The laws of football

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

What a fucking mess the game is in.

Nobody can fully claim to understand the logic of any of the following:

Handball
Serious foul play
Offside
Anything VAR
Accumulation of fouls
Tactical fouls
Time wasting

There’s probably more,

If you were making the rules as opaque as possible to create the maximum controversy, how would you do it differently?

Is it like this in other countries?

La Liga isn’t as regularly full of fuckery.

Do the FA, the Premier League and the PGMOL all need major reform at the same time?

Most of the above are subjective with the exception of offside. Even offside is incredibly difficult as you need to determine the exact point the ball was played.

So this and all of the others will need human interaction and interpretation. This is why IMO VAR offers nothing. I also feel the handball rules have been “shaped” to fit in with VAR to the point they do not work. Or, as you have said, are unfathomable.

Goal line technology works. Leave it at that.

Handball
Serious foul play
Offside
Anything VAR
Accumulation of fouls
Tactical fouls
Time wasting

There’s probably more,

If you were making the rules as opaque as possible to create the maximum controversy, how would you do it differently?

Do the FA, the Premier League and the PGMOL all need major reform at the same time?

I think the laws themselves are too complex, it’s like the tax code, they try and make things better by adding but often end up just making it a shambles.

Offside: go old school, if you are offside you are offside irrelevant of ‘interfering with play’ but take the goalie out of the equation, last outfield player is the marker only. Would make it very simple to officiate. You might even automate it like goal line tech.

Handball: does the arm/hand move towards the ball, hand to ball not ball to hand. Should always be on purpose.

Tactical fouls: maybe have a rule 4 fouls (or whatever number) and auto yellow card.

Time wasting: stop the clock every time the ball is out of play. Currently there is less than 60 mins of actual play, I think UEFA are already looking at have 60 min matches with stop clock as a means to combat time wasting.

Inconsistency is the problem. Maybe the inconsistency because of the ever changing laws but it's inconsistency all the same.

We've seen fouls given as reds when in other games, they simply haven't been. We've seen handball calls that have been given when others haven't. Offsides that have been given when others haven't.

Those shouldn't be hard. It also doesn't help that the officials try and be leniant at times or try and keep players on the pitch. Kovacic against Woolwich a massive example of this.

Romero was sent off yesterday for a follow through despite getting the ball. Yet last week Caicedo goes over the ball and plants his studs on a Brentford players shins and didn't see a red. What's the rules here?

Put up some walls and draw some lines on the field and play it like hockey. Let Romero & Sterling get in a punch up, and then send Romero to the sin bin for a few minutes.

Inconsistency is the problem. Maybe the inconsistency because of the ever changing laws but it's inconsistency all the same.

We've seen fouls given as reds when in other games, they simply haven't been. We've seen handball calls that have been given when others haven't. Offsides that have been given when others haven't.

Those shouldn't be hard. It also doesn't help that the officials try and be leniant at times or try and keep players on the pitch. Kovacic against Woolwich a massive example of this.

Romero was sent off yesterday for a follow through despite getting the ball. Yet last week Caicedo goes over the ball and plants his studs on a Brentford players shins and didn't see a red. What's the rules here?
I actually heard 2 pundits talking about this earlier. One said it shouldn't have been a red. The other said normally it shouldn't have been a red, but because it was Romero it should, because he is nasty and absolutely had malicious intent.

I think the laws themselves are too complex, it’s like the tax code, they try and make things better by adding but often end up just making it a shambles.

Offside: go old school, if you are offside you are offside irrelevant of ‘interfering with play’ but take the goalie out of the equation, last outfield player is the marker only. Would make it very simple to officiate. You might even automate it like goal line tech.

Handball: does the arm/hand move towards the ball, hand to ball not ball to hand. Should always be on purpose.

Tactical fouls: maybe have a rule 4 fouls (or whatever number) and auto yellow card.

Time wasting: stop the clock every time the ball is out of play. Currently there is less than 60 mins of actual play, I think UEFA are already looking at have 60 min matches with stop clock as a means to combat time wasting.
I think Danny Blanchflower comments on the lack of actual ball in play time in, “Soccer, My Way”. It’s a long term problem.

Handball
Serious foul play
Offside
Anything VAR
Accumulation of fouls
Tactical fouls
Time wasting

There’s probably more,

I watch La Liga and Serie A and both leagues are full of crazy decisions just like the PL, the difference is as far as I'm aware those countries have far more respect for the rules and unless they're terrible calls they don't become a story unlike the PL.

We aren't in a good state right now over here but fuck me the broadcasters, pundits, media don't half go on about referees in this country, they create a story out of anything and everything, it's mental.

We've allowed refereeing decisions to become the main talking points of our games, it's mental...I actually have a it if sympathy with referees in this country becsuse every decision now gets over scrutinised.

This had nothing to do with what you asked, just felt like a little rant 😆

I watch La Liga and Serie A and both leagues are full of crazy decisions just like the PL, the difference is as far as I'm aware those countries have far more respect for the rules and unless they're terrible calls they don't become a story unlike the PL.

We aren't in a good state right now over here but fuck me the broadcasters, pundits, media don't half go on about referees in this country, they create a story out of anything and everything, it's mental.

We've allowed refereeing decisions to become the main talking points of our games, it's mental...I actually have a it if sympathy with referees in this country becsuse every decision now gets over scrutinised.

VAR is waaaay less prominent in La Liga

El Classico the other day had one really contentious decision but none of the other shit searching for things to take centre stage.

If we are going all in on VAR they need to mic the bloody refs up.

Only way we'll understand what the fuck they are doing and what the rules are.

I understand their reticence to do so as the audio from the Liverpool "offside" was a car crash

Everything being decided behind closed doors only amplifies the animosity

Offside should just be judged via feet for starters. You can't tell me that a lean of 10 degrees gives any advantage if your feet are level: it just means you're ready to go and thinking faster/anticipating faster than the defender.

Also, yet to hear any explanation as to why they showed the son offside from one side of the pitch and having found it inconclusive, they looked from the other side...which meant you couldn't see the defender clearly. Does this happen on the regular?

See if you can answer this one correctly (from IFAB's own website)...

oozWWX3.png

If a free kick is kicked directly into the team's own goal, the referee awards a corner kick to the opposing team.

The offside rule is ridiculous as is VAR.
Football is about goals and great goals at that and we are being deprived of them because a player is millimetres offside. No,player can adjudge whether he is offsid when such measurements are considered. It’s the foot, only the foot and the whole foot that can should cause a player to be offside.
Again, VAR is supposed to,assist the referee but it is taking over. Perhaps it should only be used if the referees asks for it to look at an incident of which he is unsure. The term ‘ when a clear error is made’ is used but when VAR takes 5 minutes to reach a decision or tells the referee to look at the pitch side monitor, where is the ‘ clear error’ then?

VAR is waaaay less prominent in La Liga

El Classico the other day had one really contentious decision but none of the other shit searching for things to take centre stage.
Also in La Liga this weekend

Kicking the ball away at free kicks
Waving imaginary yellow cards

Both still going unpunised arbitrarily.

Just so annoying

Diving.
Holding in the box
Blocking FKs
Outfield vs in the box disparity
Mudryk/Nketiah style fouls on GKs.
Bullet proof players eg Paulinha/Fernandinho
Bullet proof managers eg Lego Cunt