his tragic accident

Venables couldn’t lace his boots tbh but a good manager

Weeknights it was impossible to find out the results unless someone at the game called you. I remember one season I'd had a big bet with a gooner at school that QPR would finish above them in the league. I was so sure, I gave him far too generous odds. From then on till the end of the season QPR could hardly get a point. The last game of the season? QPR playing Goons midweek. one point separating them. He found out the result and gleefully told me to get the dosh ready next morning. I was sick to my stomach with working out how to get the money together. Next morning I picked up the paper in a daze and saw that QPR had done enough to finish ahead of them. Bastard!!

I also remember going to matches and if you waited at your end station long enough you could get the Evening News footie section with all the write ups of the London matches.

I was away at Uni in Scotland, and my parents would cut out the match reports and stick them in the post with their weekly letter. When Spurs got to the FA cup final, it was on at exactly the same time as the Scottish Cup final, you had to drive down to Berwick to find a pub telly showing us.
l remember that news black out in the 70's .
I would be sent down to the newsagent on Saturday about 6.30 to wait for the evening news to arrive .A small crowd had gathered and we would all wait just to read the match reports .
Your only news was Grandstands 1 minute report around 4.55 and maybe the game would be shown on Match of the day .
That was it , if you missed those segments you had it . No radio football chat shows , absolutely nothing .
Teletext seemed revolutionary when it arrived in the early 90s ?

Up to the late 90s l can still remember hordes of men gathering in city centre Currys , Rumbelows , Dixon's etc . Pretending to look interested in the Tv's but just really waiting for scorelines to appear at the bottom of the screen .
We did walk in darkness but it was normal to us .

I have just dug out my old programes.

Pride of place is Bristol Rovers away (18th March 1978) which i got signed in the White Hart after the coach got back to Tottenham.
Neil McNabb. Terry Naylor. Ian Moores & Peter Taylor
&
Mansfield away (25th March 1978)
Steve Perryman. Colin Lee & Glenn Hoddle & one other which i simply cannot recall. Looks like Keith Osgood but im not sure he was in the team or even on the bench. Maybe he travelled? Dunno.

Now that's a claim to fame not many, if any, of us can boast.

Proper Spurs legend in every sense of the word.

I was certain that this was common knowledge on this forum, not that Blanchflower Blanchflower mentions it a lot. Fairly sure there was a thread or part of one on it.

Thought it was up there with where jimmyriggle jimmyriggle lives, Carlos Brigante’s golden folder, and Maria’s topless photo. (One for the old ‘uns on here).

Last edited:
I am a big Alan Gilzean fan, he was the consummate player for Spurs and he was the best header of the ball I have ever seen. Him and Greaves lethal!

My favourite ever duo up front for us

I was privileged to have watched them on numerous occasions

The ‘G’ men!

My old man was a regular from the double season on. Used to walk down with his mates. Managed to sneak off school for some of the afternoon matches (once he got a tap on his shoulders and turned round to find some of his teachers behind him, thought he was in trouble but they just told him to keep it quiet as the teachers had bunked off school too)

He was there when we beat Wednesday to win the league (if I've got that right) and claims he was on the pitch afterwards with everyone else.

Trouble is when your first team does the double it's all downhill from there, he's definitely got higher expectations than me for players. None of the later teams were up to that standard. Always goes on about Cliff Jones and his headers.

Think it was Terry Dyson (or one of the legends), used to go out with a girl that lived near my mum and dad in Shoreditch.

They used to see him waiting outside her house, imagine that now lol

Football was so so real back then .

I think the teams of back then would get mullered on fitness alone but when you look at the ball control and passing accuracy you can see that the overall skillset has increased phenomenally since then. The stand out players like Greaves and Dave McKay I think would adapt but most of the others just didn't possess the skills required today.
It all a nonsense anyway as it ignores the 60s team from having modern training, diets and science
Do you think so? I think defending has got better ,and as you said fitness.But the skillful players back then had to contend with wearing boots that were nowhere near as comfortable as today,and kicking a ball that (especially when wet) was like toe punting a cannon ball.Go back a few years before that,and the boots were like drill boots.
I sometimes think we don't give some of them old players the credit they deserve.

I was a child / teen through the sixties so the memories are not that great ...

Totally different from today, this was a boys outing. I would go with my dad and his mate who had a son same age as me, as time went on us kids would go with one or other parent, when work didn't allow both of them to go. Eventually we started going alone and we kept doing that until he sadly left us. We lived about a mile apart on seven sisters road, that doesn't sound far but meant different schools and social groups, so it set a pattern, in over forty years we only ever met up for football, looking back that's pretty weird.

The day was always the same we would walk to their house which was closer to the ground, normally this would be after lunch at home, but sometimes we'd lunch at their place, or very rarely have a meal in a cafe. Don't ever recall going in a pub with my dad until I was much older, having a few drinks before the game was just not a thing.

