The best player we've let go who we absolutely didn't need to

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Amid the Modric and Berbatov sagas which we all KNEW were going to end badly for us, if not for them, who are the players who moved on when they didn't particularly want to and we didn't particularly need to sell them?

In recent memory, mine would be Kevin-Prince Boateng. Doing pretty damn well at Milan (and basically gave us a massive 'fuck you' at Wembley) and a player of clear quality who was never really given a chance.

Yours?

tottenham-hotspur-kazuyuki-toda-546-merlin-s-f.a.-premier-league-04-autograph-edition-sticker-53009-p.jpg

Serious answer, not sure where KPB would've played tbh, he's also pretty erratic. Would he have played the VdV role?

This list could be endless.

Ginola is the main one for me.

Recently though....
Did we really need to sell crouchy?
Gio did Santos was never given a proper chance.

Serious answer, not sure where KPB would've played tbh, he's also pretty erratic. Would he have played the VdV role?

Yeah, I think that's where he needed to be but given VdV's injury record, it's not like he would have been a bit part player AND it would have been a further commitment to the 4-2-3-1 that Redknapp developed when Rafa was fit.

I don't think the KPB theory holds true. The man was erratic, not much of a team player and never really performed to a consistent level when he played for Spurs (which may be because he was used inconsistently, but nevertheless his performances weren't good enough).

We haven't done too badly from selling him - the best outcome for both parties IMO.

PA-483858.jpg

Souness in the pre-dodgy tash years. Played for the Youth team back in the early 70s but got homesick and fucked off to Middlesbrough. With Hoddle coming through the ranks a few years later, a central midfield of those two would have been amazing.

I know the arrivals of Scotty and Sandro rendered him redundant but I'll always have a place in my heart for Wilson Palacios. Adding his midfield presence was a huge step towards steadying the ship during our spell in the relegation zone a few years back, and his performances against Milan showed he was still a decent enforcer right up to the end of his time with us.

Palacios was basically spent when we let him go though, its not like we have really missed him since.

I agree with Mendes, always thought Pedro the Pirate was very under rated.

Zamora was another one, decent striker - of just the style we have been missing for seasons as well. Would never have been a star for us but would certainly have been a very useful option.

With that in mind I always wished Mido wasnt bonkers as well, loved him when he first arrived.

I fucking loved Palacios for a while but sadly it seems he has lost his way a bit. I think he had a knee injury or something and just has never kicked on at Stoke.

Back
Top Bottom