The Impact of Covid on Spurs & Football

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Cue shit loads of legal challenges.
There would be 100% if it made the difference for a CL place but in this case, it doesn't. Also, neither them or us would even qualify for EL (I see that as a positive). I think it's approx £1m per position, so we lose that so I wouldn't think the legal fees incurred would be worth doing it.

Nonetheless, to have these cunts finish above us would be a massive kick in the nuts. But we've been absolutely shite this season so can only look at ourselves. Honestly, every club that is currently above us has played better than us and has proved they have been better than us in our head to head against them. Only City have failed against us and in both games against them, they annihilated us (Wolves too).

There would be 100% if it made the difference for a CL place but in this case, it doesn't. Also, neither them or us would even qualify for EL (I see that as a positive). I think it's approx £1m per position, so we lose that so I wouldn't think the legal fees incurred would be worth doing it.

Nonetheless, to have these cunts finish above us would be a massive kick in the nuts. But we've been absolutely shite this season so can only look at ourselves. Honestly, every club that is currently above us has played better than us and has proved they have been better than us in our head to head against them. Only City have failed against us and in both games against them, they annihilated us (Wolves too).
The teams relegated because of it however would probably kick up a fair bit of legal work that could delay the start of the next season.

I seriously doubt Villa would be willing to accept that result. Yes they're 19th but have played one fewer game than everyone else and could potentially move up to 16th if they won that game.

Relegation would be so harsh.

Obviously you could get into even more nitty gritty though in terms of strength of schedule, home/away splits, etc. I just don't see a fair way to do it.

Scrap the season, promote teams up the leagues and do not relegate anyone. Then over the next 3 seasons we'll slowly weed out the additional teams. Basically relegate 4 teams a year until we are back to 20 in the PL.

For European spots, I don't have a great solution though. Using this partial season seems unfair, using last season seems unfair. Honestly, maybe the best thing is to scrap Europe for a season. It probably will never happen due to $$$$$ but with this virus potentially cropping back up again and the necessity of international travel, it seems wise to not bother. The schedule is already tight as is. Let next season be about re-setting the domestic competitions and then figure out Europe. Can't forget Euros are now next summer as well, followed by the World Cup.

Seems the most fair to me.

I seriously doubt Villa would be willing to accept that result. Yes they're 19th but have played one fewer game than everyone else and could potentially move up to 16th if they won that game.

Relegation would be so harsh.

Obviously you could get into even more nitty gritty though in terms of strength of schedule, home/away splits, etc. I just don't see a fair way to do it.

Scrap the season, promote teams up the leagues and do not relegate anyone. Then over the next 3 seasons we'll slowly weed out the additional teams. Basically relegate 4 teams a year until we are back to 20 in the PL.

For European spots, I don't have a great solution though. Using this partial season seems unfair, using last season seems unfair. Honestly, maybe the best thing is to scrap Europe for a season. It probably will never happen due to $$$$$ but with this virus potentially cropping back up again and the necessity of international travel, it seems wise to not bother. The schedule is already tight as is. Let next season be about re-setting the domestic competitions and then figure out Europe. Can't forget Euros are now next summer as well, followed by the World Cup.

Seems the most fair to me.

Or just replay the season from the start!

Much easier, less administration and less chance of legal challenges.

Sheff United have been stubborn bastards, that's all.... We've scored 17 more goals than them and won the same amount of games....

We've won more than Arse & Wolves too.

Not saying that we've been great.... It's just abeen a shit-fest of a season really.

But then he says they’d prefer that. Not that they’d enforce it. Uefa are just passing the buck to each country’s FA.

It's always been fully down to a countries League or FA to decide who gets the European places - hence you can allocate places to cup competitions, even if the winner gets relegated or isn't in the top division.

Surely Villa and Bournemouth would massively go after the PL through the courts

Villa have a game in hand
Bournemouth relegated by a single goal

Decades ago they'd just accept it, but not now its worth hundreds of millions.

alternatively the "not so fast, Manchester City" clause.

Whether the season is finished or not, surely the terms of their punishment should remain unaffected.

If they're deemed eligible to qualify (due to the original FFP punishment being appealed) then what is there to argue with regard to their second place finish?

Surely Villa and Bournemouth would massively go after the PL through the courts

Villa have a game in hand
Bournemouth relegated by a single goal

Decades ago they'd just accept it, but not now its worth hundreds of millions.

Whatever way you slice it there's a number of court cases at the end of the tunnel.

Even if they decide not to relegate then the additional funds generated by remaining in the CL puts the champo teams at a disadvantage in terms of promotion/relegation efforts later down the line (i.e. Say Norwich stay up and get relegated next year they'll be all the richer for it and have more financial firepower as a champo side.)

There should definitely be no European football next season. Travel issues, movement of people etc it's just too soon. Take a fucking break. It's all about money fucking money :mourfacepalm:

Whatever happens, I bet it doesn’t end well for us. It’s just the life of a spurs fan.

We either a) get fuck all euro footy as per our league position or:

b) We get CL footy due to co-efficient points if City's ban is upheld.
c) We get CL footy if the season is cancelled outright.

Philosophically, there is no genuine loss to be had.

The teams relegated because of it however would probably kick up a fair bit of legal work that could delay the start of the next season.
Possibly but they are where they are, all shite and nailed on to get relegated. The only team who's as bad as them is Stratford, hard to pick but on balance, I'd say Watford (under Pearson) are better than the Banter Bowl dwellers.

But something has to be done and given all things considered it's very hard to argue that the 3 worst teams in the league are those that would go down if ppg were to decide the places.

Back
Top Bottom