The latest on the potential 5th CL spot

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

If we don't get 4th, we don't deserve Champions League anyway IMO,

Our inconsistency this season is a big tell that we wouldn't be ready for it next season.

Honestly I see us as a big work in progress, I fully believe Ange will take us to big places, but we need to give him time.

Completely agree with you. If we can't finish top four, we don't deserve CL. Europa league would be our level at that moment, and nothing wrong with that, as much as I can't wait to see us back in the CL.
Really irks me when fans discard the Europa League, as if it’s beneath us.

Would be incredible to win it.

It's nailed on. That the 5th placed English side gets ECL football. It is what it is but despite the FACT we have improved, it still feels underwhelming to be scraping 5th considering how we started the season.
Scraping CL qualification seems to be in the Spurs DNA at this point. If there are 4 spots, we'll just about finish 4th most seasons.

If there's 5 spots, we'll just about finish 5th.

If they expanded the CL to 17 PL teams, I expect that we'd narrowly escape relegation and qualify.

I'm so happy about tonight's results. Both english clubs going out is a victory for us. I wouldn't want to get in the CL by coming 5th anyway. It's like a sympathy vote and fuck that. It's not as if we've never played in it. Let Villa experience it for the first time. It's not our time.

Europa will do for the extra games and a more realistic chance of competing.

I'm quite zen about what competition we end up playing in next season.

It does make me laugh though that people want Europa so we can 'have a realistic chance' of winning it.

When have we looked like winning the Europa or Conference? All match threads are torn between playing the backups (who then struggle against 'farmers' with their managers in jail) or going too strong and messing up our Sunday Prem games.

We've got closer to winning the Champions League than we have the Europa or Conference League.

I suspect it'll be massively different with Ange but then again...Fulham...league cup...

It’s true.

To be in with a good chance of winning the Europa, we’ve got to take the competition seriously and treat it with respect.

For too long we’ve had this superior attitude that we’re better than most teams in it, so we should be going all the way. Unfortunately, it doesn’t work like that. Zagreb and Antwerp are still fresh in my memory.

I’d be okay with us being in the Europa League next season, but only if the team are going to give it a good go

Star Wars Doom GIF

So England would need Roma to beat Leverkusen over two legs with Leverkusen not winning a single game. PSG to do the same to Dortmund and Madrid to do the same to Bayern. Whilst Villa go all the way.

Let's just go get 4th

Ended Wham 5-1 Freiberg

3 English teams to kick off shortly Liverpool, Villa and Brighton - of which I expect the first 2 should win but not Brighton.

Whilst only one other German team, Bayer Leverkuesen who I expect to win.

So that would mean going forward Germany has 3 teams (2 in CL, 1 in EL) whilst England has 5 teams (2 in CL, 2 in EL and 1 in ECL) which should mean PL gaining enough points to win the extra CL place.

I’d hate to think we were only in it because of Woolwich progressing.
That is “a favour” I’d rather not be reminded of.
Their comfort in a hurtful defeat is that they’ve wrecked 5th place for us.
We will wreck that comfort by coming 4th.
Villa to progress tonight and have an eye on a trophy.
We just need to see to our business and not have any more abomination games. If we mess it up, we don’t deserve CL football. If we mess up 5th, we don’t deserve Europa.
It’s simple.

Taaa. Why on earth do Final winners not get points? Rhetorical, not expecting you to know, just a bizarre metric that losers get the same as winners, surely that should be the biggest point earner.

As I understand it the idea of the coefficient is to see which is the strongest league - so its weighted to how many clubs from any league get to group stages, last 16, Q/F etc.

So to that extent the 2 teams getting to a final attract points, rather than just a winner.

Its a logic - not saying its totally convincing but .......

Nope and Italians league is leading for the champions league 5th spot .
English and Italian clubs in the European quarter-finals:

CL
England 2 Italy 0

EL
England 2 Italy 3

ECL
England 1 Italy 1

Edit: Only 3 Italian clubs, at most, can reach the semi-finals. AC Milan play Roma in the EL quarter-finals.
Edit (2): Liverpool play Atalanta in the EL. If they beat them, Italy will have 2 clubs, at most, in the semis.

Last edited:
Probably an unpopular opinion, but I don’t think we should be in the CL if we finish 5th. It’s naff.

Just go and get 4th.

Completely agree with you. If we can't finish top four, we don't deserve CL. Europa league would be our level at that moment, and nothing wrong with that, as much as I can't wait to see us back in the CL.

Back
Top Bottom