TFC in Madrid

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Bored with my work so I thought you might like a language class.

Lesson one - Beer

Cerveza /therbetha/ is a generic word rarely used when ordering in a bar (just as asking for "a beer" in a pub in the UK is a bit strange).

This is a caña /canya/. It is about 25 cl.

clara-de-cerveza-296x300.jpg

Next up size-wise is a tubo /toobo/ or a doble /doblay/, about 33 cl

Here's one I drank earlier...

vaso-tubo-de-cerveza-300x300.jpg

Finally, and probably more appealingly, we have the jarra /hara/ which is normally 50-70 cl.

jarra-de-cerveza-300x300.jpg

If you want a bottle, then ask for a tercio /terthio/

A tercio de Mahou, pictured yesterday...

cerveza.png

If you want alcohol free, ask for a caña/tubo/jarra/tercio sin alcohol /sin alcol/. If you want a shandy , ask for a clara (pronounced as you would expect) or a clara grande . If you want it made with Fanta Lemon, ask for a clara de limón.

Pretty much all bars except Irish pubs and disco bars will give you something to eat - crisps, olives, some ham or chorizo, more exciting things sometimes. These are always free

Pretty much all bars except Irish pubs and disco bars will give you something to eat - crisps, olives, some ham or chorizo, more exciting things sometimes. These are always free

Spent a week in Grenada once... Didn't spend a penny on food the entire time.

If you're hungry... Have a beer. :)

Fabulous....

Last edited:
Not long lads! I’ve spoken to a few on here already about Thursday night, if you’re about and find a spurs heavy bar let me know, and vice versa. Let’s get some yidos congregating early doors

Hi guys, sorry if i break the rules of this forum, I'am new (and sorry for my english, im from Madrid).
If you had any cuestions about my city, ask me. I'm Real Madrid supporter, but i had Spurs in my heart ;)

Hi guys, sorry if i break the rules of this forum, I'am new (and sorry for my english, im from Madrid).
If you had any cuestions about my city, ask me. I'm Real Madrid supporter, but i had Spurs in my heart ;)

Jolly decent of you. 👍

On a side note, can you keep your grubby mitts off of Eriksen? Many thanks.....

Bored with my work so I thought you might like a language class.

Lesson one - Beer

Cerveza /therbetha/ is a generic word rarely used when ordering in a bar (just as asking for "a beer" in a pub in the UK is a bit strange).

This is a caña /canya/. It is about 25 cl.

clara-de-cerveza-296x300.jpg

Next up size-wise is a tubo /toobo/ or a doble /doblay/, about 33 cl

Here's one I drank earlier...

vaso-tubo-de-cerveza-300x300.jpg

Finally, and probably more appealingly, we have the jarra /hara/ which is normally 50-70 cl.

jarra-de-cerveza-300x300.jpg

If you want a bottle, then ask for a tercio /terthio/

A tercio de Mahou, pictured yesterday...

cerveza.png

If you want alcohol free, ask for a caña/tubo/jarra/tercio sin alcohol /sin alcol/. If you want a shandy , ask for a clara (pronounced as you would expect) or a clara grande . If you want it made with Fanta Lemon, ask for a clara de limón.

Does pointing and shouting loudly not work anymore?

There an Irish Pub called James Joyce which has a private room for 20-40 with a projector 10 mins walk from Plaza Colon - TFC booking if it’s available?

Sounds good. Am I ok with my minimal (non existent) Espanol ?

I think it's a universal thing, that if you can be seen to make an effort the locals will meet you the rest of the way....

(Mind you in Berlin they seem to favour the 'prolonging the fail only to eventually reveal "it's ok I speak english" routine'. LOL)

I think it's a universal thing, that if you can be seen to make an effort the locals will meet you the rest of the way....

(Mind you in Berlin they seem to favour the 'prolonging the fail only to eventually reveal "it's ok I speak english" routine'. LOL)

Agree as a general rule. France being the exception. Thank fuck this final isn't in Paris!

Agree as a general rule. France being the exception. Thank fuck this final isn't in Paris!

Been a long time since I've been to France....

I suspect it's a special reception reserved for the English.

Sounds good. Am I ok with my minimal (non existent) Espanol ?
You'll be fine, a lot more English is spoken nowadays, you could always download an app - I use Linguee (free, no ads, not resource hungry) as you can put in sentences and phrases, not just words. The translations come from bilingual websites including the EU, UN, major companies and so on, it's a godsend

screenshot.jpg

You'll be fine, a lot more English is spoken nowadays, you could always download an app - I use Linguee (free, no ads, not resource hungry) as you can put in sentences and phrases, not just words. The translations come from bilingual websites including the EU, UN, major companies and so on, it's a godsend

screenshot.jpg

Nice... Combine with text to speech and us ignorant Brits can just bark orders at our hosts via our mobiles. :adethumbup:

Hi mate, planning to meet at the fanzone or nearby in the morning and then decide on a bar somewhere if it turns out to be shit. I'm setting up a whatsapp group in a couple of days and then arranging the meet up. As for the match was planning on James Joyce but hearing the scousers have that one....there's a nice area with a few bars near Alonso Martinez station not far from the fanzone. Its called Plaza Santa Barbara. Thats the alternative for the game. I'll inbox you.
[/QUOT
Hi mate, planning to meet at the fanzone or nearby in the morning and then decide on a bar somewhere if it turns out to be shit. I'm setting up a whatsapp group in a couple of days and then arranging the meet up. As for the match was planning on James Joyce but hearing the scousers have that one....there's a nice area with a few bars near Alonso Martinez station not far from the fanzone. Its called Plaza Santa Barbara. Thats the alternative for the game. I'll inbox you.
👍 Count me in too if thats cool!I'll be travelling from Lisbon on the sleeper train, arrive Madrid 8am Sat morn

Back
Top Bottom