We would arrive at the ground at about 2pm, we were amongst the early arrivals and it was cash at the turnstile (the odd bunk over certainly happened for us kids although my dad always denied this) the two of us kids headed to the East Stand lower tier by the big entrance to the pitch, we tried to stand just to the left of that not right at the bottom because of the lakes of piss but petty low down, dad went on the shelf in the South East corner (where I ended up a ST holder for nearly 40 years)

If it rained we got wet, if it was sunny we got hot, it was always crowded but the surging wasn't to bad, still remember getting squashed on a regular basis ... around us were the same faces, all male, every single game, that hardly changed even from year to year, in fact if someone was missing you noticed it right away.

Have to be honest the games and the players all kinda blur together, Mullery stands out and of course Gilzean and Greaves because of the goals, like so many of us kids Mackay was my hero, I remember hearing about his leg break and crying ... both times ... when he came back he was our god ....

I do recall we never knew what was happening in other matches, not sure if we had an old style scoreboard that I couldn't see or we just didn't know ... Sports Service on Network Three was how we got our news, later to become Sport on 2 from the start of the 70's ...

In my hazy recollections the away fans just don't register, I certainly never went away for league games until the 70's, there were few if any police, few if any women, no real drinking and we didn't bother with the toilets, down the front we all had a newspaper or comic we rolled up ...

It was crowded, dirty, unsanitary but in my hazy old git memory it was feckin' brilliant.

My dad took me to my first Spurs game in 1958 when I was 7 years old.

It was the start of what was to be a sometimes painful journey of following the mighty Tottenham Hotspur.

My first painful experience occurred a few years later during the summer holidays.

Me and 3 other boys from The Hood were bored.Some bright spark came up with the idea of going to the Spurs training ground at Cheshunt ,watch the team train and collect a few autographs.

Sounded like a good plan so the next day 4 of us set off for sunny Cheshunt.

3 of us wearing shorts and 1 wearing long trousers.

Wr decided that the best method of approach was probably to sneak in at the back of the ground.

Less chance of us being spotted and thrown out.

Started making our way through the undergrowth heading towards the players we could see in the distance.

It took us a while to work out that we were walking through a patch of stinging nettles.
Not something you should be doing wearing short trousers.
To add insult to injury we realized that the first tram were not training that day.

I went to games with my dad until I started secondary school,when I started going with my school mates.
As close to the half way line below the shelf was our preferred spot.Getting into the ground by 1:30 normally achieved the objective.

Matches from that long ago do tend to merge in your mind unless there is something notable about them.

Tottenham v Aston Villa in March 1966 was one such game. Tottenham played superbly during the first half of that game and after the first few minutes of the second half were leading by 5 goals to 1.
It finished up 5=5 with us hanging on at the end. Great entertainment but we were lucky not to lose.

During the following season I started going to away matches outside of London.
Highlight for me was April 1967 FA cup semi final v Nottimgham Forest at Hillsborough.
We won 2-1 Frank Saul scoring one of the goals as he did in the final against the chavs.

Frank Saul was almost the forgotten man of that decade.
He made his debut during the double winning season playing 6 games and scoring 3 goals.
He was only 17 years old when he made his debut.
Sadly he never really fulfilled his early potential.

His reward for scoring two vital goals that helped us win the cup was to be transferred to Southampton as part of the deal that brought Martin Chivers to Tottenham.

All things bright and beautiful
All creatures great and small
All thing wise and wonderful
He gave us Frankie Saul

Onwards to January 1968

Drawn away to Man U in the cup

Chivers scored twice in 2-2 draw.
Replay tickets on sale Monday at 10am.

Monday morning came,went to school got my mark in the register left by the back door to go to join the queue for replay tickets.

Felt a tap on my shoulder turned around and found myself looking into the face of my deputy headmaster.He was not a happy man

Dragged me out of the queue.marched me back to school whilst giving me a lecture on how disappointed he was with me.Thought I might get away with a couple of detentions.No chance.Out came the cane.

Once again I suffered pain for my support of the mighty Tottenham Hotspur.

Two games in 1969 stand out in my memory.Only one of which involved us.

15th March 1969 WoolwichvSwindon league cup final

Myself and two of my Park Lane mates were there for extra time when Don Rogers took Woolwich apart on the mud heap that passed fora football pitch.

It was really hard not to cheer or laugh when the 3rd goal went in.
The misery surrounding us was incredible.
Grown men crying because they felt so humiliated.
It was truly magical.

Finally September 1969 away to Derby County\

We were shite deservedly hammered 5-0

Me and my mates just wanted to get back to London as quickly as possible.

A view not shared by lots of our fellow supporters.

I think we were about 20minutes out of Derby when we realized this train was not going to make it to London.

The train or what was left of the train limped in to Flitwick station where it came to a halt.

Probably waiting for the arrival of the PC Plodd and his merry men

The rest you probably know a few hundred of the train wreckers decided to go and see what damage they could do to a small Bedfordshire Town while the rest of us crossed the tracks and got a train to London.

