The latest on the potential 5th CL spot

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Yet the guy who has been giving updates from ESPN put England second based on Uefa’s points after the games last week. No more have been played so I suspect this is fake news.

The PL should get a 5th CL place, but only for the team that finishes in 8th position.

That would make things very interesting in the final games.

Bayern & Leipzig both lose during the week and yet Germany go UP a spot.........? :avbcringe:

Got results in the other European competitions.

Once the English teams are back playing in the next rounds, we'll go up. Liverpool, Villa and City really should all be getting far or close to winning their respective comps really.

I'm probably misunderstanding due to this being the most convoluted thing ever, but I think 5th will probably be a CL spot this season.

We're less than a tenth of a point behind Germany in second and still have plenty of English teams in the competitions left who probably will advance.

I'd rather just get 4th over Villa anyway.

Yet the guy who has been giving updates from ESPN put England second based on Uefa’s points after the games last week. No more have been played so I suspect this is fake news.

Where PL (England) has missed out is the various play off matches - we have no competitors in those matches whereas other countries leagues do so pick up a few points whilst, not competing in these matches, we do not.

Still other knock out rounds to go which could alter positions but I think odds will be against PL getting to be in first or second place and getting a 5th PL place getting to CL

I'm probably misunderstanding due to this being the most convoluted thing ever, but I think 5th will probably be a CL spot this season.

We're less than a tenth of a point behind Germany in second and still have plenty of English teams in the competitions left who probably will advance.

I'd rather just get 4th over Villa anyway.

The EPL could very well clean-sweep all 3 European cups this season.

WHam & Arse are still in their respective comps too. Dunno who WH drew, but you'd expect the scum to get past Porto over 2 legs.

Where PL (England) has missed out is the various play off matches - we have no competitors in those matches whereas other countries leagues do so pick up a few points whilst, not competing in these matches, we do not.

Still other knock out rounds to go which could alter positions but I think odds will be against PL getting to be in first or second place and getting a 5th PL place getting to CL

It’s too early to tell. Besides ESPN‘s Dale Johnson who has been reporting on it from the start had us second last week. With the points, I posted it.

View: https://x.com/dalejohnsonespn/status/1757886763618472150?s=61&t=lOJ_HDnbTWvSuVGs5km_Hg

Theres been no games since then, so I don’t know where this news today has come from.

It’s too early to tell. Besides ESPN‘s Dale Johnson who has been reporting on it from the start had us second last week. With the points, I posted it.

View: https://x.com/dalejohnsonespn/status/1757886763618472150?s=61&t=lOJ_HDnbTWvSuVGs5km_Hg

Theres been no games since then, so I don’t know where this news today has come from.

That was posted on Wednesday. I posted the more recent one in this thread that includes the Thursday Europa and Conference League games.

We look more likely to be muscled out by United if the squad don’t sort their shit out.
I know they've won 4 in a row, but they really haven't looked that good.

Goal difference is a good metric to see who's been performing better overall and we're well clear of them in that regard. We haven't been great recently, but you don't really need to be to get fifth. 70 points is usually what it takes and we're still on target to get that.

The implication that you can accumulate more points by playing extra lesser games for not auto-qualifying for the latter stages is dumb as fuck......

Then again EConf.Lge should really have no bearing on the CL co-efficients at all anyway..... It's two notches below CL.

Last edited:
I know they've won 4 in a row, but they really haven't looked that good.

Goal difference is a good metric to see who's been performing better overall and we're well clear of them in that regard. We haven't been great recently, but you don't really need to be to get fifth. 70 points is usually what it takes and we're still on target to get that.

They’ve had harder recent fixtures. Villa, Luton and Wolves away. We’ve had three home games and Everton away.

We have much tougher fixtures coming up after Palace - lots of hard away games. Need to start being much more convincing at home.

United aren’t good but not sure how comfortable or uncomfortable their remaining fixtures are. We’ve still got to go to Stamford Bridge and Anfield and play Woolwich and City at home.

They’ve had harder recent fixtures. Villa, Luton and Wolves away. We’ve had three home games and Everton away.

We have much tougher fixtures coming up after Palace - lots of hard away games. Need to start being much more convincing at home.

United aren’t good but not sure how comfortable or uncomfortable their remaining fixtures are. We’ve still got to go to Stamford Bridge and Anfield and play Woolwich and City at home.
They've got tough fixtures as well, City and Chelsea away and they play liverpool and Woolwich at home.

We do need to fix up, and I think we will get it right. But I'm still looking more at Villa than Utd. They've scored 17 less goals than us. I don't see them getting fifth with a goalscoring record like that.

They've got tough fixtures as well, City and Chelsea away and they play liverpool and Woolwich at home.

We do need to fix up, and I think we will get it right. But I'm still looking more at Villa than Utd. They've scored 17 less goals than us. I don't see them getting fifth with a goalscoring record like that.

Seem to have worked out goal scoring a bit more lately with Hojlund finding his feet. But that may be unsustainable as he’s a young striker.

Similar hard fixtures then, but we need to sort out how hard we are finding on paper winnable home games. Palace needs to be straightforward.

Back
Top Bottom