Not Park Lames finest hour

Jimmy Greaves finest finisher I ever saw,Dave Mackay and Mike England two of the hardest men to have worn our shirt John White one of the most skillful Not forgetting the wonderful Cliff Jones.

Happy days
"Like" is not good enough for that story. Thanks - excellent read.

My dad took me to my first Spurs game in 1958 when I was 7 years old.

It was the start of what was to be a sometimes painful journey of following the mighty Tottenham Hotspur.

My first painful experience occurred a few years later during the summer holidays.

Me and 3 other boys from The Hood were bored.Some bright spark came up with the idea of going to the Spurs training ground at Cheshunt ,watch the team train and collect a few autographs.

Sounded like a good plan so the next day 4 of us set off for sunny Cheshunt.

3 of us wearing shorts and 1 wearing long trousers.

Wr decided that the best method of approach was probably to sneak in at the back of the ground.

Less chance of us being spotted and thrown out.

Started making our way through the undergrowth heading towards the players we could see in the distance.

It took us a while to work out that we were walking through a patch of stinging nettles.
Not something you should be doing wearing short trousers.
To add insult to injury we realized that the first tram were not training that day.

I went to games with my dad until I started secondary school,when I started going with my school mates.
As close to the half way line below the shelf was our preferred spot.Getting into the ground by 1:30 normally achieved the objective.

Matches from that long ago do tend to merge in your mind unless there is something notable about them.

Tottenham v Aston Villa in March 1966 was one such game. Tottenham played superbly during the first half of that game and after the first few minutes of the second half were leading by 5 goals to 1.
It finished up 5=5 with us hanging on at the end. Great entertainment but we were lucky not to lose.

During the following season I started going to away matches outside of London.
Highlight for me was April 1967 FA cup semi final v Nottimgham Forest at Hillsborough.
We won 2-1 Frank Saul scoring one of the goals as he did in the final against the chavs.

Frank Saul was almost the forgotten man of that decade.
He made his debut during the double winning season playing 6 games and scoring 3 goals.
He was only 17 years old when he made his debut.
Sadly he never really fulfilled his early potential.

His reward for scoring two vital goals that helped us win the cup was to be transferred to Southampton as part of the deal that brought Martin Chivers to Tottenham.

All things bright and beautiful
All creatures great and small
All thing wise and wonderful
He gave us Frankie Saul

Onwards to January 1968

Drawn away to Man U in the cup

Chivers scored twice in 2-2 draw.
Replay tickets on sale Monday at 10am.

Monday morning came,went to school got my mark in the register left by the back door to go to join the queue for replay tickets.

Felt a tap on my shoulder turned around and found myself looking into the face of my deputy headmaster.He was not a happy man

Dragged me out of the queue.marched me back to school whilst giving me a lecture on how disappointed he was with me.Thought I might get away with a couple of detentions.No chance.Out came the cane.

Once again I suffered pain for my support of the mighty Tottenham Hotspur.

Two games in 1969 stand out in my memory.Only one of which involved us.

15th March 1969 WoolwichvSwindon league cup final

Myself and two of my Park Lane mates were there for extra time when Don Rogers took Woolwich apart on the mud heap that passed fora football pitch.

It was really hard not to cheer or laugh when the 3rd goal went in.
The misery surrounding us was incredible.
Grown men crying because they felt so humiliated.
It was truly magical.

Finally September 1969 away to Derby County\

We were shite deservedly hammered 5-0

Me and my mates just wanted to get back to London as quickly as possible.

A view not shared by lots of our fellow supporters.

I think we were about 20minutes out of Derby when we realized this train was not going to make it to London.

The train or what was left of the train limped in to Flitwick station where it came to a halt.

Probably waiting for the arrival of the PC Plodd and his merry men

The rest you probably know a few hundred of the train wreckers decided to go and see what damage they could do to a small Bedfordshire Town while the rest of us crossed the tracks and got a train to London.

Not Park Lames finest hour

Jimmy Greaves finest finisher I ever saw,Dave Mackay and Mike England two of the hardest men to have worn our shirt John White one of the most skillful Not forgetting the wonderful Cliff Jones.

Happy days

I remember the papers reporting the transfers of Martin Harcourt Chivers, and Frank Landon Saul. Well posh . Great read, mate. :adethumbup:

I saw an interview with Venables in "Spurs greatest ever team".

When he was a young lad Jimmy G used to pick him up on match days and take him to lunch. Venables, being young and trying to make a good impression, ordered boiled chicken and pasta. Jimmy ordered roast beef, yorkshire pudding, roast potatoes, the lot.

Jimmy went out and scored a hattrick.

On 20 Sept 1961 it was Spurs 8 Gornik 1, first euro game at WHL after 2-4 defeat in Poland. Went on to beat Feyenoord and Dukla before going out v. Benfica in the semi.

Back
Top Bottom